Custom Lists: Beta Testing

Tools    

Warning! Pretty soon (maybe a day or two but almost certainly no later than next week), Custom Lists stuff will be on your posts, in place of the filled out lists thing. I'm still not sure how I want to display that, but long-term I think that's of less interest, so mentally prepare yourself for that being a lot less visible. There'll be an awkward transition where it displays Custom Lists if you have any and filled out lists otherwise, but eventually I'm pretty sure it's just gonna be "Custom Lists if you have 'em, no icon if you don't."

Okay, you can now order your custom lists. There's a "List Order" link on the page you view/create them from. It'll bring up an overlay, like the Settings overlay, and you can drag or drop them from there.

It should work fine, even though it's a little aesthetically janky. The look/layout will change a bit, but feel free to test it out.

Ordering feedback:
I have 14 lists in total. When I go into List Order it is only actually showing 11 lists and even though I reordered what was there (and it remembers what order I reordered them if I go into List Order again) those changes are not actually being reflected in either the Lists section of My Profile or in the Custom Lists area itself. Should they not be being reflected in those areas?

Ordering feedback:
I have 14 lists in total. When I go into List Order it is only actually showing 11 lists
Can't account for this. Is it just that there's too many and it doesn't scroll? Are you seeing just Public ones, perhaps?

and even though I reordered what was there (and it remembers what order I reordered them if I go into List Order again) those changes are not actually being reflected in either the Lists section of My Profile or in the Custom Lists area itself. Should they not be being reflected in those areas?
Not yet. This is just the most rudimentary, didn't-exist-at-all-until-just-before-I-posted-about-it version. It'll be reflected on the page you opened the settings from (you'll have to refresh). Just checking to make sure that works before I apply things anywhere else.

Can't account for this. Is it just that there's too many and it doesn't scroll? Are you seeing just Public ones, perhaps?
There's no option to scroll. Of the fourteen lists two are Private - both of those are being included in the eleven that come up to be reordered. Looks like it's just listing the first eleven it finds from the top down.

Not yet. This is just the most rudimentary, didn't-exist-at-all-until-I-posted-about-it version. It'll be reflected on the page you opened the settings from (you'll have to refresh). Just checking to make sure that works before I apply things anywhere else.
Yeah, refresh worked. A novice error - I should have thunked of that

There's no option to scroll. Of the fourteen lists two are Private - both of those are being included in the eleven that come up to be reordered. Looks like it's just listing the first eleven it finds from the top down.
Very odd, there's nothing limiting the results there at all. Guess I'll investigate further. If you can take a screenshot without much hassle that would help, but no big deal if it's annoying to do so.

Yeah, refresh worked. A novice error - I should have thunked of that
Thanks for clarifying. I'm not entirely sure how to handle that, it seems a little much to force a refresh, but I'll think about it. Probably will just end up putting a notice on the overlay.

Ah, yeah, that is a scroll thing. There's no scrollbar but there should be. Thanks, that helps a lot, should be an easy fix.

EDIT: should (probably) work now.

Kewl, I'll retest it in the morning - tfb for me now.

EDIT: should (probably) work now.
Yep, all fourteen now show up

Just one thing, and it's really not a big thing .... if you want to move one higher up (or lower down) the list to a point that's not currently visible you have to drop it near the top (or bottom), scroll and then pick it up and move it again. Would be easier/nicer if it recognised you were moving a list and auto-scrolled either up/down when it reaches the current limit.

Just a thought as I'm not really much of a list person yet even then am over the 'page' limit, can only imagine how many a fervent list-hound might make ('My top 25 movies where the bearded female protagonist with a lisp is left-handed' etc. ).

Still testing, but already got some aesthetic wishes / suggestions for future tweaks and updates.

- Currently the posters/artwork of the top 9 movies on each custom list are shown, would be cool if it displayed the top 10.
- Perhaps a green check symbol behind the movie titles you've already seen. Instead of a list with all crossed out titles, enhancing the visibility/readability/overall look of the custom list.

- Currently the posters/artwork of the top 9 movies on each custom list are shown, would be cool if it displayed the top 10.
There will eventually be options for layout. How many, I'm not sure. Can't display the top 10 with that particular layout, though, since it'd be uneven.

- Perhaps a green check symbol behind the movie titles you've already seen. Instead of a list with all crossed out titles, enhancing the visibility/readability/overall look of the custom list.
My thinking is in most cases people making lists will have seen everything, but I'm still thinking about how and whether to display things like checks and ratings for the list owner/others/whoever.

Anyway, hold off just a bit on suggestions, if ya' can. As I mentioned a bit earlier, I have a list of features and tweaks to get through and I'll wager 90% of what people want is already on there. There will definitely be time for feedback on other things once that's done, though, but I want to avoid spending time on redundancies, of which I suspect there would be a lot.

In other words, the BETA part is legit and everybody can rest easy that this is a long way from done.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
@Yoda, I have a quick question.

When I view someone else's custom lists, I can cross of the movies that I've already seen. At the bottom of the page, there's a "SAVE" button. What happens if I save someone else's custom list? Does it just save a record of the movies that I've seen? (I assume that it doesn't create a copy of their list on my list page, but I just want to make sure before I click on that button.)

@Yoda, I have a quick question.

When I view someone else's custom lists, I can cross of the movies that I've already seen. At the bottom of the page, there's a "SAVE" button. What happens if I save someone else's custom list? Does it just save a record of the movies that I've seen? (I assume that it doesn't create a copy of their list on my list page, but I just want to make sure before I click on that button.)
I can answer that for you gb - yes, it just saves any changes you have made as to what on that particular list you've watched. It doesn't make a copy of the list.

Sorry, meant to reply sooner. Yeah, you're safe. In theory (heh) I won't be putting out anything even in beta that can wreak serious havoc (and I have backups in case I somehow do).

I'm still not sure if I want that button there or not, though. It's kinda hard to figure out how to orient this stuff, since it can send "mixed messages" from a development standpoint to have this be both about creating lists and about filling them out. Tricky stuff.

I can answer that for you gb - yes, it just saves any changes you have made as to what on that particular list you've watched. It doesn't make a copy of the list.
Thank you.

Sorry, meant to reply sooner. Yeah, you're safe. In theory (heh) I won't be putting out anything even in beta that can wreak serious havoc (and I have backups in case I somehow do).
That's good to know. I have copies of all of my lists, but I don't want to have to re-input them if I don't have to, especially if it's because I clicked on something that I shouldn't have clicked on.

I'm still not sure if I want that button there or not, though. It's kinda hard to figure out how to orient this stuff, since it can send "mixed messages" from a development standpoint to have this be both about creating lists and about filling them out. Tricky stuff.
I like the idea off being able to cross off the "seen" movies from other people's lists. I just didn't want it to save a copy of their list in my custom lists.

@Yoda, I think we may have found a bug.

@John-Connor posted a link to his custom Western Watchlist in the Western Countdown thread, but when I clicked on it, it showed as a "private" list.

When he replied to my comment about it and said that it was set as "public", I tried seeing his list by going through the "Lists" link on his Profile page, and I was able to see his list.

Also, when I clicked on the "Back to Custom Lists" link from the page from his link, (the one that showed that his list was "private"), it brought me to my Custom Lists page, not his.

Here's a screenshot of the page that I got to by clicking on his link in the Western's Countdown thread:

Ah, I see what happened. He posted a link to the URL he created the list from, not the actual list. It's like posting a link to the User CP: everyone who clicks on it will see their User CP, not the one of whoever posted it.

The URL to his actual list is on the bottom right (or he can get it by clicking on View List) at the button.
@John-Connor

Just went and edited the original post in the Westerns thread, too, and posted a clarification. To make matters more confusing, the text of the link was the correct URL, but it was linked to the wrong one!

Anyway, I've added in a few lines of code to throw an error if someone tries to do this again, at least, but yeah, just a matter of accidentally linking the wrong URL, is what it seems to be.