Dallas Buyers Club

→ in
Tools    

Dallas Buyers Club (2013) - meet Ron Woodroof a homophobic electrician, rodeo and a real-life AIDS victim given 30 days to live. He decides to participate in selling non-certified pharmaceutical drugs first given to him by a "doctor" who works in Mexico. These drugs help people whom are tested positive for aids. He finds a loophole in the legal system which allows him to sell these drugs as part of a membership for the "Dallas Buyers Club". These clubs took place all over the US at this time. He runs into a lot of problems along the way with law enforcement and the FDA and he also loses many friends. The character development in this film is outstanding. Ron befriends a transvestite man "Rayon" who helps him in his scheme to sell these drugs and Ron loses his homophobic views completely and becomes a better man. The acting is incredible and the story is very gripping. Definitely worth a watch.
My Rating: 8/10

Finished here. It's been fun.
Yup. Movie is really good, hope McConaughey takes home that oscar later this month.

I thought this was an outstanding film. McConaughey's body conditioning was inspiring. reminded me of bale in The Machinist. Really great film. Releases across the UK on the 7th right?

I have never really watched many films McConaughey so my opinion of him is neither low nor high, in fact one of the other films I have seen him in was "Two for the Money" (which was a fantastic film in my opinion). You could tell that he was really giving his all in the film and that he was in love with the role. It also had a very interesting and overall story arch in general. I would not recommend this to everyone, I think some may find it dull but I would say that if anyone feels they have the patience to give it their full attention it is a spectacular watch.

Saw Dallas Buyers Club last night. A really great film, driven by two inspiring performances from McConaughey and Jared Leto. I love how this film made me root for Ron Woodroof, when on the surface he is a pretty repulsive character. It was his determination not to become a self-pitying victim that was carried off so well by McConaughey. There was a complete lack of pretension in the direction, and while some people have claimed this is typical 'oscar-bait' I don't think that's a fair criticism. The third act fizzles out somewhat, but it's the performances that leave a lasting impression. 8/10

I didn't know that there was already a forum for this. I'll just repost what I posted in Rate the Last Move You Saw: "I watched Dallas Buyers Club on Sunday night. I thought the movie was above average. It did tend to get slightly sloppy in sections. For instance, the director, Jean-Marc Vallee, used captioning toward the end of the film to explain what happened in the story, but thirty seconds hadn't even passed before he did it again. This type of sloppiness was the only type of flaw I found in the movie. Dallas Buyers Club had a phenomenal performance from Matthew McConaughey and a bordering-spectacular performance from Jared Leto. If you haven't seen this movie, I'd recommend watching to see for yourself what a great actor Matthew McConaughey has become. I was utterly shocked when I saw it."

Yowza! So Im watching this for the first time now, and theres really no preparing you for how skinny McConaughey is in this. I havent been so creeped out, impressed, and astonished like this since Christian Bale in The Machinist. I can tell right away McConaugheys born to play this part. Only 15 minutes into it so far.

Past 2 days Ive been able to get in 45 minutes of this film. I dont suggest this pattern for watching movies, its a necessity for me, and takes aloooooot of getting used to.

McConaughey is magnificent, and this mostly is his one-man show. My first experience with MMs incredibly displayed dramatic acting chops was True Detective. I cant believe Im saying this, but this performance dwarfs that one.

Was very skeptical of Jared Letos performance before seeing it. Thought his supporting actor oscar could have been undeserved, and maybe the greatest contribution he could have made to this role was the weight loss. I was wrong. His weight loss is an impressive achievement and sacrifice, but his performance is stunning me. Not overacting, completely convincing, and utterly immersive.

Right now in the film Woodroofs making his first shipment. SIGH! True heroes can come in all shape and sizes, their pasts meaningless. Ron Woodroof is on display with all his bigotry, heartlessness, and ignorance forefront. His tenacity to stay alive, coupled with a disrespect for the law, ended up helping countless others. He looks more like Dana Carvey though.

So... have you finished Dallas Buyers Club yet? Or do you still need to watch 15 more minutes at some point?

Ok heres a gripe. I get to start watching it again tonight, and I notice something thats bugged me is Jennifer Garners character. First part of the movie shes had this dumb perma-curious look on her face, wearing her glasses way down her nose, and she just looks so damn stupid. Otherwise its been all good

I have to watch over my Mom. If shes not watching it also I only have short bursts here and there to watch something R rated . That goes for tv series too, as sometimes an episode of Walking Dead or Game of Thrones can take 2 or 3 sittings.

Watched another half hour, now an hour and fifteen minutes in. Really impressed with Jared Leto. Just the subtle nuances, mannerisms, but the voice inflection really is what seems magical. This guy needs more work! I always scratched Jared Leto off as some talentless Generation Y prettyboy. Thats a former opinion. Wow!

Gah! Im at the last half hour of the movie and Rayons drooling blood. I guess this is the beginning of the bad ending I knew would come. I wasnt prepared going in for just how great a job Jared Leto did (I mean really MoFos, Best Supporting Actors in the past cant come close to this performance). After watching this, any illusions I ever had/have about being an actor, I know I would never be able to achieve this sheer unreserved vulnerability. Meaning, I couldnt even daydream about being this good of an actor.

Finally finished it. Better movie than I thought it was gonna be, and I was expecting a good one. Blown away by the performances of McConaughey & Leto. They were truly deserving of their awards.

Jennifer Garner was terrible in this, like distractingly bad. Did anyone else get that impression? She's all adorable, cute, but she shouldnt go near drama. Not good.

I have never really watched many films McConaughey so my opinion of him is neither low nor high, in fact one of the other films I have seen him in was "Two for the Money" (which was a fantastic film in my opinion). You could tell that he was really giving his all in the film and that he was in love with the role. It also had a very interesting and overall story arch in general. I would not recommend this to everyone, I think some may find it dull but I would say that if anyone feels they have the patience to give it their full attention it is a spectacular watch.
Hated Two for the Money...a career low for McConaghey and Pacino IMO.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
MM had me at "Allright Allright Allright". Was great in this film. I do hope he eats some cheeseburgers now.