Great War Movies and Shows

Tools    

Okay so I just finished watching the mini-series Unser Mütter, Unser Väter (2013), and now I'm craving more. Other great movies I would consider along the same line are Stalingrad (1993), and Come and See (1985). It doesn't have to be about WWII, but it shouldn't glamorise war. These movies are great because they make you see the true horror of war, and they show you the evil that lurks inside normal people as well as the moral dilemmas they face. Have you guys seen these three works? What other movies or shows would you consider to follow this vein?
I haven't seen them, but I would recommend the TV series Secret Army.

One that I enjoyed was Flame & Citron. It's a film about the resistance in Denmark.
Weirdly, this week I was watching The Bridge for the third week running, and I started to connect back to seeing Flame and Citron about 5 years ago. I realized that I already knew Sofia Helin's new co-star, Thure Lindhardt, and was chuffed when I looked the film up and his name was staring back at me from the cast list. They've certainly got the best actor to take over from Kim Bodnia.

Judgement at Nuremberg
Das Boot
All quiet on the western front
Paths of Glory
The Downfall
Night & Fog

Then you have some good films about the Cold War like Das Leben der Anderen and Fail-Safe.

Oh, and the obvious Full Metal Jacket and Apocalypse Now.
Love Judgement at Nuremberg though I have always considered it more a courtroom drama than a war movie.

Be a freak, like me too
It's an "old" Topic but I advise the Italian Paths Of Glory, Uomini Contro (Many Wars Ago) by Francesco Rosi, with the great Gian Maria Volontè.
I've discovered this film a few weeks ago and it's really amazing.

The end of this extract is shocking.

Then there's Grave of the Fireflies, a devastating film.

Devastating is a very accurate way to describe this film, there's absolutely no joy in this story. This was my introduction into adult themed animation, not the best choice.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Most of the war movies I've seen in my lifetime haven't been very good.

TOP 5
-La Grande Illusion
-Johnny Got His Gun
-Full Metal Jacket
-Paths of Glory
-Patton

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Band of Brothers was an HBO series about Easy Company during the final year of WWII. You may find worthwhile.
What I remember liking was the opening interviews with the actual soldiers from then. Really added something very personal to the whole saga.

The Downfall