Movies that made you cry

Tools    

I can certainly understand Up, though that didn’t make me cry. I have a hard time crying ‘irl’, as it were, at actual life events. I can’t cry at funerals or when I get injured, I didn’t cry at any point around my very serious surgery back in the day, etc. For the longest time, I felt like I couldn’t cry at all.

Then at some point about seven years ago, I found myself crying at some select films. To this day I can’t really cry to/at anything else, so I guess that’s part of why film is so important/therapeutic for me. I still cry pretty rarely, but more often now, especially in the last few years. The ones I can recall crying intensely at (the first time I saw them at least) were I, Tonya, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (I felt rather disproportionately bad for Willoughby), and Killers of the Flower Moon (can’t explain why I cried). There must be more, but I can’t think of them.

I also cried at one point when watching Mr Robot (
WARNING: spoilers below
Tyrell’s death was perfect plotting-wise imo — I’m controversial here, I know — but I still felt immensely sad for him, ridiculously so
). I think there’s a certain theme (?) (that sounds odd but also about right) to what makes me cry these days; I tend to feel bad for villains, antiheroes, all sorts of characters few people ‘empathise’ with and I find myself crying because I feel bad for them while realising this isn’t a perspective most people have any patience for, and that I’m probably ‘in the wrong’ and this is all counter-productive.

Then again, my therapist tells me I’m holding in so much stress that it has to come out somehow, so it could just be that. *laughs maniacally*

I am a softy these days. Just hearing the music from the final scene in Arrival, for instance, gets me all misty eyed. Some titles that come to mind that got me are Aftersun, Gravity, The Fountain, Grave of the Fireflys, Million Dollar Baby, Little Women ('94), Interstellar, The Elephant Man

There are many more...
Yeah the scene in Little Women 94 with Claire Danes, powerful stuff!

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I am a softy these days. Just hearing the music from the final scene in Arrival, for instance, gets me all misty eyed. Some titles that come to mind that got me are Aftersun, Gravity, The Fountain, Grave of the Fireflys, Million Dollar Baby, Little Women ('94), Interstellar, The Elephant Man

There are many more...
I forgot about The Fountain. The soundtrack alone will break me! Particularly the track, "Death is the Road to Awe" near the end.

FINISH IT!

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

If it includes the names places and events and the likeness of those around you, then it could make you cry. Especially if it mocks you, but even if it didnt and it was all good stuff anyone would get upset over the fact some weirdo is watching them from the shadows and making movies about them. So in that sense, a movie could make you cry without you even seeing it.

I don't remember every film that has made me cry but the two that jump to mind first and foremost when trying to think of qualifying films are Pan's Labyrinth and Inside Out, both during the ending and both prompted some very ugly crying.

A movie I would have never expected to make me cry is BlackBerry.

WARNING: spoilers below
That ending where Laziridis saw his three least favorite words on all those defective models, "made in China," is such a pure and poignant representation of the death of a dream. Kudos also goes to the soundtrack department for playing Waterloo Sunset in the background.

What movies made you cry?

Plus why & which scenes?

Many but especially that moment in Rain Man when Charlie and Raymond touch heads.

And Lion King The Stampede gets me every time!

One time my brother and I were play fighting and I flew off the couch and smacked my face onto a VHS tape and it hurt so much that I cried. But that was a long time ago in 1990.

As a kid there were a few: E.T, C.H.O.M.P.S, Watership Down and The Champ jump to mind but as an adult the closest I've come to tearing up is Hachi.