Noirvember 2023 - Rate the last noir you watched

Tools    

Ha! Well, it went pretty good, considering everything. The depression from the film pretty quickly wore off. We got back to her parent's house, put on some great Nat "King" Cole mood music, and got to petting. Too young for sex..

But somehow we never had a second date. I'll have to blame Susan Hayward for that..
Ah the good old days! Hopefully her parents were already in bed. Somehow I'm not thinking of an early Happy Days episode were Richie brings his date back to his parents house, trying really hard not to wake them up.

Gotta find me more 60 minute or so noirs. That way I can squeeze more in. Anybody seen any good ones?
RKO did more noirs than anyone, so that would include a bunch of shorties. Here is a link to their entire film output:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...Pictures_films

I don't know if they did one before Cat People in 1942 (73 mins.), but there were a boatload of them.

And lots of "B'' noirs were made by poverty row studios like Eagle-Lion, maybe Monogram or Republic.

Ah the good old days! Hopefully her parents were already in bed. Somehow I'm not thinking of an early Happy Days episode were Richie brings his date back to his parents house, trying really hard not to wake them up.
Boy, does THAT scenario sound familiar...

The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry (1945) Directed by Robert Siodmak. Starring George Sanders, Geraldine Fitzgerald, and Ella Raines. A possessive sister interferes with her brother's love life. I was enjoying the film up until that awful ending (groan). I thought the performances were good and I was entertained. Just try to overlook the final few minutes. Watched on Youtube.

The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry (1945) Directed by Robert Siodmak. Starring George Sanders, Geraldine Fitzgerald, and Ella Raines. A possessive sister interferes with her brother's love life. I was enjoying the film up until that awful ending (groan). I thought the performances were good and I was entertained. Just try to overlook the final few minutes. Watched on Youtube.
Sold! I'm watching that one tonight and I don't even know what those final few minutes are about I guess I'll find out.

Sold! I'm watching that one tonight and I don't even know what those final few minutes are about I guess I'll find out.
Enjoy! I'll be very curious to hear your thoughts after.

Heck yeah, Joan Crawford is always great.

Going to watch Nightmare Alley tonight, and then I’ll watch the remake tomorrow to compare the two.
Definitely interested in hearing your thoughts on both of those.
Watched both 'back to back' not so long ago, both aren't bad but I wouldn't classify as 'must see' for the countdown.

NIGHTMARE ALLEY 1947 Edmund Goulding

1h 50m | Drama | Film-Noir
Writers: Jules Furthman, William Lindsay Gresham
Cast: Tyrone Power, Joan Blondell, Coleen Gray, Helen Walker, Taylor Holmes, Mike Mazurki, Ian Keith, Roy Roberts

+

NIGHTMARE ALLEY 2021 Guillermo del Toro

2h 30m | Crime | Thriller | Drama
Writers: Kim Morgan, William Lindsay Gresham
Cast: Bradley Cooper, Cate Blanchett, Toni Collette, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins, Rooney Mara, Ron Perlman, Mary Steenburgen

Another combo I watched back to back was The Narrow Margin '52 + '90. Now that 's a combo I highly recommend! The original is a serious contender for my ballot at the moment.

NARROW MARGIN 1990 Peter Hyams
(70/100)

1h 37m | Crime | Thriller
Writers: Peter Hyams, Earl Felton, Martin Goldsmith
Cast: Gene Hackman, Anne Archer, James B. Sikking, Harris Yulin, J.T. Walsh

THE NARROW MARGIN 1952 Richard Fleischer
+ (74/100)

1h 11m | Crime | Drama | Film-Noir | Thriller
Writers: Earl Felton, Martin Goldsmith, Jack Leonard
Cast: Charles McGraw, Marie Windsor, Jacqueline White, Gordon Gebert, Queenie Leonard

STRAY DOG 1949 ‘野良犬’ Akira Kurosawa

-

WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS 1950 Otto Preminger
-

Both great and both in consideration for my ballot.

Watching tonight:

Yeah, the ending was decidedly "un-noir". And in fact it took away most of its noir cred. The original play by Thomas Job didn't have the phony dream sequence, and the two sisters actually got their fate.

Universal changed the ending thinking the Production Code would take exception to the original ending, which infuriated producer Joan Harrison (of Hitchcock fame) to where she left Universal.

I also think that, although I love George Sanders, he was miscast in this role. And you could almost tell he was uncomfortable. I'd love to see a faithful remake of the play, which is a true noir.

The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry (1945)

I liked this, it was engaging and kept me hooked from the start which is also a plus. I wouldn't call it noir even though it's tagged as such on Wiki & IMDB, so it is eligible for the Noir Countdown. I'd say it was more of a gothic drama and reminded me of a cross between The Little Foxes (1941) and The Barretts of Wimpole Street (1934). When Allaby said the ending was something to overlook, I thought it might some provocatively shocking for the time ending...But it was just plain a shock! But I did like the movie and thought all the actors were real good. Glad to have watched it.

Pushover (1954) Directed by Richard Quine and starring Fred MacMurray and Kim Novak. An undercover cop falls for a bank robber's girl. An entertaining noir with good performances. Watched on YouTube.

Pushover (1954) Directed by Richard Quine and starring Fred MacMurray and Kim Novak. An undercover cop falls for a bank robber's girl. An entertaining noir with good performances. Watched on YouTube.
Oh! sounds like another good one. I always like Fred MacMurray and pairing him with Kim Novak in a dangerous love triangle sounds interesting. I'll watch it.

Whirlpool (1950) Otto Preminger directs Gene Tierney and José Ferrer in this tale of murder and hypnotism. I thought this was entertaining and with an interesting story.

My Name Is Julia Ross (1945)

I didn't care for this one. It was only an hour long but that was one long hour. It's tagged noir but it's not. It's psychological gothic horror with a woman being held in an old mansion against her will. Her captors who claim to be her husband and mother in law, gaslight her by telling the young woman (Nina Foch) that she's been sick 'crazy' and is indeed who they say she is. The movie offers little other than tensions from this poor woman trying to escape...horror fans might like it...but noir fans could skip it.