Russian cinema

Tools    

Which film of his do you prefer? I quite like Alexander Nevsky as well

Ivan the Terrible.

I can't say I was in love with Nevsky either, but I preferred it greatly to Potemkin. Maybe Eisenstein just isn't for me. Yes, he's a genius, but I find his movies kind of stodgy. Serious to a fault. Which, yes, is a stupid complaint, considering you could say that about a lot of Russian films that I have loved.

Also, I think I'm pretty ignorant on Russian films in general. So maybe I need to see some more to access the key one needs to appreciate Eisenstein more than a cultural artifact

The trick is not minding
Ivan the Terrible.

I can't say I was in love with Nevsky either, but I preferred it greatly to Potemkin. Maybe Eisenstein just isn't for me. Yes, he's a genius, but I find his movies kind of stodgy. Serious to a fault. Which, yes, is a stupid complaint, considering you could say that about a lot of Russian films that I have loved.

Also, I think I'm pretty ignorant on Russian films in general. So maybe I need to see some more to access the key one needs to appreciate Eisenstein more than a cultural artifact
Everyone has directors, no matter how lauded they are, they don’t vibe with. For me, it’s Cassavetes and Fulci, and I’m still on the fence on Fellini and Truffaut.

I get what you mean about Eisenstein, however. They can be a bit of a slog. Strike captured me right from the start, however.

As far as Russian cinema, that’s why I created this thread. I haven’t seen many outside of Tarkovsky, Eisenstein, Kalazatov, and a few others here and there. I aim to finish up Tarkovsky, as I preferred taking my time with his films (so much to digest with his films!) but I should really get to them this year.

When I have more time, I aim to tackle War and Peace. Probably on a 3 day weekend.