Bad/annoying characters in otherwise good movies

Tools    

Was watching Runaway train last night and I really enjoyed the movie but Eric Roberts character almost ruined the film for me and his appalling fake southern accent 😄

Every character in the movie Her I found annoying too. But by some miracle the film still managed to captivate me.

The last of us, as well. I know this one doesn't really counts since it's a TV show but the young brunette actress in the show almost made it unwatchable for me. But the show otherwise was genuinely brilliant. Again maybe an unpopular opinion.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
Mike Myers in Inglorious Basterds. Almost ruined the entire movie for me.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

Aaron Taylor-Johnson in Bullet Train and The Avengers: Age of Ultron. I don't think he's that good of an actor and he has a smugness about him that is off-putting and that gives him a punchable face. I like him in Nowhere Boy, the movie about John Lennon's childhood, but that's about it.

Directors who appear in their own movies, ugh! Not counting Hitch's 1 second cameos.

Yeah I tend to cringe every time I see Quentin tarantino act.

It used to be Chris Tucker in "The Fifth Element". But after numerous viewings, he fits in quite nicely.

So, ignore this post...

Yeah he has that Jar Jar Bink's energy going on Lol

Directors who appear in their own movies, ugh! Not counting Hitch's 1 second cameos.

THIS!!!!!

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
Yeah I tend to cringe every time I see Quentin tarantino act.

"act"

Can't say I blame him, though. Salma Hayek can stick her foot in my mouth any day.

"act"

Can't say I blame him, though. Salma Hayek can stick her foot in my mouth any day.

Well he definitely wasn't acting in this scene lol

Well he definitely wasn't acting in this scene lol

Yeah, that's getting into Brown Bunny territory.

The truth is in here
Hmm, I disagree with this. There have been some memorable director performances over the years. I always enjoy watching Woody Allen onscreen, Polanski did a fantastic job playing the lead in The Tenant, Victor Sjöström almost made me cry in The Phantom Carriage due to the emotion of his performance, and Chaplin... well, that one is self-explanatory.

As for Tarantino, I think he's kind of underrated as an actor. There's something so off-kilter about his energy that I find him very entertaining to watch. Nobody could have sounded more like a crazy person than him delivering that "storage" rant in Pulp Fiction for instance. He also made me die with laughter as the blind preacher in Little Nicky.

Hmm, I disagree with this. There have been some memorable director performances over the years. I always enjoy watching Woody Allen onscreen, Polanski did a fantastic job playing the lead in The Tenant, Victor Sjöström almost made me cry in The Phantom Carriage due to the emotion of his performance, and Chaplin... well, that one is self-explanatory.

As for Tarantino, I think he's kind of underrated as an actor. There's something so off-kilter about his energy that I find him very entertaining to watch. Nobody could have sounded more like a crazy person than him delivering that "storage" rant in Pulp Fiction for instance. He also made me die with laughter as the blind preacher in Little Nicky.
Totally agree with you about Woody Allen, I always enjoy his performances but that's because he's also an actor. I was thinking of Tarantion and Oliver Stone.

For me the go to for this is Beetlejuice in Beetlejuice, I can't stand the character and every moment he's on screen makes me want to stop watching but the rest of the characters and the world are damn near perfect so I can push through his scenes. Luckily for me despite the film being named after him he's more of an antagonist and therefore isn't in the movie enough to cancel out the good.

For me the go to for this is Beetlejuice in Beetlejuice, I can't stand the character and every moment he's on screen makes me want to stop watching but the rest of the characters and the world are damn near perfect so I can push through his scenes. Luckily for me despite the film being named after him he's more of an antagonist and therefore isn't in the movie enough to cancel out the good.
I thought Micheal Keaton went way over the top with his improv performance. He's an actor who needs a director that keeps him reeled in and focused on the written script. I don't think he has the right type of comedy chops to pull off the freeform improv style of character comedy. Jim Carey (i.e. The Mask) would've been my first choice. Or just reel Keaton in a bit, I don't think he was the major attraction of the movie though he was the biggest star at the time.