Quiet, slow-paced, rural movies?

Tools    

Friends,

What an awesome site this is.

I just watched Axel's Babette's Feast and was mesmerized by its meditative atmosphere. The sense of barren seascapes and a forlorn land of simple villages was communicated very nicely. Being a Lutheran myself, I appreciated the many-layered treatment of simple peasant faith.

Does anyone know of films that are similar to this one? Would it probably be a good bet to stick with Scandinavian directors? I've heard that the older ones (1950s-1980s) were very slow & quiet indeed.

Good idea for a thread! I actually really enjoy watching slower paced movies.

Taste of Cherry
A Day in The Country
La Strada
Amarcord
Ugetsu
Kwaidan

I still haven't seen Babette's Feast, but from how you described being mesmerized by the atmosphere, the first thing I thought of was Yasujiro Ozu. Most of his films are more urban, but the atmosphere is totally there.

Not currently on fire...
Werner Herzog's 'Heart of Glass' must be the best example, although it is highly surrealist. The entire cast aside from the lead actor were hypnotised and their movements are slow and eerie, there is not really a plot at all.

If you like your films a little... arty.... the beautiful Morgana et ses Nymphes (1971) is a languorously placed French erotica in a stunning castle setting.

Friends,

What an awesome site this is.

I just watched Axel's Babette's Feast and was mesmerized by its meditative atmosphere. The sense of barren seascapes and a forlorn land of simple villages was communicated very nicely. Being a Lutheran myself, I appreciated the many-layered treatment of simple peasant faith.

Does anyone know of films that are similar to this one? Would it probably be a good bet to stick with Scandinavian directors? I've heard that the older ones (1950s-1980s) were very slow & quiet indeed.

A Month in The Country (very gentle pace, set just after WW1. Excellent performances from Colin Firth and Kenneth Branagh)
The Woodlanders (definitely a weepy film but very gentle pace- it was filmed over a year so the changing of the seasons can be seen in the film)
The Scarlett Tunic (again, another weepy but really nice film)
Dancing at Lughnasa (tale of five Irish sisters)

First three nice pastoral films of the sort you wouldn't get in 21st century. Fourth is just nice gentle film.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I agree especially about "La Strada" - it's my 2nd favorite film (I think).

I rented "Ugetsu" today. Last time I checked it out I didn't watch it, as I had 5 others to compete with, and found out it wasn't made by Kurosawa.. Sometimes I need that extra motivation, as there is only so much time, so many films...

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Earth (30)
Harvest (37)
The Baker's Wife
The Well-Digger's Daughter
(40)
The Southerner
The Yearling
The Sundowners (60)

Far from the Madding Crowd
Bound for Glory
Days of Heaven
Tess
Jean de Florette/Manon of the Spring
My Father's Glory/My Mother's Castle
Dances with Wolves
The Bridges of Madison County
Nothing Personal
(09)

I agree especially about "La Strada" - it's my 2nd favorite film (I think).

I rented "Ugetsu" today. Last time I checked it out I didn't watch it, as I had 5 others to compete with, and found out it wasn't made by Kurosawa.. Sometimes I need that extra motivation, as there is only so much time, so many films...
Ugetsu is an excellent ghost story. Kenji Mizoguchi is not Kurosawa, but Ugetsu and Sansho The Bailiff are essential viewing for Japan.

Thank you for the replies and suggestions! Wow! Of course, each film is unique. It is always a combination of factors that makes a particular movie shine for this or that person.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Ugetsu is an excellent ghost story. Kenji Mizoguchi is not Kurosawa, but Ugetsu and Sansho The Bailiff are essential viewing for Japan.
You're right, Mizoguchi is not Kurosawa. He's on a completely different level of film art than Kurosawa.

You're right, Mizoguchi is not Kurosawa. He's on a completely different level of film art than Kurosawa.
I think they're just different, but I personally do like Mizoguchi more. Kurosawa is unmatched technically, but it always seems like Mizoguchi has more to say.

Hmm... "Sometimes A Great Notion," but it's not peaceful, it's RURAL. (??) Story of a lumber-cutting family in Oregon. I like Myosaki's(spelling) animated films, which strangely have green, nice landscapes and are often in the country. "My Friend Totoro" and "Pompoy" and others. Yes, Tender Mercies.
Lots of productions of Agatha Christie's Miss Marple murder mysteries; serene, old Britain. Nothing noisy except the murders. I believe it was the 20's or 30's?Oh, a film with Mia Farrow, in Tahiti or the Hawwaian Islands, until the end where horrible typhoon hit."Typhoon"?"Hurricaine"? there are some old movies that show the Polynesian islands, that are tranquil.. Sigh, those islands that now have hurricaines so badly, all the population is leaving. Yes, any movie showing serene islands. "Blue Lagoon," ha ha! Hmm? Any Australian films?