Best Battle Scene Best Fight Scene

Tools    

The Fungus Among Us
Choose one or two for each so others can post scenes not yet mentioned.

I will steal the most obvious...

Best Battle Scenes: Saving Private Ryan (Omaha Beach Landing)
Return of the King (battle for Minas Tirith)

Best Fight Scenes: Star Wars Ep. 2 (Yoda vs. Count Dooku)
Legend of the Drunken Master (Axe gang scene)

BBS: King Arthur (Final Battle v. Saxons)
Braveheart (Battle of Sterling)

BFS: Fight Club (Ed Norton fights himself in Parking Garage)
The Incredible Hulk (Hulk v. Abomination aka "HULK SMASH!")
[punches him in the face, grabs him and points his gun right at his throat] I never said anything about the FBI. She's my partner, ese. And if anything happens to her, I will find you and I will kill you. I won't think twice. Come here, look in my eyes. [pushes barrel of the gun into his mouth and cocks it] Look at my face. If anything happens to her, I will kill you. This is between you and me, and nobody sees, nobody knows.

Best battle/fight scene?
Either...
  • The last fight scenes in the John Wayne Alamo movie.
  • Fight scenes in the movie Zulu, with Michael Caine.

Chimes at Midnight
1966 - Orson Welles

Welles' frenzied, muddy, chaotic rendition of the Battle of Shrewsbury is like a ten-minute film school on how to make a perfect battle scene. That he accomplished this with a relatively small budget and crew highlights his filmmaking genius even more brightly. Mel Gibson and company clearly cribbed more than a couple shots and plenty of technique for Braveheart. I like Orson's much better.

And while it hasn't been replied to since '04, there's a long thread about best fight scenes HERE.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

A system of cells interlinked
Although many people malign this film, I like handling of the battle scene in The Thin Red Line in which they storm the hill. The swooping camera and unique sound engineering always pull me right in...

I won't say it's the best, but I like it a lot.

Welcome to the human race...
I'm going to stand up for the cheesy cult classics here...

"Say hello to the 21st century!"

BEST BATTLE SCENE: The castle siege from Army of Darkness. Watch this and the Helm's Deep siege from The Two Towers back to back and see where Jackson drew a heavy chunk of inspiration. Exploding arrows blowing evil skeletons to dust, bombs being catapulted into enemy ranks, even Ash piloting a bizarre "death-mobile" with helicopter rotors slicing up whatever's in his path. It's a bizarre cluster-f*** of a battle scene that mixes lovably bad puppets, loads of explosions, a good handful of sword-fighting and all manner of bizarre Evil Dead-style bits of humour.

"You dirty mother-f***er!"

BEST FIGHT SCENE: "Put on the glasses!" Rowdy Roddy Piper does what he does best in John Carpenter's infamous anti-consumerism B-movie when he tries to convince Keith David's take-no-crap worker Frank to wear the glasses that expose the truth about our world. What was originally supposed to be a twenty-second sequence in the script ballooned out to a six-minute long alleyway brawl between Piper and David (at the insistence of both). The lack of music and the fact that a large number of the hits were real (excluding hits to the face or groin) make it easy to believe that this is a genuine brawl in a movie about a world where almost nothing is genuine anymore.

Best battle/fight scene?
Either...
  • The last fight scenes in the John Wayne Alamo movie.
  • Fight scenes in the movie Zulu, with Michael Caine.
Okay, Zulu is a good pick, but I'm always amazed when someone cites John Wayne's The Alamo for any accomplishment. Hollywood has never made a good, truthful film about the battle of the Alamo, and IMHO the John Wayne version is probably the worst. If Crockett, Bowie, and Travis had been as pompus and hammy as portrayed in that film, they couldn't have led men to a dog fight. But that's just my opinion.

The only movie with an Alamo setting that I've really enjoyed was Viva, Max!

OK, the best battle scenes :

The air combat in 12 O'Clock High. Those are actual films of the air war in World War II.

The confused attacks, retreats, and counter-attacks in The Red Badge of Courage, which I still think is the most realistic war movie Hollywood ever made.

The two German fighters making a useless straffing run on the troops swarming the Normandy beaches in The Longest Day.

The Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor in From Here to Eternity, especially the scene where the Japanese fighter makes a straffing run at the men on the parade ground at Schofield Barracks.

The assault on the farm house at the end of A Walk in the Sun.

The down-and-dirty fighting in Attack! when Jack Palance gets his armed pinned under a German tank.

The confused battle among the trees and snow in Battleground. The assault scenes in Battle Cry!

The realistic knife fight in Saving Pvt. Ryan, which is the only thing that impressed me in that whole film.

Plus:
The air battles in Hell’s Angels (1930)

The hand-to-hand bayonet battle in Hell to Eternity (1960).

The mortar attack on the company headquarters and the subsequent nighttime Japanese attack on a mountain outpost that only 2 men survive in Between Heaven and Hell (1956)

The hopeless attacks against enemy trenches in Paths of Glory and Gallipoli.

Do I look crazy????
And I'll stand up for cheesy martial arts movies, still love all Kill Bill's and the Drunken Master was pretty cool to watch, I can't believe it's an actual style!

Although many people malign this film, I like handling of the battle scene in The Thin Red Line in which they storm the hill. The swooping camera and unique sound engineering always pull me right in...

I won't say it's the best, but I like it a lot.
Ditto -- I love The Thin Red Line.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/

300 is a awsome film and the battles are great.

This fight sceane is amazing

Not sure about favourite battle scene but I love the one in Kill Bill 1, no matter how unrealistic it is!

"Band of brothers" i think it is my all time favorite war movie and has the best fighting scenes. I had watched it when it was new on HBO and when it came out on DVD i watched every episode on the 11 disc set in a row. I just couldn't turn it off. "Blackhawk Down" is a close second. A must have for both movies is surround sound.

Why's there a gun in your trousers?
Battle for Helms Deep in LOTR: Two Towers or The Battle of 5 points from the begining of Gangs of New York. I love it.