Favorite Gun Fight

Tools    

What is your favorite gun fight scene(s)?

The Matrix

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Scarface

Desperado

mofo's...........DRAW!

I thought we had a thread similar to this one but couldn't find it when I did a search...

anyway,

besides the shootouts already listed, a few of my favorites are:

Léon ~ S.W.A.T. raid

The Boondock Saints ~ outside the house

The Terminator ~ Police Station

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
I really think that bullet per bullet The Wild Bunch and The Way of the Gun, feature the best gunfights.

I do love the low angle shots in The Terminator when he raids the police station.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

I really think that bullet per bullet The Wild Bunch and The Way of the Gun, feature the best gunfights.

I do love the low angle shots in The Terminator when he raids the police station.

I almost listed The Wild Bunch...

BTW, nice to see you...

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I certainly like the finales of High Noon, Gunfight at the OK Corral and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Then, you've got several scenes in The Killer and Hard-Boiled.

The Killer, Desperado, Die Hard and Die Hard 2, Lethal Weapon, Red Heat, Black Hawk Down, The Replacement Killers, Bad Boys 2, Saving Private Ryan, Hamburger Hill, The Matrix, The Matrix Reloaded, Extreme Prejudice, The Terminator, T2, Scarface, The Rock, Commando, Hardboiled, True Romance, Rambo 2, Rambo 3, Point Break, The Departed, The Wild Bunch, Red Scorpion, Reservoir Dogs, The Last Boyscout, and Red Dawn

I suppose I'm missing a bunch, but those are my favorite "shootout" movies, although I guess you could drop some of them into the "war film" category.

Miller's Crossing (1990 - Coen Bros.)
The "Danny Boy" assassination attempt on Leo (Albert Finney).
To view, click

It doesn't wind up being much of a fight, as it's pretty much all Leo's skill dishing out the lead, but it's an absolutely brilliant sequence of gunplay, meticulously choreographed and detailed by Joel & Ethan.

Second I'd put the already mentioned finale of The Wild Bunch (1969) [click
], and one that's somehow been missed as third; the street shootout after the robbery in Heat (1995) [click
].

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The People's Republic of Clogher

Miller's Crossing (1990 - Coen Bros.)
The "Danny Boy" assassination attempt on Leo (Albert Finney).
To view, click

It doesn't wind up being much of a fight, as it's pretty much all Leo's skill dishing out the lead, but it's an absolutely brilliant sequence of gunplay, meticulously choreographed and detailed by Joel & Ethan.
beat me to it. Not just my favourite gunfight but one of my all-time favourite scenes...

The old man's still an artist with a Thompson.

I'll throw in a wild card - Costner's Open Range

Welcome to the human race...
Damn, most of my favourites have been mentioned already.

As for one that hasn't been mentioned - I reckon Hard-Boiled has several good ones, especially the three-minute-long Steadicam shot that follows the two leads through a gunfight across two floors against about fifty bad guys.

You're your own worst enemy!

I'll go with Matrix even though they where out of bullets they grab another one just for fun!!!! hehehe I enjoy it as possible as it can get.

The street shootout scene in Heat is often mentioned as an example of perfect directing and editing, but, as seen in Miami Vice, you can always repeat something, or direct it even better. But, the final shootout between Pacino and De Niro is not only perfectly executed, but is also perfectly unique, two of the greatest actors in an ultimate showdown, and you choose who to root for, because they are both characters you sympathize with, they're not simply a cop and a crook.

Also, a lot of already mentioned movies, but also pretty much every Leone movie, Reservoir Dogs (Steve Buscemi running from the cops), Road To Perdition (not much of a movie, but some great gun fight scenes), and war movies like Saving Private Ryan and Full Metal Jacket.

Tyger, Tyger, Burning Bright
How about a couple of other wild card ones:

Almost any of the battle scenes from Gettysburg - but specifically I'd point out Chamberlain's defense and charge

Enemy at the Gates - There are a few impressive sniper fights, especially the longer one near the end with Jude Law and Ed Harris

I like the one in Face/Off. Classy...

The Matrix

Scarface

Desperado

mofo's...........DRAW!
Two great gunfights in Shane when Jack Palance as Wilson downs "Stonewall" Torrey, and when Shane takes out Wilson and the brothers who hired him.

The Matrix

Scarface

Desperado

mofo's...........DRAW!
Here's a couple of offbeat "shootouts"-- Anyone remember Sinatra in the Western Johnny Concho (1956) in which he's lording it over this small western town because his brother is the fastest gun alive? Until a stranger wanders into town one day with news that he recently killed the fast-gun brother in shoot-out. Sinatra's cowardly character then gets his lumps from everyone he'd picked on when his brother was alive. But the ex-sheriff takes pity on him when he's called out by his brother's killer and gives him a special weapon-a gun holster that clicks open at a touch so all he has to do is swing the gun up without ever pulling it from the holster. It was a nifty take on frontier technology even if Sinatra never did face down the killer (at least I don't recall an actual shootout).

The most unusual "gunfight" of all time, however, was in Terror in a Texas Town (1958) when ex-seaman Sterling Hayden takes on a fast gun armed with a harpoon!

The two most realistic shootouts of all time:

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance does it unseen from an alley across the street with a rifle.

Called out by a gunfighter in Waterhole #3 (1967), James Coburn steps behind his horse, pulls a rifle from its scabbard, steadies it across the saddle and nails the distant pistolero at the other end of the street.

Movie Forums Critic
I must say matrix, is one of the great gun fight.....and desperado