Movie Tab II

Tools    

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Spider-Man 2 - "I know you think we can't be together, but can't you respect me enough to let me make my own decision? I know there'll be risks but I want to face them with you. It's wrong that we should be only half alive... half of ourselves. I love you. So here I am - standing in your doorway. I have always been standing in your doorway." this quote sort of fits my life right now.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Mansfield Park (1999) - Patricia Rozema
Like all the other Jane Austen movies, this is a perfectly decent way to waste a couple of hours.

X2: X-Men United (2003) - Bryan Singer
I remember absolutely nothing about this but I gave it a
so I guess I quite liked it?

Walkabout (1971) - Nicolas Roeg
Took me a while to get past the family living in Sydney seemingly being able to drive into the desert, with no roads near by, in their VW one afternoon. I guess that's what happens when people in other countries make movies about Australia Beyond that it was good.
+

The Philadelphia Story (1940) - George Cukor
Nice movie, silly ending.
+

The Time Machine (1960) - George Pal
A childhood favourite. Horribly acted by most of the cast but such an enjoyable story.

Hard Eight (1996) - Paul Thomas Anderson
Obviously Anderson has done better but it's a pretty good debut.

Belle (2014) - Amma Asante
A flawed movie that slips into clichés too often but the story of a girl with an English father and African mother raised in a rich family in 18th century Britain is a fascinating and emotional one.
+

La Dolce Vita (1960) - Federico Fellini
I'd never watched a Fellini movie. Always wanted to but every time I think about it I feel like they will be hard work - but surprisingly for a three hour movie this was remarkably easy to watch thanks largely to Mastroianni.
-

Mammoth (2009) - Lukas Moodysson
I love the way Moodysson builds flawed characters that I care about. His ability to do this means that even though his movies are far from perfect they are always highly enjoyable. This Babel-esque movie starring Michelle Williams is not his best work but I liked it a lot.

Games of Love & Chance (2003) - Abdel Kechiche
IMO Moodysson and Kechiche are two of the best modern directors when it comes to character driven movies and for that reason they have become two of my favourites. This is a remarkably well acted movie about Muslim teenagers in Paris dealing with growing up and love - most of the cast being amateurs.
-

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Mission: Killfast (Ted V. Mikels, 1991)
+
A House in the Hills (Ken Wiederhorn, 1996)

April Fool’s Day (Butcher Bros., 2008)
-
Roman Holiday (William Wyler, 1953)

While trying to get a scoop, American newspaperman Gregory Peck shows princess Audrey Hepburn the most carefree, fun and romantic day of her life.
Beautiful Bavaria (James A. FitzPatrick, 1953)
-
The Fan (Edward Bianchi, 1981)

Hold Your Breath (Jared Cohn, 2012)

Blind Husbands (Erich von Stroheim, 1919)
-

Womanizing Austrian lieutenant Erich von Stroheim sets his sights on the wife, Francelia Billington, of American doctor Sam De Grasse, who forsakes her while obsessing over his mountain-climbing.
Green Mansions (Mel Ferrer, 1959)
+
Over the Counter (Jack Cummings, 1932)

The Gospel (Rob Hardy, 2005)

Tony Manero (Pablo Larraín, 2008)

In Pinochet’s Chile, a man (Alfredo Castro) obsessed with the John Travolta character in Saturday Night Fever also has obsessions with violent killings.
The Jane Austen Book Club (Robin Swicord, 2007)

The Bounty Hunter (Andre De Toth, 1954)

Eraser (Chuck Russell, 1996)
+
Persepolis (Vincent Paronnaud & Marjane Satrapi, 2007)

Marjit is confronted by the fashion police in post-Shah Iran, but they let her go when she feigns abuse at home.
Creep (Christopher Smith, 2004)
+
Secret People (Thorold Dickinson, 1952)

Seance (Mark L. Smith, 2006)

Doctor Who: Deep Breath (Ben Wheatley, 2014)

The good doctor, Peter Capaldi, and his companion, Jenna Coleman, realize that everyone else at their restaurant is an enemy.

Jason and the Argonauts (Nick Willing, 2000)
-
I saw that film many times when I was young! Back then, I thought it was absolutely EPIC (I was a 10 year old boy or something, so all that stuff looked awesome to me). I'm not too sure what I'd think of it now, though.

Roman Holiday (William Wyler, 1953)

While trying to get a scoop, American newspaperman Gregory Peck shows princess Audrey Hepburn the most carefree, fun and romantic day of her life.
Audrey looks wonderful there!
This film nearly made my top 101. I LOVE it!

Roman Holiday was immediately thrown into my top ten when I first saw it. Audrey Hepburn was my favorite actress back then.

Roman Holiday was immediately thrown into my top ten when I first saw it. Audrey Hepburn was my favorite actress back then.
She's a dream, isn't she?

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid* (George Roy Hill, 1969) –

Sansho the Bailiff (Kenji Mizoguchi, 1954) –
+
Aguirre, the Wrath of God* (Werner Herzog, 1972) –

Maniac* (William Lustig, 1980) –

Signs of Life (Werner Herzog, 1968) –

Boyhood* (Richard Linklater, 2014) –

Stroszek (Werner Herzog, 1977) –

Mrs. Doubtfire* (Chris Columbus, 1993) –
+
The Thin Red Line* (Terrence Malick, 1998) –

Heart of Glass (Werner Herzog, 1976) –
+

*Rewatch

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Sansho the Bailiff (Kenji Mizoguchi, 1954) –
+
Aguirre, the Wrath of God* (Werner Herzog, 1972) –

Stroszek (Werner Herzog, 1977) –

The Thin Red Line* (Terrence Malick, 1998) –
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

L'Avventura (Michelangelo Antonioni, 1960)

Fantastic exercise in atmosphere that uses great imagery to capture the mood of the characters after a woman goes missing on an island. Great chemistry between the two main characters, and fantastic use of camerawork to make us feel like someone is watching them.

All About Eve (Joseph L. Mankiewicz, 1950)
+

A great acerbic script, and some fantastic performances, I can see why so many people love this. I didn't find it as powerful or emotionally involving as some other films that I truly love though.

Under The Skin (Jonathan Glazer, 2013)
+

Great film that shares a lot in terms of story with another favourite of mine, The Man Who Fell to Earth. Interesting critique of human beings and lifestyle, relationships and such. Wonderfully shot as it mixes hidden camera and surreal scenes. Loved the strange 'fixer' type of character, a simple but effective tale as the hunter becomes hunted.

Blow (Ted Demme, 2001)
-

As cricket said in another thread, with Scorsese at the helm this could have been a hell of a film. The content is interesting enough to make it enjoyable for some, but I just found it very dull with very few memorable moments, no where near as fun as it should have been.

The Philadelphia Story (George Cukor, 1940)
+

Great classic old film that could become a favourite. I absolutely love Cary Grant and james Stewart who gives a superb performance as a character who I absolutely loved, the story was a bit silly at times but I knew what to expect and it left a smile on my face

Sexy Beast (Jonathan Glazer, 2000)
-

Great British crime film with fantastic performances by the now typecast Ray Winstone and Ben Kingsley. Wonderfully odd script that was right up my street. Instead of being a buddy heist film that I half expected, it focuses more before the crime and the relationship between Winstone and Kingsley who provides many unforgettable scenes. Great soundtrack and great to see Ian McShane in a small role too.

Goldfinger (Guy Hamilton, 1964)

Arguably the greatest Bond film. A rewatch of a favourite, it has everything that makes me love the series. Sean Connery gives probably his best performance, and opposite him Gert Fröbe is great as Goldfinger. The supporting characters are some of the most memorable of the series with Pussy Galore and Oddjob. Many great and memorable scenes, the laser, the gold course, and the fort knox ending.

James Bond: Do you expect me to talk?
Auric Goldfinger: No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!

Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa (Jeff Tremaine, 2013)

Interesting concept and it does have some great moments, but overall I thought there were too many dull moments, like it was mixed in what it wanted to be, a serious movie or just full of laugh out loud comedy.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Sergio Leone, 1966)
-

Mrs. Doubtfire (Chris Columbus, 1993) (Rewatch)

Unhung Hero (Brian Spitz, 2013)
+

The Virgin Spring (Ingmar Bergman, 1960)
-

The Children's Hour (William Wyler, 1961)
+

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

The Night of the Following Day (Hubert Cornfield, 1968)

They Gave Him a Gun (W.S. Van Dyke, 1937)

The Little Ranger (Gordon Douglas, 1938)

The Family Way (Boulting Bros., 1966)
+

Young newlyweds Hayley Mills and Hywel Bennett cannot consummate their marriage due to the fact that their planned honeymoon fell through and they live at his parents' house.
Mystery Team (Dan Eckman, 2009)

The Avenging Angel (Craig R. Baxley, 1995)

Hard to Get (Ray Enright, 1938)
+
Trilogy: The Weeping Meadow (Theodoros Angelopoulos, 2004)
+

A lyrical funeral on a river in 1936 Greece is one of many long shots in the epic film.
New Jerusalem (Rick Alverson, 2011)

My Cousin Vinny (Jonathan Lynn, 1992)

Going Places (Ray Enright, 1938)
+
Wolf Creek (Greg Mclean, 2005)

Crazed Australian bushman John Jarratt terrorizes stranded backpacker Cassandra Magrath.
The Pride and the Passion (Stanley Kramer, 1957)

Lady L (Peter Ustinov, 1965)

Van Gogh: Darkness Into Light (Fritz Goodwin, 1956)

The Life and Death of 9413, a Hollywood Extra (Robert Florey & Slavko Vorkapich, 1928)
-

Dreaming of making it big in Hollywood, Jules Raucourt starts as a film extra, but work is difficult to find in this classic experimental film.
Dawn at Socorro (George Sherman, 1954)

100 Years at the Movies (Chuck Workman, 1994)

Brass Target (John Hough, 1978)

Operation Crossbow (Michael Anderson, 1965)

During WWII, Allied agent George Peppard is sent behind enemy lines to try to foil the Nazis' V-2 rocket program.

Wolf Creek (Greg Mclean, 2005)

Crazed Australian bushman John Jarratt terrorizes stranded backpacker Cassandra Magrath.
This movie is awesome !

From the 70s Countdown:

Nashville B
Mad Max C
Picnic at Hanging Rock B+
American Graffiti B+
Fantastic Planet B-
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre B
The Long Goodbye B+
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory B

Plus these:

The Fisher King B+
The Survivors C
How to Marry a Millionaire B+
Rounders B

Going to watch All That Jazz now.

Trilogy: The Weeping Meadow (Theodoros Angelopoulos, 2004)
+
Looks better to me this way.

Body Double (1984)

Faptastic.

Samsara (2011)

Stunning visuals. All these wonderful places in the world, and I'm sitting here and... never mind.

To Catch a Thief (1955)

Not top tier Hitchcock and it lacks focus at times, but it's great to look at, with Cary Grant bringing his A-game.

Winter Light (1962)

Watching a Bergman film is definitely never time wasted. Wasn't that impressed by this one, but there are things in it that I admire. And I'll always admire Bergman as a director, but in some of his films, such as this one, he fails to truly hit me, or affect me in a way that a great director should. This could have been one hell of a film, but I feel that he barely scratched the surface.

The Virgin Spring (1960)

Pretty much the same way I feel about Winter Light. Like that film, it has great photography, but ultimately unconvincing in its execution. Max von Sydow is terrific here though, like in nearly everything I've seen with him. I don't care much for actors but I'm really starting to like this dude.

The Deer Hunter (1978)

Three hours long, and not one single scene/line in this film stood out. Even the one good scene in the film (Russian roulette) gets tiresome because of how repetitive it becomes. Such a good cast, material and setting, all wasted. Shame, really.

Harold and Maude (1971)

Didn't even like the premise of this to begin with, and I gave it a try only because it made the 70s list. I don't like being so harsh against particular films, but when you feel as though you've literally wasted nearly two hours that could have been spent on a truly great film, you just cannot help but let it all out. This is easily the worst film I've seen all year. I would rather drown in a pit of boiling hot oil than watch this again.

Rating mediocre Hitchcock film higher than Bergman masterpieces? You can't join my imaginary LEGIT movie watchers club.