Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Double (2013)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Lord High Filmquisitor

It's Such a Beautiful Day - 7.5/10

This could probably best be described as uncomfortably hilarious; I laughed all the way through to the ending, to the point where it helped to deal with the depressive thoughts and actions of one poor schlub and the increasingly bizarre and horrible things that happen to him despite himself. Even if it's not a favorite of mine, it's so intensely different from what I'm used to seeing, and succeeds so extremely well at being its own entity, that I've already recommended it to half a dozen people.

Seven Samurai - 10/10

I really wish that I would have found the time to see this before starting my Top 100 list, because this would have certainly made my top 15, if not nudging into my top 10. It develops its extremely broad cast of characters shockingly well over its 3 1/2 hour run-time, and is paced as perfectly as Schindler's List (to where I didn't even notice how incredibly long it was until near the end). I am also amazed by Kurosawa's delicate use of light and shadow, creating a series of shots that are strikingly distinct and memorable long before anything actually happens within them. This is not just my favorite Kurosawa film, but my favorite Asian film overall. It's far superior to the never-the-less high quality remake The Magnificent Seven.

THE DARK KNIGHT (2008)

trendy to not like this movie right now, and that's cool. this thinking will probably go on for a little while. i believe there will come a time where folks will revere it again. the only other Caped Crusader that belongs with this one is Batman (1989), for me. only type of Batman that might could outdo these is if you went full Bat-Noir and resurrected Orson Welles to play Bruce Wayne

this is a Rating:
8.0 / 10 movie

MEOW

Lord High Filmquisitor

THE DARK KNIGHT (2008)

trendy to not like this movie right now
Is it? I've not actually seen anything especially negative thrown at this movie since its release (barring those that just blanketly dislike action / superhero / Nolan movies). The Dark Knight Rises seems to catch a lot of flack (for the unspeakable crime of being just okay) and Batman Begins gets its fair share down the pipeline, but The Dark Knight seems pretty well beyond reproach (at least going off of what I've been privy to).

The Wolf of Wall Street

I had a lot of fun with this, the things that happen in this film are so implausible and would have any casual viewer screaming "No way these things happen to a Wall Street worker, no f*cking way" but I just lost myself in the b*ll**** and had a tremendously fun time.

I don't think The Aviator or Shutter Island can top this but that remains to be seen.

John Wick. 9/10.

Well I knew this was a very hyped movie going into watching it. But I had some concerns. First of which I was concerned the whole "made over 12 years" thing would be cool for a little bit but then get old and the story would be substandard. I was also concerned that I would not connect with it since it is a coming of age film which I had difficulty connecting with as I get closer to 30. Some of my concerns were true. The 12 year thing I got over about 90 minutes in, but part of that was being drawn into a legit good story. I admit it was pretty impressive to see this film unfold about a year or so at a time and watch this kid grow up. Even more impressive is the fact that the kids' acting remains very good throughout. I mean you get a guy like Ethan Hawke, you have a good actor. But to have a 6 year old kid be a good actor, change to a teenager, and still be on board to the project and still put in the same legit effort. That does say a lot about Linklater as a director. I also liked the bits where he deliberately dates the movie in certain years. I can say, "Oh look I remember when DBZ's Buu saga was on Toonami. I know what year that was." Or "That was an election year." It did help with the narrative flow for me. Either way it was a very ambitious project that payed off for Linklater. We shall see if it gets him some Oscar love.

Unregistered User

Umberto D (1952)

Such a simple story yet so heartfelt and bittersweet. Great acting and some really wonderfully shot scenes. I really should watch more Neo-realist movies like this.

+

Chimes at Midnight (1965)

Not my kind of humor but I laughed a couple times. I thought Orson Welles was just ok in it. The movie looks great, and the battle scene was cool, but I'm not big into Shakespeare. Mixed bag.

Force Majeure 2014 (Swedish: Turist)
...is smartly written, beautifully photographed, and darkly comic. Nice contrasts between dark humor, disappointment and broken trust. One of the best films of 2014. Recommended!

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Boyhood (Linklater) - 6/10 - I expected more coming from Linklater, though as I look, he's done some movies that are "kid commercial flicks"

It's an entertaining movie. I think because it was filmed over 12 years it's going to win an Oscar. It probably tells me that the other movies are horrible, the standards are so low, that any pretty good picture can win.

Boyhood (Linklater) - 6/10 - I expected more coming from Linklater, though as I look, he's done some movies that are "kid commercial flicks"

It's an entertaining movie. I think because it was filmed over 12 years it's going to win an Oscar. It probably tells me that the other movies are horrible, the standards are so low, that any pretty good picture can win.
Not only do I disagree with your assessment of Boyhood, but I especially agree with your second paragraph.

Watch Birdman, one of the most inventive and creative films in recent years, very unique and special in a different way to Boyhood. Then there's Foxcatcher featuring fantastic performances and a haunting story, Whiplash which I haven't seen but is getting rave reviews, The Grand Budapest Hotel which is delightful, and many others that I am happy to see challenging Boyhood.

2046 (2004)

Every bit as beautiful, imaginative and emotionally satisfying as I hoped it would be. Wong Kar Wai truly seems to be a director that completely fits my personal tastes. I always get extremely captivated with the mood and world he creates. His period pieces are particularly gorgeous. This story is set at the end of the '60s in Hong Kong and it features a few sci-fi sequences in between (the main character is a writer and is working on a sci-fi novel). The film plays like a romantic and tragic visual essay about the passing of time. I loved it!

+

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.
Magic in the Moonlight, 2014
Dir: Woody Allen

A very dull and uninspiring film about what is supposed to be the gaiety of magic and illusion. It is centered on this classic debate: faith and fantasy vs. skepticism and reality. Woody Allen tends to mock the arrogant, cynical pseudo-intellectual who covers his/her insecurities with the illusion of knowledge and substance. This time, I can't help but think that this movie is that same pseudo-intellectual, only in audiovisual form. On the surface it is smart and complex, but take away all of the layers of eloquent dialogue and pretty cinematography and you'll find it to be much emptier and shallow than it pretends to be. Even Allen's wit and comedic fluency are not at its prime here; the humor does not make up for its emptiness and vice versa. It is not however, a completely mediocre movie (or as mediocre as I've made it seem in this review). It is still better than your average romantic comedy and can be quite entertaining at times, but put it next to the many other Woody Allen gems and you'll find that Magic in the Moonlight is destined to be a mere blip in his lengthy, brilliant filmography.

6/10

Wild Things (1998)

I don't know how I missed this in the past because it's a very entertaining trashfest. I had no idea Bill Murray was in this; he was fantastic.