Any Theories On Why Some People Just Look Instead of Post?

Tools    

You left me far behind now

maybe movie companies all look at what we have too say about them, so they know if they should make changes at future movies and all that.
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

Someone should make a movie about Victoria's Secret. Or at least do some blatant movie advertising.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
you just post those inane comments to surpass us all!! i'm peeved.

look at how soon it's been since PLite joined and how he's #3! you make me ill. nyah nyah. who're you to call sunfrog weird with his butter thoughts when you have underwear thoughts 24/7! for shame!

i am amazed. The Original Pigsnie has spoken!

*raises hands* A moment of silence, please.

ok ok, so ... do i get royalties for the downloads of my pic?

yes, i understand about the lurking. it happens. here are my theories (I expect to be paid for these):

1) A lot of people register in order to say something, then get sidetracked, and never do. It happens to me all the time. Hence, a gazillion accts at a gazillion places, and either they want you to confirm by e-mail so you never get around to following through and you're a "member" but you never go back to the site, or you post once and forget the site existed for on your history bar are 300 other sites and, sorry to say, this one does not stand out in your day-to-day netsurfing affairs.

I don't think the people registered are studios cuz they don't need to respond, they just need to use us compensation-free and all they have to do is scan our most private, intimate, movie related interactions.

2) The people lurking just found us, linger perhaps for that one time and never come back. So maybe 15 people are total strangers and never come back, or maybe do, but read only out of curiosity, and never feel compelled to join or post. But only Chris would know this, if he logs IPs, but logging may only happen with posting and if he can't track visitors then he will never know if that's so.

3) Regular lurkers, and members who have yet to post - they intend to but are taking their sweet time.

You know, part of the motivation in your core group is they were here to MAKE your board. There's a total drop in the intimidation factor when you come along and see a young dude making a movie forum with just him and one other person talking about a movie. So you say hey, I gotta do what I can for my fellow moviegoers and stake my claim to fame. Hence, my original posts, way back when, and the satisfaction of seeing the site grow and change and knowing you were there "back when".

But when the board get busy with PigsnieLites and strange flyby sunfrogs and TobyDammits and illustrious mystery renaissance men like the Original PDaddy, lurkers feel plenty is being said already and a) they can't possibly contribute positively to it or say anything new or b) they don't feel like walking into a crowd to feel like Toose has recently - that they might get * - either shot down or ** ignored altogether.

so they wait ... and wait ... and then casually walk in with a brief comment to test the waters, and/or a gushing to accomodate for their silence and frustrated eagerness to prove that they, too, are great masters of moviegoing nonsense.

it doesn't matter, darlings, when you come. so long as you come. come into the light ... into the light ....

PS - I think the reason why you haven't had to work so hard Chris to keep us loyal and to continue to gain a steadfast trickle of members is cuz the discussion here is so fabulous. hotheaded opinionated teens, romantic older men with throbbing brains, sexy wicked governesses with a stash of net pics at the affordable price of $19.95, and the insider knews from a lovely gal named Laurie and the sense of a small but strong community that won't fail to deliver something utterly insane (our regular leading man, PLite), wonderfully principled (our ever present hero and founder, TWT), deliciously worldly (all hail the great Mr. Pigsnie!!), odd but lovable (monsieur sunfrog), et al ...

we're a neverending net/movie/world stage soap and by god, I love you all!

*bows*

THE END!

Oh Thmilin, I think you are the most wonderful sexy beast woman & I cant wait to look at your frilly knickers & your heavin mangos pn our weddin night! MARRY ME!

PLite

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I'm kinda unclear where this thread has gone, but am just posting so that I might have a chance at beating PLite to the 1000 post mark.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Female assassin extraordinaire.
do you want a spanking, spdrcr? you don't just post to beat PLite, shame on you!

Glad to have inspired you all ...

Toose, I know you're over it, but I was mentioning it as an example, dahling, that's why the thread is here and we're discussing lurking habits of the native movieforum guest as they rummage through the wild underbrush of threads and meandering posts ...

PLite - i did not say I was a BEAST! now you're not getting any sort of glimpse of my frilly knickers or heaving mangoes. though, i don't really wear frilly knickers. unless you're into roleplaying in which case --

ahem. what? where was I? oh yes ... lurkers, i continue to insist that you must all come into the light.

...i know I don't have a chance at beating PLite to the 1000 mark since he's already over 700, but i figured it was worth a try.

Hey! Was I offended? I can't tell.
I'm at skizool and should be doing something, instead here I am. When I was a Critic I went through my review phase, then when I was an Addict I came here everyday, several times a day. Now that I'm a Wacko I'm wacky. Woohoo! Arf!

Dang PLite dusted me. Yes, I just posted some of those things to catch up, but I'm scared of abusing the mighty Twt's bandwith.

You can't say $19.95 and then not provide a link.
Eek! Teacher's behind me! Gotta hit submit!

Yeah i know how you feel sun...As soon as i started getting close to 500 I just calmed down. I don't know why there's such a hurry to become a wacko, where as before all you had to do is move to a major city and try manuvering through traffic. But now, Chris made it easy for you to become a wacko, just make 500 posts and voila...

So I am depressed now that Thmilin has said she will not show me her knickers. BTW Spud, I think it would be very easy for you & Sun to catch up with me, youre only 200 posts behind. 200 posts is like nothin!

YEAH, I AGREE, hahaha!!!

PS. I was gonna agree to your post below TWT but I know youll duck tape me if I agree anymore.

[Edited by PigsnieLite on 09-13-2001]

Can the guests not participate in a chat? I wondered what they do, apparently they just read, gotta say i do enjoy reading the very old posts.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Can the guests not participate in a chat? I wondered what they do, apparently they just read, gotta say i do enjoy reading the very old posts.
Sometimes I look just to see what the guests are reading, and many times, they are older posts.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
What's the record for the longest time between previous last post and current thread bump? Any advance on 16 years?

You can't win an argument just by being right!
What's the record for the longest time between previous last post and current thread bump? Any advance on 16 years?
Wow, who goes back that far? I wouldn't recognise any poster except the forum owner.