Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
WARNING: "Get Out" spoilers below
I think it works precisely because we the audience are anticipating such an ending (between the Night of the Living Dead connection and the social awareness) and it was even shot as an alternative> I do reckon it makes sense to have Rod be the one who rescues Chris at the end since he's been the voice of reason throughout the whole movie.

WARNING: "Get Out" spoilers below
I think it works precisely because we the audience are anticipating such an ending (between the Night of the Living Dead connection and the social awareness) and it was even shot as an alternative> I do reckon it makes sense to have Rod be the one who rescues Chris at the end since he's been the voice of reason throughout the whole movie.
I liked Rod showing up (as he was the only character in the movie I thought was mildly entertaining), at least it was something unexpected in an otherwise very predictable movie. And I do appreciate when films break from formula, but the ending seemed played like comedy - just a punchline to what had been a semi-serious thriller. It just didn't fit for me.

I agree with a line from one review I just read on IMDB... "Moves at a snail's pace towards the obvious."

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The odds are it will get some Oscar noms, including Best Picture. I gave it
which is closer to most people's

Ghost World (2001, Terry Zwigoff)

Zwigoff's first fiction film perfectly captures that tentative transition period from adolescence to adulthood and the mental/emotional upheavals and transformations that come with it. The underlying theme of the movie is the spiritual evolution of Thora Birch's character Enid (the name means "soul" or "life" and obviously has a symbolic meaning) who confronts her own existential fears and insecurities as she explores the world and struggles to come to grips with her new coming-of-age reality. In juxtaposition to the emotionally inconstant and impressionable Enid, Rebecca (Scarlett Johansson), who fades back into a secondary character more and more as the film progresses, reveals herself to be a far more focused, pragmatic and worldly person who knows what she wants from life.
A simple, perhaps flawed, but beautiful movie that manages to be funny without laying it on too thick and quirky without being self-indulgent. Loved it.

Cría Cuervos (1976)

9/10

One of the most beautiful movies about childhood ever. Another must-see masterpiece with Ana Torrent is, of course, Spirit of the Beehive.

Paterson (2016)

A simple yet remarkably deep film. Loved it.

+
I recognize that actress - she was in 'About Elly', right? That was a really good film.

Definitely gonna check this one out.

Unregistered User
I recognize that actress - she was in 'About Elly', right? That was a really good film.

Definitely gonna check this one out.

The very one Ash. A great actor and she's absolutely stunning too! About Elly was really good too.

Hope you enjoy, looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Get Out (2017)

I was surprised to see such high ratings in the reviews section.
I was attracted to the premise of a racially-charged "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner" turned horror film.

Perhaps my disappointment was because I watched this movie in 3 sittings as opposed to a single sitting (never a good idea for the "flow" of a movie). But man, I thought this was one of THE most awful movies I've seen in awhile.
My disappointment may also be over all the hype I heard about this (how Jordan Peele was going to be the new Wes Craven or John Carpenter).

The build up of the first half of the movie was pretty good as far as suspense goes, but as it nears its conclusion it seems to turn into a disjointed story made up of random elements that don't make much sense, and very few surprises (see spoilers below).

This film felt like it would've made a decent installment of a half-hour, modern-day Twilight Zone, but as a feature film it felt hackneyed and unoriginal with a very unfulfilling ending.

WARNING: "Spoilers" spoilers below
I didn't mind the use of hypnotism - although that's kind of boring, but when the story takes a turn to being about brain transplants... well, that's a bit more interesting, but they don't explore nor really explain it. A laughable scene was the dad cutting blind Stephen Root's head open and removing his skull cap before he even had the other "patient" in the same room - I'm pretty sure brain surgeons do go around leaving brains exposed while they leisurely go looking for other patients who aren't even close to being prepped - it defies the whole sterility of the surgical suite concept. We learn that "grandma and grandpa" had their brains put into other black victims who now serve the family as household servants - first, if these white folks had such a low opinion of blacks as the film suggests, why would they want to live out their lives in a black body, no less spend their renewed lives as servants? Seems, if they were racists, they'd try to find young healthy whites to put their brains into so they could be rejuvenated with an upwardly mobile future ahead of them full of all the amenities that white privilege could supply. It seems like they started to explain some things, but none of it made sense - like part of the victim's personality is still in the body while the transplanted brain is dominant... but how would that work with a brain transplant?

The movie might have worked a little better if some of the arbitrary mad science had been explained a bit more.

Any stars I give it are for the suspense of the first half and the TSA friend - the only enjoyable character in the movie who lent a few chuckles.

I really enjoyed this film and Iro explained all the points pretty well.

My own issue is with typical stupid character decisions.

WARNING: "Get out" spoilers below
Chris knows that he can be hypnotized. He's finally found a way to combat that and then when he escapes his chair...he leaves the damn cotton behind. He just proved to himself that it works and he could use it later on when he goes after the family, but no, he just leaves it behind. Why? It doesn't build tension for the viewer, it irritates them.

Suspect's Reviews

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Justice League (Rating: B+): I saw it last night and Zack Snyder lived up to his promise on injecting more humor, courtesy of some one-liners and Ezra Miller in particular being the comic relief of the film. Some great action with twists and turns, using Jack Kirby's Fourthworlds arc as the basis of the film (Kirby even gets the credit). My only issue was that Steppenwolf's CGI wasn't that great when it came to close up shots. Thanos, Hulk, even Batman v. Superman's Doomsday was more convincing than Steppenwolf, but I forgave it. The final end credit sequence is quite a hoot...no I won't spoil it, but it's pretty cool IMO.

The World's End (Edgar Wright, 2013)
+
Proof that two ice-creams in a row is more than enough

River of Grass (1994)
Director: Kelly Reichardt

Minimalist director Kelly Reichardt's first film. The theme of her film is: a bored to tears housewife abandons her baby and husband and takes to the open road with an aimless drifter. Their incompetence in crime yields some humorous moments...we then follow this odd couples ineptitude as they go on the lam.

Reichardt's budding style is apparent with this introspective look at the loan individual, who's lost due to circumstances. Cozy ( Lisa Bowman) is the lost soul. The director's use of voice over narrative gives us a window into Cozy's mind and forms an intimacy that many bigger films lack. Cozy seems real as does the films world of run down motels and dead end towns.

I'd describe Reichard's first film as 'garage band, indie film making'. There's inspiration here but some of the editing choices are odd for her style, with abrupt cuts and inter-cuts that at times make it hard to follow the story.

I didn't care for the secondary story of Cozy's dad, who's a cop who's lost his gun. But his story takes up little time, and it's Cozy's story that's important.

I don't recommend this as a first Kelly Reichardt film to watch. I'd suggest watching some of her newer and more focused films like: Night Moves or Wendy and Lucy first.

At 76 minutes this is an easy watch.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	river-of-grass.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	38088  

Very sexy crime thriller. Mark Ruffalo is muy caliente.

Seen this movie a million times. Best rock ‘n roll documentary ever.

13 Assassins

Loved the battle, couldn't care less about everything else. To me it was: a half hour shallow misery fest to get us to hate the main villain, followed by 20 minutes of dull talking scenes then a half hour of a lifeless journey with bad humour and absolutely no tension in the scenes that were supposed to be tense, then 40 minutes of a great battle. Starting to think Miike isn't for me, or at least that i'll never like all of one of his films.

+

disagree but whatevs

Starting to think Miike isn't for me, or at least that i'll never like all of one of his films.
I can appreciate that sentiment, I like something about all of his that I've seen but there's often also one element or more that I can take or leave.