1970's Hall of Fame

Tools    

I thought The Way We Were was decent, but the movie with her I really want to see is The Prince of Tides.
That's the movie with Nick Nolte where she's a psyciatrist right? There's a part in The Sopranos where Tony thinks he's in love with his psychiatrist, and that comes on tv; he's with basically a supermodel who is his gf and yet it's Streisand that is totally doing it for him

F for Fake (Orson Welles, 1973)

In 1955 Orson Welles did an interview about the infamous War of the Worlds radio broadcast and said, "it wasn't a hoax it was satire done on purpose to wake people and stop them from believing everything they were told."

Which if you think about it, is also the subject of F for Fake.

F for Fake is a hybrid of an essay/documentary/movie which recuts unused film footage from an older documentary, along with footage and vignettes conceived, narrated and executed by the master, Orson Welles.

If you don't like Welles, you might not like F for Fake. It's more insightful than revolutionary. It's hard to describe it without spoiling it...The secondary story of the professional art forger is interesting in and off itself, but what Orson does with the telling of that story is pure genius, then again you wouldn't expect less from Welles.

F for Fake
most important aspect might be that it give us a window into the real man who was Orson Welles.

Maybe one day people will stop believing everything their told, you can't say he didn't warn you.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
who the HELL is Orson Welles?!?

This is one of several in this HoF I'm glad got nominated so I can quite thinking about watching it and actually WATCH IT

Fantastic Planet (1973)

I enjoyed this one! The entire movie is so rich in creative details and imaginative alien creatures that I enjoyed just looking at it and soaking it all in...not to mention the story itself was was well done, straight-up conceptional sci-fi. It would be interesting to read the novel that the movie is based on. I use to read a lot of sci-fi and this reminded me of some classics I read.

I liked the animation style too, the humans looked like a Renaissances painting by Botticelli. The first half of the film with the interaction between the young Terr and Tiwa was very impressive and really conveyed the feeling of a captured pet and a childlike alien which was a good juxtaposition.

Very cool nom
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	37418  

I just finished F for Fake but I think I need to rewatch it I feel as if there was some substance I'm not getting becuase honestly I don't even think I understand what the whole movie is about.

2deep4u

I just finished F for Fake but I think I need to rewatch it I feel as if there was some substance I'm not getting becuase honestly I don't even think I understand what the whole movie is about.
That's basically it, it's Orson Welles trying to fry your mind. It's 5/6 of the Welles films i've seen but i do like it, Welles is great in it. His voice is the best and he's so charming that he would have been a great con man.

WARNING: "F For Fake" spoilers below
It's a documentary about fraud and trickery and the whole thing is a trick itself.

In 1955 Orson Welles did an interview about the infamous War of the Worlds radio broadcast and said, "it wasn't a hoax it was satire done on purpose to wake people and stop them from believing everything they were told."
What i like about the War of the Worlds broadcast is that it was like a hoax within a hoax, the vast majority of the stuff people claimed about the reactions of the public weren't true. The panic was nowhere near as widespread as the stories of it often say and there was no deaths proven to be connected to it. It did panic some people though.

What i like about the War of the Worlds broadcast is that it was like a hoax within a hoax, the vast majority of the stuff people claimed about the reactions of the public weren't true. The panic was nowhere near as widespread as the stories of it often say and there was no deaths proven to be connected to it. It did panic some people though.
I've heard that too. I heard a lot of people (but not a majority) believed it to some degree or were unnerved by it, but there wasn't wide spread mob panic or anything like that.

remember watching that when it was on TV as a kid. They showed how they did some of the "sounds" and then would bounce back and forth from the broadcast to several different folks freaking out about the martian invasion.

@Citizen Rules, very cool you enjoyed Fantasic Planet. The review was like a bite size candy bar. Small, but with a whole lot of pleasure.

Fantastic Planet is a skilfully constructed animated sci-fi. Based on a novel "Oms Linked Together" by Stefan Wul, it tells a story about human-like slave creatures who begin to rebel against their oppressors Blue Giants. Satirical and enthralling story, meticulous and vivid drawings as well as the appropriate score make this short-lasting feature a very interesting and entertaining watch.

A bad sign? Or things just came up?
not at all, simply fell asleep during it. Had only a few hours sleep the night before and had to be up very early and simply drifted off.

not at all, simply fell asleep during it. Had only a few hours sleep the night before and had to be up very early and simply drifted off.
Ahh, happens to me all the time I'm tired now, so I'll probably nod off in the middle of tonights movie.

Ahh, happens to me all the time I'm tired now, so I'll probably nod off in the middle of tonights movie.
Do it on a nightly basis. We watch something and THEN we put on a "sleeper" one of our favorites that we fall asleep through. Got a list that we know the beginnings intimately and have nearly forgotten the ending that, at times, we'll put it on later on in the movie so that we can ACTUALLY see the ending and go, "Oh, yeah, THAT'S how it ends."

What's Up, Doc?

I watched this once before for the 70's countdown and didn't care for it. That was only a couple years ago so I figured this would most likely be in the running for last on my list. I'm pleasantly surprised to say that I very much enjoyed it this time. Barbara Streisand is the biggest reason I believe as I find her completely enchanting. Even the song during the opening credits worked magic on me. I just think she's an amazing special talent, and so adorable. The rest of the cast; O'Neal, Kahn, etc., also do a very fine job. Not much to say about the story as I just think it's the laughs and chemistry which are important, and there's plenty of both. Love the Love Story reference towards the end, which I'm sure many people wouldn't get if they didn't see or remember that movie. I think I dismissed it as a dumb comedy before but it's certainly not that. It's a classic for a reason and I got it this time.

wow, I wasn't honestly thinking this was gonna be one that you'd struggle through, @cricket. Very happy to hear to hear you enjoyed it and I know what ya mean about how enchanting Streisand IS in this movie.