Banana, Panda, Monkey

Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
Which two go together?

Gah, nobody played - so i'll tell you why i put this silly "game" here.

According to an "expert" Chinese respondants normally choose one pairing, and "western"/american respondants normally choose another. Which do you think they chose? And is there a pairing you find more satisfying?? What would be your first response?

Originally Posted by Golgot
Gah, nobody played - so i'll tell you why i put this silly "game" here.

According to an "expert" Chinese respondants normally choose one pairing, and "western"/american respondants normally choose another. Which do you think they chose? And is there a pairing you find more satisfying?? What would be your first response?

O.K I 'll have a go then....... Monkey/Banana

My initial thought was Panda/Monkey but thinking on it I my answer above seemed more appropriate somehow. Certainly not Banana/Panda, that doesn't work at all.

I don't have a clue as to which answer would be given by Chinese and Westerners. Perhaps, CHINESE: Panda/Monkey and WEST: Banana/Monkey.

i'll reveal all in a while - tho your instinctual first choice is the one the "expert" was interested in. So cheers for saying what your first impression was.

The associations he's looking at are obviously used by both "groups", but there seems to be certain "preference" from one to the other.

My first impression was Panda/Monkey… because they're both living breathing things... but the image that popped in my head a few seconds later was of an old stuffed toy monkey I used to have that was holding a banana...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Put me in your pocket...
Definately Banana/Monkey.....

Oooo...the innuendo possibilties here. I'm in one of those moods again.

I See You When You're Sleeping
Panda, Banana, Monkey

The Panda and the Banana go together so the Panda has control of the monkey.

i.e the Monkey is the Panda's bitch.

Originally Posted by MinionTV
Panda, Banana, Monkey

The Panda and the Banana go together so the Panda has control of the monkey.

i.e the Monkey is the Panda's bitch.
I can’t wait to see if the so-called experts even thought of that one…

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
I can’t wait to see if the so-called experts even thought of that one…
I think they classify Minions as having Oriented themselves so far West they've left the planet and don't count

I'm still imagining how the panda feeds its monkey. And whether Aniko's doing the same right now, sitting on her washing machine

Heheh, humph. Back to the science-game...

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by Golgot
I'm still imagining how the panda feeds its monkey. And whether Aniko's doing the same right now, sitting on her washing machine
Heheh...and you'll just have to keep on imagining my curious fellow. I'll never tell. Gotta go....the spin cycle is coming up.~~

Now...back to your game. Are you going to give us more words to match?

well, there is an irish version apparently - that goes: lettuce, potato, knife.

thought i'd get one or two more responses then reveal all. It's more psychology in society than a game. Mwuhahaha

My life isn't written very well.
I'll say "Panda and banana". Don't know why exactly, other than they sound good together. Saying those two words in that order has a rhythm that plays well in my head. Just watch, when Gg reveals his answer (read thesis ), it will say I'm completely insane. Oh well....

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

hehehe, you have already been categorised under the scatty-minion category. Prepare for long nights of sleeplessness (and possibly disturbing fruit-related dreams )

Ahhh, be proud bruv. Spread that monkey-controlling love (if it's any consolation, statistics suggest you may be more Chinse than the Chinese. You weren't Mao in your last life where you? When were you born? Now I'm suspicious )

Aha, now my breath-holding masses, here's the reason for this tick-the-box silliness.

The theory behind this little poser is....

"Western" thinkers theorhetically have a (slight?) preference for "generic" groupings (i.e. animals - foods [-good -bad? ] etc)

Chinese people are more likely to go for day-to-day connections/groupings etc as a preffered info-aligning approach (it might be worth pointing out, on a minor issue, that they can't use alphabetic groupings, for example like we can, and hence much of their filing is highly esoteric. But there's also plenty of focus-over-time and spiritual/philosophy issues that come into play too)

That's the theory anyways. As ever, the MoFo multiplicity has managed to be completely inconsistant Long live the uncategorisable human (or will they all be done away with by "conservatives" that can't stand ambiguity and lack of clarity? Time will tell - as technology's bell rings louder)

Ah, so many issues. Wouldn't life be boring without controversy

EDIT: Oh dear - too much controversy for the green-grammerless one and his negative-standing wand I have been smited (or is that smitten? ). I didn't mean the political phenomenon, so much as the other practices where these thought-processes (avoidance of uncertainty [which can lead to black-n-white thinking]- intolerance of ambiguity etc) can flourish. My fault then....

To clarify:

I was talking about the tendancy amongst some thinkers to want to simplify the world down to fit their thinking-style. As our powers to influence the world increase (tho not exactly how we want by any means) we may will see further steps towards making the world around us conform to our thought-processes. A frighteningly limiting possibility. Seeing as there's so much we can't understand, an understandable/ more "logical" world would be a f***ed-up place indeed.

Some tick-the-box thinkers (that fit the "conservative" mental-mould put forward by some psychologists recently) in the scientific world would indeed like to limit variety (through genetic-technology) in terms of....

-"curing" dyslexia (with all it's associated benfits/variences from "standard" thought etc - i.e. tendancies in some varients for highly focused thought [or an inability to multi-task, depending on how you see it ] - we need an education system that adapts to their skills, not pea-brains trying to cut them out of creation)

-Given such logic, can we expect to see...."cures" for left-handers perhaps, ( , I'm in trouble ), "cures" for Chinese people even?? Now that might seem like going to far - but to some of these guys are attracted by things that practically border on eugenics.

Most of this is derived from conversations with active biologists etc.

the question could be: at what point do we decide our preferred thought processes are more valid than the world's method's of "arrangment"? Well, many already have decided this it appears to me - or at least in how they operate. Easy to fall into but hardly ever condonable in this modern world where our personalities and practices can reach out and affect so many things.

Happy now your conservative-ness? (or is that gonna earn me another red-mark? )

(dammit, now it has turned into the thesis r3 predicted - whoops )