Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Thank goodness someone else felt this way about Inherent Vice. I've been amazed by how much positivity there's been on here about it. I found it to be a pretty excruciating watch. I felt it was just so meandering and self-indulgent, even by PTA's standards. Just based on quality I never really rate anything below a
for some reason. To get below that I have to have really hated the film and been close to giving up on it. This was one of those films
Define "self-indulgent" (preferably in the context of this film), because I really don't get what people mean by it sometimes.

The last movie I watched was Gone Girl. I read the book quite some time ago and was delighted to see they had made a film. I have seen it 3 times now (thanks to my Mrs. loving it) and it never gets boring.

Normally, I would always go for the book over the movie as I enjoy creating my own imagery. However, Gone Girl got it spot on. Everyone looked; spoke and acted just as I imagined.

The constant plot twists and surprises sometimes feel like the proverbial -and cliché- roller-coaster. The only difference being Gone Girl never leaves you a strange shade of green and reaching for a sick bag (aside from the earlier 'lovey duvvy' scenes brilliantly acted by Rosamund Pike).

If you haven't seen this movie and are a fan of twists, turns, ups, and downs then this is for you.

I found Inherent Vice to be self-indulgent the first time I saw it, now I think it's actually nearly flawless at what it tried to achieve.

Motto panukeiku!

Cricket - Glad you liked and appreciated Army of Shadows, what other works have you seen from Melville? Also I thought Inherent Vice was great and I'm not that big on Edward Scissorhands

Cricket - Glad you liked and appreciated Army of Shadows, what other works have you seen from Melville? Also I thought Inherent Vice was great and I'm not that big on Edward Scissorhands
The Red Circle and Le Samourai which I thought were excellent, and Leon Morin, Priest, which I liked, but it was tougher for me

Finished here. It's been fun.

Nostalghia

I'll be honest, it really baffles me how this is considered a "lesser" Tarkovsky. I don't get it. Every film of his is of high quality, but this is his masterpiece. A profound study of existential yearning, a parable on the nature of belief, a dreamlike descent into memories, and a delicate tale of finding meaning in a world devoid of spirituality. This is Tarkovsky's most opaque and personal film, so even my third viewing of it isn't sufficient. The slow but deliberate camera movements, the breathtaking use of music, and masterful mise en scene. Every line, every individual frame feels utterly significant...outright religious even. One scene of self immolation is one of the most striking scenes in the history of cinema.

I'll be returning to this one again and again. I'm not a big fan of rewatching films, but when a film contains so much depth and meaning. How the hell can I say no?

I have to return some videotapes.
The last movie I watched was Gone Girl. I read the book quite some time ago and was delighted to see they had made a film. I have seen it 3 times now (thanks to my Mrs. loving it) and it never gets boring.

Normally, I would always go for the book over the movie as I enjoy creating my own imagery. However, Gone Girl got it spot on. Everyone looked; spoke and acted just as I imagined.

The constant plot twists and surprises sometimes feel like the proverbial -and cliché- roller-coaster. The only difference being Gone Girl never leaves you a strange shade of green and reaching for a sick bag (aside from the earlier 'lovey duvvy' scenes brilliantly acted by Rosamund Pike).

If you haven't seen this movie and are a fan of twists, turns, ups, and downs then this is for you.
Gone Girl was great. I absolutely loved it.

The Human Condition I: No Greater Love (1959)

The first film of a trilogy that's almost ten hours long, so it takes a bit of a commitment. I wasn't completely blown away by this first one, but it's certainly exceptional and powerful filmmaking. For the time put in, I want more, but I got enough to make me look forward to the next two films.

I rated the first one about the same. I know what you mean about commitment and I was actually slightly disappointed by the second one but absolutely loved the third. It is asking a lot but by the end I thought it was worth it.

Wanted to write a review about this one. I am having a hard time finding the right words for a new love though. I will just leave it here and maybe it will come to me later. I will just say I loved every second of this film from both a technical level and a story telling level. Absolutely perfect. I will also say this movie could very well be in my top ten and still not be number one on my 60's list.

I've been waiting for this since Swan pmd me and said you gave it 5 stars on Letterboxed . So glad you liked it that much, and looking forward to your review if you end up putting one together

I don't think I know anyone who dislikes that film.
What's to dislike? It's a masterpiece!

It certainly is.

It's probably also the first western film I've ever watched. Needless to say that I was absolutely stunned by it.

I don't dislike it far from it but I think Sergio Leone best film is Once Upon A Time In America

I don't think I know anyone who dislikes that film.

Honeykid perhaps.
He will be here to tell you you're right because it's boring in the morning.