The King's reviews

→ in
Tools    

The King of Movies
I'm going to bypass constructive criticism entirely and say that you are worse than a moron. Stupidity is bad enough by itself, but willful ignorance is far worse.
How is not wanting to watch a movie that looks bad willful ignorance?

Welcome to the human race...
Let me think - you don't want to watch it "because it looks bad". Unless you've got some other reason you haven't mentioned or admitted to, you won't see it simply because it's old and black-and-white. Night of the Living Dead, whether you like it or not, is the quintessential classic of the zombie genre. I'm not saying you have to like it once you've finished watching it, but to say you simply refuse to watch it at all (especially for such trivial reasons as the "look" of the film) really does seem rather narrow-minded.

The King of Movies
Let me think - you don't want to watch it "because it looks bad". Unless you've got some other reason you haven't mentioned or admitted to, you won't see it simply because it's old and black-and-white. Night of the Living Dead, whether you like it or not, is the quintessential classic of the zombie genre. I'm not saying you have to like it once you've finished watching it, but to say you simply refuse to watch it at all (especially for such trivial reasons as the "look" of the film) really does seem rather narrow-minded.
I can not see your point.

Old and black and white movies seem bad to me.

If the movie looks bad i will not go and see it.

I don't know what weird reason that stops other people from watching a movie, because last time i checked people decide what movie to watch based on what they see.

Just because they seem bad doesn't necessarily mean they are bad. God knows how many classics you've probably dismissed simply because "they look bad so I don't want to see them".

Plus, with forty years' worth of outstanding acclaim from both critics and audiences alike, I'd say there's more to it than meets the eye.

The King of Movies
Just because they seem bad doesn't necessarily mean they are bad. God knows how many classics you've probably dismissed simply because "they look bad so I don't want to see them".
So you are willing to watch every single movie ever made then?

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I get not watching a movie because it looks bad. I mean, I don't intend to ever see Norbit, for example. But 'looks bad' and 'is in black and white' are absolutely not the same thing. Are you never going to watch Schindler's List or Psycho either? Or is there more to it than it being in black and white, and if so, what?

I get not watching a movie because it looks bad. I mean, I don't intend to ever see Norbit, for example. But 'looks bad' and 'is in black and white' are absolutely not the same thing. Are you never going to watch Schindler's List or Psycho either? Or is there more to it than it being in black and white, and if so, what?
This post sums up everything that King likes about "new movies" (which seem to be the only kind he watches) and he dislikes new movies for supposedly lacking the qualities he mentions in that post. I'm a little skeptical over whether he limits himself to colour movies because he names American History X as one of his favourites, which has a substantial number of scenes shot in black-and-white.

Unless of course he fast-forwards the black-and-white scenes for being too boring...

The King of Movies
Its not the actual "black and white" to a movie that i don't like. "Black and White" is pretty much a metaphor for old time movies, which im not a fan of. But of course if i see and old movie which looks good it being black and white will not stop me from watching it.

The King of Movies
This post sums up everything that King likes about "new movies" (which seem to be the only kind he watches) and he dislikes new movies for supposedly lacking the qualities he mentions in that post. I'm a little skeptical over whether he limits himself to colour movies because he names American History X as one of his favourites, which has a substantial number of scenes shot in black-and-white.

Unless of course he fast-forwards the black-and-white scenes for being too boring...
Black and white is just a metaphor for old time movies.

I couldn't care less if a movie is black and white, unless the movie is gorry OR if the movie is actually new and is shot in a "dark" way just so it can look smart but in reality just be a pain in the ass if you have a crappy TV as you can not see what the hell is going on (eg. Sin City).

In that case, I have to ask - what's so wrong with Night of the Living Dead that you won't watch it? If you liked Day, and plan on seeing Dawn, why not go with Night?

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Black and white is just a metaphor for old time movies.
How old is 'old time'? Pre-Star Wars?

OR if the movie is actually new and is shot in a "dark" way just so it can look smart but in reality just be a pain in the ass if you have a crappy TV as you can not see what the hell is going on (eg. Sin City).
That is surely a problem with your tv, not the movie. I saw Sin City at the cinema and it looked great

Also, why bother referring to all old movies as "black-and-white" when you can just call them "old"? Not to mention the fact that not all old movies are in black-and-white.

The King of Movies
In that case, I have to ask - what's so wrong with Night of the Living Dead that you won't watch it? If you liked Day, and plan on seeing Dawn, why not go with Night?
Im just not one for old school horror.

The King of Movies
How old is 'old time'? Pre-Star Wars?

That is surely a problem with your tv, not the movie. I saw Sin City at the cinema and it looked great
Yeah i would say old time is pre-star wars

Yeah well i do not actually have a cinema screen in my house.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by king_of_movies
Im just not one for old school horror.
Fair enough.

(But how do you know? )

Originally Posted by king
Yeah i would say old time is pre-star wars
Ah the old Depression days eh? Yeah, the 70s were pretty rough.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
First of all, I believe that you should be able to watch whatever you want. However, I tell everybody to watch as many different kinds of movies, from as many different countries and eras as possible. It certainly cannot hurt anybody and you hopefully will be pleasantly surprised, at least some of the time. I'm not really sure how long you've been loving movies or who may have influenced your viewing habits, if anyone, when you were younger. I've been showing my daughter movies of all kinds now for about six years, and she's 17 now and just applied to several colleges, including the film schools at NYU and USC.

Secondly, you are probably going to watch all the Dead movies, so you might as well watch Night. It's made by the same director as the other Dead movies and was one of the more graphic films made up till that time. Hey, I'll be the first to admit that I don't even think it's a very good film, and it's low-budget, but I've seen it at least six times, and it certainly has some shocking scenes. It would be more fun for everybody if you watched it so we could discuss it for real instead of just imagining that it's beneath discussion. Besides that, it's only 96 minutes long, and you can watch it for free here. Remember to turn the lights out.