Director Dissection with Seanc and Rauldc

Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Where are you @rauldc14? I'm ready. Who you thinking? I would love to do Kubrick.
Let's do this, although I can't remember what our criteria was for picking films.

Let's do this, although I can't remember what our criteria was for picking films.
I think we just used to pick two each. Anyone want to join?

I think this would be a lot fun but I'll pass for now.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

In all fairness, my time to see movies has been fairly cut down, but I still do have time now and again. I actually managed a hat trick of films with the wife yesterday.

In all fairness, my time to see movies has been fairly cut down, but I still do have time now and again. I actually managed a hat trick of films with the wife yesterday.
I hear ya, I've been so busy that I hardly have much time for MoFo, these days. Luckily I still have time at night to watch movies.

I hear ya, I've been so busy that I hardly have much time for MoFo, these days. Luckily I still have time at night to watch movies.
Yeah I'm not here too much either. Every now and again but mainly just for the HOFs and the countdowns. Not much else really happenin', which is ok by me

This is happening.

Stanley Kubrick Directors Dissection

With Movie meditation, Seanc, and Rauldc

Here are the six movies that us cats have picked out:

Barry Lyndon
2001: A Space Odyssey
The Shining
Full Metal Jacket
A Clockwork Orange
Lolita

So I have two blindspots with these six films, so two fresh picks for me with A Clockwork Orange (which I blindpicked) and then Barry Lyndon.

I luckily didn't get subjected to my lower tier Kubrick (Strangelove, Killers Kiss, The Killing in particular) so either I got lucky or you guys really do like me.

Looks like Sean got his wish...

Hope you do want to join us again @MovieMeditation this has been fun.

I'm super excited and honored to be invited back to one of my favorite threads on this forum with two of my favorite members as well. I mean, how lucky can one be? And if that wasn't enough the three cinema compadres here are going to elect and dissect daunting classics by the legendary director, Stanley Kubrick... I'm definitely up for the task though, to take on some sublime works of art and talk-through as I walk-through these amazing films!

As for myself and the movies, my picks here are 2001: A Space Odyssey and Barry Lyndon.

I picked 2001 because it is a masterwork of a film and because I just got it on 4K UltraHD Blu-ray and after meditating to the opening as well as some selected scenes I was ever-so-excited to revisit this again. I truly mean that watching this fully restored and in 4K/HDR is like watching the film for the first time again. I can't wait to go through it from beginning to end!

My other pick, Barry Lyndon, comes from the fact that this particular Kubrick-classic has always interested me a lot. The look, the feel, the breakthrough cinematography with natural light and film lenses previously only used to capture the GOD DAMN SPACE I have always been intrigued by this film... but also by its length. I figured though that if I want to see it what better place than in this thread and with a purpose and a meaning beyond my own?

Other than that, The Shining is my favorite horror film, A Clockwork Orange is another defining work by Kubrick and Full Metal Jacket is a great war film that I've only seen once (same with Clockwork). And I have yet to see Lolita. So yeah... this line-up seems perfect to me.

I can't wait to dive in! Thanks for having me once again, @rauldc14 and @seanc!

The only films I have rewatched of Kubrick is 2001 and Eyes Wide Shut. If there's anything to say, it's that it seems his rewatched are rewarding, because there is so much to unfold from him, regardless how big a fan of him anybody is.

It's quite plausible if I was picking all 6 that these would have been all my choices, which is crazy to think since there were 13 possibilities.

Indeed. Kubrick is definitely a director that makes film you can study in every aspect of filmmaking. Pretty much all his films pushed boundaries or did something you hadn’t seen before. He took up new styles, new themes and different takes on so many things.

When I first saw Clockwork in its entirety it was after already going through the first 30 minutes 3 or 4 times... it’s a tough movie to watch and I feel that first half only works as it should once the second half comes.. “preparing” myself for the movie by unintentionally experiencing the first act of the film so many times ended up working as a strong point for the film to me. I was able to invest myself more and study things far beyond the sheer shock value.

2001 also went from being a film I respected but didn’t like, to one I did like quite a bit and then to one I love. Funny enough, it’s the same with Coen. And that was the director we dissected the last time. but that’s the same for me. Rewatches are almost essential to the filmmaker.

Very excited to do this again and quite possibly would be the six I would have chosen.

2001: A film I have seen twice. Unfortunately it still leaves me cold. I will leave the why for when I summarize my third watch. Genuinely hope that it is to say it doesn't leave me cold anymore.

The Shining: My third choice. Desperately needs a third watch. I love Jack and the atmosphere. I have always felt I would need to find this movie creepy to love it though. So far I don't, let's see if blood gushing elevators get to me this round.

Barry Lyndon: My second choice that was already taken. My favorite Kubrick at the moment. I adored it and am thrilled to watch it again.

Full Meral Jacket: My first choice because it is by far the Kubrick I haven't seen in the longest amount of time. I always call it half a masterpiece. I hope the second half resonates more this time.

A Clockwork Orange: Another half a masterpiece for me. I want to come around to MM's view that the second half doesn't work without the first. That opinion feels like stretch to me at the moment but I am more than open to that.

Lolita: Would have been my fourth choice. My second favorite Kubrick at the moment but needs that second watch for sure.

A Clockwork Orange: Another half a masterpiece for me. I want to come around to MM's view that the second half doesn't work without the first. That opinion feels like stretch to me at the moment but I am more than open to that.
I think I actually wrote it wrong just there.

Actually it’s the set-up that doesn’t work without the pay-off. That’s what I meant. So it’s the first half that doesn’t work without the second. The last half could stand on its own though I would say it stands stronger when you know what type of person Alex was and where and what he was coming from.

But in many ways the first half is really disturbing and graphic and the depth in all this is not immense. But when the second half comes it all comes together...

Very glad to see you guys doing this again. I always thought this was one of the best thread ideas around and I'm happy it's back! I plan on following along and reading your guys' thoughts on these six excellent choices from one of the great directors, Stanley Kubrick. I've seen all six, but it's been many years since I've seen some of them, it'll be interesting to see your thoughts on these films.