DVD Aficionado

Tools    

I have one. I'm not sure what you mean, but integrating it into MoFo sounds great.

Yeah, see I don't pay for movies so I'd probably just join for the hell of it, if it's a different site altogether that is.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I recently got my collection up on their site. Took me about three-and-a-half days.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Yeah, some kind of bulk adding is one of the most obvious features for a site like this, but I don't know if any of them have it. None of them seem to be making a lot of effort, given how much easier to use they could be.

Got a couple of ideas to make any possible transition easy, too. Just gauging whether this is worthwhile or not.

Yeah, hopefully. I found a nice resource for populating a database of films, but it won't do me much good unless I can find something similar for specific DVDs. That could end up putting the breaks on this, depending on what I find.

That said, the resource I've been using should allow me to do some fairly useful things, even if this doesn't end up being one of them. But I'm still holding out hope that I can find a DVD data source for these purposes.

Actually, it's worth asking: how much do you guys care about specific versions of DVDs or Blu-Rays? That is, would it be about as useful to simply have a list of movies to choose from, or would it be far less enticing to use if you couldn't specifically list your two-disc special edition for the film?

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
Actually, it's worth asking: how much do you guys care about specific versions of DVDs or Blu-Rays? That is, would it be about as useful to simply have a list of movies to choose from, or would it be far less enticing to use if you couldn't specifically list your two-disc special edition for the film?
Well there are so many cash-grabben double..nay i say quadruple dips editions of movie titles these days, i think it would be helpful to be able to catalogue it by edition.

Simetimes imo the double discer is leaps and bounds better than the original offering, just as often its a whole bunch of filler that can be accessed online easily.

thats my 2 Canadian cents on the matter, which depending on the day may be worth a lil less or a lil more than anothers.

Oh yeah, there are huge differences. I'm mainly just wondering if this distinction is important enough to abandon the application if I can't find the necessary data sources. That is, is it worth doing at all if people can only list movies they own, rather than specific editions of those movies?

oh. well i know absolutely SFA about writing programs so i dont know.

is it possible to beta test it one way, and add to it if its lacking?

Not really. But we're not quite on the same page.

To clarify, this isn't about merely starting simple and expanding. As of right now, I have no way of getting the specific edition DVD data. I do, however, have a way of getting at a simple movie database. If I can get the specific edition DVD data, that'd be great, but I don't know if I can. So, I have to decide: is this worth building even if I don't have that? Is it something people would still want to use if they could only list movies they own, and not necessarily specific versions of those movies?

I'm of the mind that that probably wouldn't be enticing enough for most movie lovers, but I thought I'd ask.

I'm guessing that most would like to be able to list their specific edition of said film. Personally, I don't care. The other problem you (may) have is listing the different regions of the same disc. Back in the day, people would buy R1 discs because they'd usually have better extras than the R2 disc. There's not the disparity that there was, but it's still an issue. Also, I certain that the owners of Criterion editions would like to list those as such.

Not really. But we're not quite on the same page.

To clarify, this isn't about merely starting simple and expanding. As of right now, I have no way of getting the specific edition DVD data. I do, however, have a way of getting at a simple movie database. If I can get the specific edition DVD data, that'd be great, but I don't know if I can. So, I have to decide: is this worth building even if I don't have that? Is it something people would still want to use if they could only list movies they own, and not necessarily specific versions of those movies?

I'm of the mind that that probably wouldn't be enticing enough for most movie lovers, but I thought I'd ask.
ok i think i got a handle on it now, you are talkin bout the flixter app for facebook?

Dunno, not familiar with it much. I think it does a lot of different movie-related things; what I'm talking about would just let people catalogue their home movie collections.