The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Meh, no different than the invisible force field protagonists have when bad guys try to shoot them.
No,the bullets are steered off course by magnetic forces emitting from the proper camera angles.

It didn't even occur to me that superhero movies would make this countdown. It's cool, it's just that I kind of forgot they even existed.
Same.

I'm so glad World of Tomorrow made the list! I'm a huge fan of Don Hertzfeldt and World of Tomorrow was the movie that really introduced him to me. My dad showed it to me when, if I'm remembering correctly, it was first released on Netflix years ago, and I've taken to wanting to show it to everyone I can too.

Don Hertzfeldt recently put the whole thing on his YouTube, for those who haven't seen it, and I think it's a great introduction to his style of absurd humor mixed with deep emotional gut-punches. One of the appeals of his work to me is also the way he juxtaposes really heightened fantastical elements with the mundane realities of everyday life.

I just told my mom when I showed it to her again the other day, the line "Now is the envy of all of the dead," sounds like something out of classic literature, but it's pure Don Hertzfeldt.

There are two sequels that are both great and I highly recommend as well.

It was my #8.

This is a big nope for me so far.
I didn't see either movie.
I will never see The Raid, though I do like the beginning where the crime lord locks all the cops in the building and proceeds to watch the melee on multiple CCTVs. The oh sh@t factor is funny but I don't really care for the overblown nature of modern action films.
I probably won't see The World of Tomorrow ever either. I just don't watch short films. When I settle down to watch something I do not expect to get up for a while. But it does look intriguing.
0 seen
2 not seen
0 on my ballot

I've actually seen (some of) one of these. I started The Raid and, while it was bang bang I enjoyed it. Then it became punch, kick and it bored me. It's brilliantly choreographed, as has been said already, but that makes it like dancing and I've no interest in watching that either (unless there's a pole or the removal of clothes involved) so I switched it off and have no desire to take another look. It did make me think I'd probably prefer Dredd (which I'm assuming is a lot more bang bang than punch kick?) but I've not seen that either.

Not seen World of Tomorrow.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I've actually seen (some of) one of these. I started The Raid and, while it was bang bang I enjoyed it. Then it became punch, kick and it bored me. It's brilliantly choreographed, as has been said already, but that makes it like dancing and I've no interest in watching that either (unless there's a pole or the removal of clothes involved) so I switched it off and have no desire to take another look. It did make me think I'd probably prefer Dredd (which I'm assuming is a lot more bang bang than punch kick?) but I've not seen that either.

Not seen World of Tomorrow.
Bang Bang in Slow-Mo.

Suspect's Reviews

You could watch all 3 World of Tomorrow films at once and you'd be sitting down for 74 minutes.

I probably won't see The World of Tomorrow ever either. I just don't watch short films. When I settle down to watch something I do not expect to get up for a while. But it does look intriguing.

The Raid is what it is. Not my style but I get it. Dredd is better though.

World of Tomorrow is classic (but not classic!) Hertzfeldt and I enjoyed all three, the first being the best though. I have something else by Hertzfeldt on my list which I believe we'll see much higher. It's likely gained votes after showing up on another list.

Happy to see mark f have this particular short film on his list and make it.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

The poor original Raid. Hunkered in the shadows of its monolithic sequel. You can almost forget there was a movie that came before it. I did. But that doesn't mean it isn't extremely good and any wannabe action director should be choking in envy at Edwards ability to convey the pure exhilaration and physicality of movie violence.

I can say the same for World of Tomorrow, dwarfed beneath the directors previous accomplishment. But it deserves lots of love as well. And also lots of words. Unlike Beautiful Day, this films narrative is just as important and unique as it's style and humor and human insight. But because I'm ass at dissecting plots, I'm not even going to disgrace myself trying. But it is a thing of beauty, even if I can't adequately describe it

I wonder how many A24 films will end up on the countdown.
Hmmm, I say probably around 10, give or take...

Under the Skin
Ex Machina
The Witch
Moonlight
A Ghost Story
First Reformed
Hereditary
Midsommar
The Lighthouse
Uncut Gems

Others that might have a chance...

Spring Breakers
Enemy
Room
Green Room
The Blackcoat's Daughter
It Comes at Night
Good Time
The Killing of a Sacred Deer
Lady Bird
Eighth Grade
High Life

Under The Skin I actually don't expect to show nearly as much as Room.

My favorite movie from each of the lists in Thief's post.

One of them made my ballot.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Here we go again.

I've heard none of the first two reveals.

Looking forward to the next ones.
Good Night!