Movie Tab II

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Letters to Father Jacob

An example on how to make a simple yet great flick. Although, every element of this movie has been used in other films, it blends them pretty well, making it a must-see. 9/10

Meshes of the Afternoon

Well, actually it is a short. Surrealism or maybe impressionism. Is it about a relationship, or is it just a nice collage of images? Does it have the depth? Who really cares? Just feel it and you shall like it. Also, it probably has to be seen more than once. Surely I will be watching this again soon. 10/10

Closely Watched Trains

Now I don't understand something. It is said to be the best (or one of the best) Czech film. Well, I don't dare to say it's bad, because it simple isn't. It's just OK, but again I don't get the hype. 7/10

Knife in the Water

It comes from the Polish period of Polański. Too bad that he had to left after the movie has been released. For some reason Polish communist goverment got upset - didn't read more about it, but it could be an interesting lecture. Anyway, it got praised abroad more and I also shall praise it... a little... Very good movie. 8/10

The Consequences of Love

Regretfully I have to say that this movie is not good. What a pity it's not good. Wait, actually it's good it's not good. Ehm, what? The movie isn't good. It's excellent, great and... very good. Wait, that means it's good. Damn... 9/10

Mother

Now this is what I'm talking about. My recent Korean film hype. The best out of 3 I've seen recently. Surprisingly deep. 9/10

The Chaser

The second one in terms of awesomenesses. Want to know how contemporary action thrillers should look like? Watch it and learn other directors! 9/10

I Saw the Devil

Pretty gorey. I wouldn't recommend it if you're tender. In any other way - go, watch it. Not as good as two other films, but still a good watch. 8/10

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Gone back to my old ways in terms of writing extended, in-depth reviews over at my Movie Musings thread. And also hit the landmark of 100 reviews!!! Have fallen way behind though in terms of how many I've got to catch up on, so will only post so many at the moment.

As used to be the way, if any review catches your eye I'd very much appreciate you following the link to read the full thing

mirror
RoboCop (1987, d. Paul Verhoeven)

There are two ways to watch and enjoy this classic slice of sci-fi from Paul Verhoeven. If you're just looking for some mindless action film with stuff blowing up this will do the job; just switch off your brain, sit back and enjoy. However if you wish, the film can also serve as a highly entertaining, and very smart satire. The majority of this satire is achieved through the commercials and news reports which just randomly interrupt the film. And even though this film is now over a quarter of a century old it's all still pretty relevant. The newscasts talk of a society in chaos, and the ads highlight amongst other things society's attitude towards violence and it's use in popular culture, particularly when it's aimed at kids (gotta love the board game Nuke Em!). It's a film that presents spectacular violence, while also satirizing it. There is also an ad satirizing the apparently common need for Americans to drive .........................

Read the full review here

mirror

L.A. Confidential (1997, d. Curtis Hanson)

-

The most intriguing aspect of the film was the ability to compare the three central cops (all well realised, realistic feeling characters) at the heart of the story, and the completely different characters they are and different approaches they take to their work. There's the straight-laced and by the book cop, Edmund Exley. Trying to live up to the legacy of his father he finds that his morality not only struggles to find a place in the department, but is actively encouraged to be forgotten. Initially resembling a snivelling account more than a cop, he eventually rises as a courageous man with a capacity for violence. There's the brutal young cop with an old school mentality, Bud White. As a result of his father's treatment of his mother he despises men who abuse women, and will not hesitate to hand out his own brand of justice. He becomes the right hand .................................

mirror

The Fog (1980, d. John Carpenter)

+

This is the fourth feature from John Carpenter that I've watched within the last couple of weeks. While I already considered myself a big fan of his work, there were many of his most acclaimed films I had not seen, mostly as a result of my general indifference/dislike of the horror genre. As such a massive fan of They Live, Escape from New York and Assault on Precinct 13 (all films I'd take into consideration for my top 100) however I decided to expand my scope and give them a shot. So I've watched Halloween, The Thing, Christine and now The Fog. And while I'm sure it's not a common choice, my favourite of the group would definitely have to be this ghoulish effort.

mirror

To Live and Die in L.A. (1985, d. William Friedkin)

+

What a cracking action thriller this is. It's quite nasty and nihilistic perhaps, but undeniably captivating. I actually found myself being frequently reminded of the classic 80s TV series Miami Vice as the film progressed. Taking place in an exotic sun-drenched location it has that glossy Michael Mann sheen to its aesthetic, it has rather quick fire editing, montages of ne'er-do-wells exchanging cash and then of course it has that very 80s synth-rock/pop soundtrack provided by Wang Chung. Indeed there were particular moments such as the montage which made it look exactly like the Miami Vice opening credits. Indeed the whole thing has quite a strong Michael Mann vibe in general with its penchant for focusing lovingly on the cityscape that its characters inhabit, and its whole appearance of smog-filled skies and the occasionally neon-tinged colour palette ...........................

mirror
John Carter (2012, d. Andrew Stanton)

++

It took me quite a while to really get into this film, but eventually it won me over and I found myself really enjoying it as it came down the home stretch. I think to get the most of this film you really have to attack it without a trace of cynicism, forget all the criticism that was thrown it's way. I think it's a film I could easily have fallen in love with instantly when I was younger. But now at 26 I'm bitter and cynical and as a result it took it's hokey charms a bit longer to penetrate my steely shell. But penetrate it did, and in the end I found a film full of pulpy fun. It's got quite a quaint, old fashioned feel to it which I found quite endearing.

The one area in which the film absolutely excels is undoubtedly in its effects. They look absolutely fantastic. And it's not just down to how they .......................

mirror

Charlie's Angels (2000, d. McG)

++

A while back, after lots and lots of nagging Honeykid finally gave in and posted his top 100 films list. And it was going surprisingly well for the most part. Until it came to third position on the list...and Charlie's Angels appeared! People were left stunned, baffled and appalled by such a pick. People have already convicted him of insanity. Well I'm here to mount the case for HK's defence...to an extent.

The main purpose of this film is pretty much a showcase for pretty girls. And on that level it's pretty much perfect. The film presents us with three beautiful ladies and places them in a variety of different outfits and scenarios for us to delight in. And they even change .......................

mirror

Under Siege (1992, d. Andrew Davis)

-

Well here it is. After somehow making it through 26 years of my life without having viewed one, I have now seen my first Steven Seagal film. I feel I should take a little pause here to allow TylerDurden99 to pick his jaw up off the floor! While I've seen Executive Decision, I'd consider that a film that features Seagal rather than a certified 'Steven Seagal film'.

Based on the little bit of Seagal I had previously seen (clips and little snatches of films here and there) my opinion of him was not exactly that positive. And unfortunately my first full viewing of his work did little to change that. I just found him to be a bit irritating and smug. To compare him to ......................

mirror
Raising Cain (1992, d. Brian De Palma)

The main draw for me seeing this film was the chance to take in another villainous turn from the great John Lithgow. The dual role of Carter and Cain that Lithgow takes on gives him the opportunity to showcase the two screen personalities we've come to associate him with, or at least that I associate him with. As Carter Nix we see the neurotic, rather bumbling side that he displayed on the classic sitcom 3rd Rock from the Sun for six years. And then as his 'brother' Cain, we are presented with the evil b**tard that Lithgow has delivered so memorably in films such as Cliffhanger, and on the TV show Dexter. It's not in the same territory as The Trinity Killer from Dexter however, a character and performance that thrilled and amazed so much. While that was quite a quiet and sinister character who was really chilling, this is a much more hammy creation. Lithgow really is on some fine over-the-top, scenery-chewing form. He also ...............

mirror

The Dead Pool (1988, d. Buddy Van Horn)

So here it is, the last hurrah for old Harry Callahan. After five films over a seventeen year stretch which turned both the character of Dirty Harry, and Clint Eastwood into film icons this would be his final case. And unfortunately it's closer to going out with a whimper than a bang.

The film just doesn't particularly feel or even look like a Dirty Harry film. It more resembles your standard cop flick, which Harry just seems to have wandered into. Indeed it's only Harry's presence which really lifts the film to the relatively low heights it achieves. Without him this would be pretty pointless stuff. It's only the fact we've come to know and love this character over the series that is ................

A system of cells interlinked
Out of Sight (Soderbergh, 1998)

A well directed effort from Mr. Soderbergh. Not his best film, but a solid effort across the board with some interesting characters.

So I Married an Axe Murderer (1993)

This is a bizarre movie for Mike Myers. It's not Wayne's World, it's not Austin Powers, it's not one of those other movies where he's dressed up in some elaborate costume (The Love Guru, The Cat in the Hat) -- it's a simple, odd, romantic black comedy that does feature Myers playing one of his signature type of crazy characters -- this time as his very Scottish father -- while also caught in a big 1990's storm of a movie. The San Francisco setting along with the idea of a female serial killer who plays with her man before killing him is very Basic Instinct.

More of a peculiar 90s retro time capsule. I enjoyed it but it left me feeling unsatisfied by its resolution. Slow and feels longer than 90 minutes. Very basic storyline and not original at all.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Dances With Wolves - I love this movie. I've seen it many times, and I plan on watching it many more. I love that there's not a cynical bone in it's metaphorical body. It's heartfelt, honest, and beautifully shot.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Who's going to believe a talking head?
Zodiac (David Fincher, 2007)

Once again I was astounded by the ingenuity of Zodiac. David Fincher has succeeded in creating such a tense atmosphere using the backdrop of the city that recalls the old noirs, brimming with clever misdirection and a solid storyline. This is the serial killer movie to end all serial killer movies.

10/10

The Game (David Fincher, 1997)

Not as thrilling as I expect and a poorer follow-up film than Se7en. Still a worthy film if youre interested in thrillers like I do.

6/10

Yeah, Out of Sight is pretty much the textbook definition of a "pretty good" film.
That's exactly how I would describe this one.

An amazing cast filmed in technical dynamism, but the story and the message are too straight forward. The robbery scene, the heroin scene, and Ray Liota's beatdown feel like they were ripped out of a crime epic (like Dominik's previous film) and dropped into a tv episode. Enjoyable while it lasts, but it's hardly the next big crime movie at a brisk 97 minutes.

I really connected with this one the second time around, just a brilliant movie in every aspect.

A number of films I watched recently:

Titicut Follies
At a time when mental institutes littered America, a controversial film was born and subsequently banned for years.
The Age of the Earth
My first film by Brazilian director Glauber Rocha... sex, politics and religion meshed into one. I wasn't expecting a hell of entertainment but all of the scenes are dragged on for way too long.
Fallen Angels
- One of the better Wong Kar Wai movies set against the backdrop of Hong Kong as a vibrant neon-lit city always on the move. Silly cliched love done with style.
Crash (1996)
Danger heightens sexual intimacy; trauma leaves an everlasting scar on the mind. Cronenberg recognised this fact.
Vive l'amour
Isn't as refined as Tsai's later works that were more focused.
Kitchen Sink (1989)
This disturbing New Zealand short film brings to mind Lynchian nightmares.
Tabu
An illicit love affair disguised as a colonialism film. A film which isn't exactly illuminating.

Two more classics I've finally gotten 'round to seeing:

The Shining (Kubrick, 1980) - Oof. Disappointing. I saw the gears of psychological terror turning, but didn't feel it nearly as much as I think I ought to. Another Kubrick leaves me amazed by his technical prowess but emotionally completely cold - the first, though, in which the performances were a turn-off. Nicholson is good, as can always be expected, but otherwise it's an exercise in screaming and flailing and thinking that's enough for a good performance (I'm looking at you, Duvall).

The Silence of the Lambs (Demme, 1991) - This I liked. A lot. The performances are universally great, and there's a definite, chilling undercurrent that you just can't shake. Not out-and-out terrifying, but plays with your mind in a way few films are able to. It's spotlessly directed, too.
+

Others:

Lady Vengeance (Park, 2005) - Thoughts from the December Movie Club thread:

The first thing that struck me was just how visually stunning the film is. There so much to look at, vibrant and subdued colors in so many textures and patterns that make up this gruesome, dark but hauntingly beautiful world, shot to near perfection by Chung-hoon Chung. I believe it's possible to enjoy this film on an entirely separate, purely visual level as if it were a moving painting.

But you'd be missing out on something special were you to ignore the story, at first intriguingly playful, but which emotionally descends slowly, on a thin line between reality and dream, with the character until a breathtaking kick in the gut, a visceral final act brought to a close with a moving, melancholy final 10 minutes.

It's provocative not because of its grisly images or disturbing subject matter, but because it makes us look inward. Lady Vengeance is a notch above simple revenge fantasy because it's directly appealing to the notion that put in the same situation as those parents, none of us really know what our reaction would be. That's a disturbing thought that the film plays with subtly, cleverly and very effectively.

It works, and on many levels. There's moments of black humor, grisly but stylish violence, a very human, emotional through-line delivered with great performances and a terrific visual depth. So glad this won, because I probably wouldn't have picked it out on my own otherwise. I'd recommend it to anyone.
The Bucket List (Reiner, 2007) - Generic, averagely written but endearing fun elevated by two of the world's finest actors who seem to be enjoying themselves.

The 40 Year Old Virgin (Apatow, 2005) - Unlike Apatow's other directorial efforts this one has a real heart to back up the usual brand of comedy. It's pretty funny, but liking it really hinges on liking the cast, I think.

Goodbye Lenin! (Becker, 2003) - Endearing and funny at first, but it reaches a point about 90 minutes in where the schmaltz, sentimentality, and far too many themes, ideas and subplots converge on one another and it becomes very tiresome indeed. I really enjoyed it up to this point, it's just a shame they took it about a half hour too far.

Apollo 13 (Rewatch. Howard, 1995) - Enjoyed this more than the last time, so I'm bumping it up half a box. The chemistry between Hanks and his crew is tangible. It's sentimental but a little never hurt anyone. Great Hollywood film-making.

Three Colours: White (Kieslowski, 1994) - A saw Blue maybe 6 months ago but didn't get round to this until a couple days ago. It's good. Lots to think about but I think right now I liked it a little less than the first installment. I'll get back to you on Red in six more months. These are a slog to get through and you have to be in just the right mood.

Jameson First Shot shorts starring Kevin Spacey:

The Ventriloquist (Leavitt, 2012)

Envelope (Nuzhny, 2012)

Spirit of a Denture (Shelley, 2012)
-

I adore The Shining, but I'm glad you loved The Silence of the Lambs.

+rep for The Shining, SOTL, and lady vegenance

Also I created a thread about those Spacey short films Here
My personal favorite is The Envelope

The Acid House (McGuigan)

The Acid House is a vulgar and perverted literary adaption, of three short stories, in the Scottish slums. It is loaded with profanity, and makes the viewer feel like trash, just by watching. Coming into the viewing I heard nothing of it, but judging it's negative critical reception, and lack of publicity, it's one of the most underrated films I ever encountered. It was hysterical black humor, and probably the best film I've seen from the nineties.

The first story follows Boab, a lazy lump of dirt, who looses everything in a matter of a few hours. After a bar man philosophical meeting with God, he is turned into a fly. The meeting was surprisingly deep, and asks the true question of "why don't we use our powers". As a fly he gets revenge, and sees with the audience a scene of incredible disturbance.

Then there's the most emotionally dwelling story "The Soft Touch". A truly caring but naive man, marries and impregnates a whore. Obviously enough she openly cheats on him, and everything goes down, for the man with no escape. The setting was tense, and while the ending was anti-climatic, it was the most well made of the shorts.

Finally there's the story that the film invests the most effort into, The Acid House. This was absolutely, the best midnight humor I've ever came across. Dirty, crazy, and makes Trainspotting, look like it copped out. A dope head switches bodies with a newly born baby, and while switch of bodies has become a comedy cliche, this one actually made it work. I laughed eccentrically and it really completed the film, if there's any reason to finish it, here you go.

In conclusion I can't explain my love for this film enough. The score and white trash setting put a mood. The small things like the graffiti and the bigger aspects such as the characters all had there contribution. I laughed and could still take the next scene with seriousness. The Acid House is not acclaimed nearly enough. I highly recommended to anyone who's willing to vitiate there brain, for two hours. I hope all will love it as much as myself, though that's unlikely

I'll bundle in all my other watches the next set

The Dark Knight Rises (Christopher Nolan, 2012)

A few words on a confusing but ultimately rewarding experience.

High-octane action, great pacing, good performances and while you're in it, completely absorbing. This is about as good as blockbusters get, but that's where the problem lies. A problem I've had with every Nolan Batman film to date: there's an air of pretension, an unwillingness to quite give in to the fact that this is, simply, a slightly-smarter-than-average summer popcorn flick.

It results in an off-putting juxtaposition. Nolan takes the foundations of a very dark, very grown-up crime/action/thriller, then throws in a guy in a Halloween costume with a raspy voice who, honestly, makes me laugh every time, in all the wrong places. There's also a generic femme fatale who seems to speak only in sexily-delivered, witty one-liners, and a bad guy who sounds like every stereotypical British super-villain ever. He might as well be swiveling in a chair and stroking a white cat. I just wish Nolan would choose. If you want to make a dark, violent film don't try to do it with Batman.

These apparently mix well for a hell of a lot of people, otherwise this series wouldn't have gotten the acclaim it has, but I don't think they do. At all. That the core problem for me, and why they've not succeeded in passing that barrier from 'very, very good' to 'absolutely brilliant'.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Elia Kazan, 1945)

Rio Bravo (Howard Hawks, 1959)

Summertime (David Lean, 1955)

Moonrise Kingdom (Wes Anderson, 2012)

Anne of the Thousand Days (Charles Jarrott, 1969)

The Bitter Tea of General Yen (Frank Capra, 1933)

Meet John Doe (Frank Capra, 1941)

The Hunger Games (Gary Ross, 2012)

Loves of Pharaoh (Ernst Lubitsch, 1922)

Heaven Can Wait (Ernst Lubitsch, 1943)

The Crowd (King Vidor, 1928)

Men in Black 3 (Barry Sonnenfeld, 2012)
-
Grand Hotel (Edmund Goulding, 1932)

Cool Hand Luke (Stuart Rosenberg, 1967)
+
La Promesse (Dardenne Bros, 1996)

We're No Angels (Michael Curtiz, 1955)

Period of Adjustment (George Roy Hill, 1962)
+
Walk on the Wild Side (Edward Dmytryk, 1962)

The Taming of the Shrew (Franco Zeffirelli, 1967)

The President's Analyst (Theodore J. Flicker, 1967)

The Burning Plain (Guillermo Arriaga, 2008)

Sorry, I can't go into more details, but you probably know why.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Elia Kazan, 1945)

Rio Bravo (Howard Hawks, 1959)

Summertime (David Lean, 1955)

Moonrise Kingdom (Wes Anderson, 2012)

Anne of the Thousand Days (Charles Jarrott, 1969)

The Bitter Tea of General Yen (Frank Capra, 1933)

Meet John Doe (Frank Capra, 1941)

The Hunger Games (Gary Ross, 2012)

Loves of Pharaoh (Ernst Lubitsch, 1922)

Heaven Can Wait (Ernst Lubitsch, 1943)

The Crowd (King Vidor, 1928)

Men in Black 3 (Barry Sonnenfeld, 2012)
-
Grand Hotel (Edmund Goulding, 1932)

Cool Hand Luke (Stuart Rosenberg, 1967)
+
La Promesse (Dardenne Bros, 1996)

We're No Angels (Michael Curtiz, 1955)

Period of Adjustment (George Roy Hill, 1962)
+
Walk on the Wild Side (Edward Dmytryk, 1962)

The Taming of the Shrew (Franco Zeffirelli, 1967)

The President's Analyst (Theodore J. Flicker, 1967)

The Burning Plain (Guillermo Arriaga, 2008)

Sorry, I can't go into more details, but you probably know why.
Yet, you still typed all that with your left hand?

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Scrooged - A Christmas classic, desecrated by Bill Murray, Michael O'Donoghue, and Richard Donner, and all the better for it. Pitch black satire slam dances with sentimental Christmas fare and creates a hilarious movie full of quotable lines and crazy performances. Love it.

Unfortunately it is as middling as the critics have pinned it. The opening dinner scene and the confrontation with Gollum were fantastic, there was a pretty cool troll scene, but I can't really remember a thing else from the movie I just saw 20 minutes ago (which is almost 3 hours long). It's jam packed with filler action scenes and fails to successfully work characters from the original trilogy in when it tries to. To great disappointment, I'm really not looking forward to part 2.

A system of cells interlinked
Hi Meat. I figured that would be your report.

Alas, I already have tickets for tomorrow!

Glad you liked Sunset Boulevard!

Unfortunately it is as middling as the critics have pinned it. The opening dinner scene and the confrontation with Gollum were fantastic, there was a pretty cool troll scene, but I can't really remember a thing else from the movie I just saw 20 minutes ago (which is almost 3 hours long). It's jam packed with filler action scenes and fails to successfully work characters from the original trilogy in when it tries to. To great disappointment, I'm really not looking forward to part 2.
This and critic's reviews so far make me sad. But it does have a pretty high (admittedly falling) user score on IMDb. Hey, I'm clinging on to whatever hope I can.