Oscar's Best Actress 2024

Tools    

The Academy Award for Best Actress goes to...
11.11%
2 votes
Annette Bening, Nyad
50.00%
9 votes
Lily Gladstone, Killers of the Flower Moon
11.11%
2 votes
Sandra Hüller, Anatomy of a Fall
0%
0 votes
Carey Mulligan, Maestro
27.78%
5 votes
Emma Stone, Poor Things
18 votes. You may not vote on this poll

I don't follow any of the campaigning for Oscars, or pay attention to favourites or really put a lot of time listening to much out of Hollywood at all, and it was clear to me just upon watching Flower Moon that Gladstone is the standout performance. Everything Holden said about her acting in regards to the type of character she is playing is bang on. Just because it's not loud or showy doesn't mean it's an easy performance. It is often in fact harder to depict a characters internal world if they aren't smashing plates and screaming. And I understood that character perfectly. She's magnetic in it.

So, no, her nomination didn't happen because of her ancestry. Her nomination, based on her performance alone, really shouldn't be remotely controversial. She's great in it.

Just not as good as Mulligan ( who has no shot anyways)

The truth is in here
Just because she was a fraud, doesn't mean the message changes. It still means the same thing.
But it does make it less impactful and even kinda hypocritical, doesn't it? Here Brando has someone talk about mistreatment and poor representation of Native Americans in the industry, yet Sacheen pretending to be an Apache Native means she's not good representation for them either. It's such a dishonest and rotten way to advance your own career. She could have been standing up for Native Mexicans (Who don't seem to get much of a voice either), but she chose to appropriate a whole different culture instead.

So yeah, the message is still the same. But that message won't ring nearly as loudly upon finding that out.

The top 2 acting prizes are going to be the toughest to predict.

Emma or Lily.

Emma has already won it before. Lily is the first Native to earn a nomination.

I feel politics will determine the win. Lily's got this.

What are your thoughts?
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Emma Stone won Best Actress for Poor Things.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I'm sorry that Lily didn't win, but in all honesty, I thought that Emma really did give the best performance out of the 5 nominees.
That's not saying Lily isn't a good actor, I think she needs a more challenging part because the one she got nominated for didn't really require all that much from her.
Also, there goes Scorsese's record for directing so many actors to an Oscar win.