Baltimore Bridge Total Collapse, Francis Scott Key bridge

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Heartbreaking stuff.

This is exactly what happened in 1980 to the first Skyway bridge. My Dad missed that tragedy by 10 minutes. He saw the cargo ship coming in too close as he was going to work that morning.

This happened at 1:30am, but it looks like the entire bridge fell. Also being in Baltimore you'd have to think traffic would be more likely than other bridges at that time.

Yeah, I am fine, everybody I know is good. I did use that bridge occasionally, but only once or twice a month to get to band gigs. It is not one of my regular routes.

Craziness.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

That's not even the "scary" bridge in the area. There are lots of people who are terrified to use the much bigger Bay Bridge. This is not going to help anybody with bridge-crossing anxieties anywhere in the world.

Our gigantic Amazon fulfillment center is right on one side of that bridge. The traffic headaches this is going to create throughout the area for many, many months is not gonna be pretty.

A system of cells interlinked
That's not even the "scary" bridge in the area. There are lots of people who are terrified to use the much bigger Bay Bridge. This is not going to help anybody with bridge-crossing anxieties anywhere in the world.
I have driven across that bridge, and I recall it was extremely long. Was surprised to see the entire thing come down. That will be a massive undertaking to rebuild, and I hope this time the engineering has progressed along enough to withstand a strike like this without the entire structure collapsing.

It was a horrible accident. The bridge could have been fully protected by the addition of concrete "dolphin structures", which were added around the piers to the Sunshine Skyway Bridge on Tampa Bay. See picture:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshine_Skyway_Bridge

I feel certain these will be added to the new bridge construction in Baltimore. It's nuts that they didn't already have those in place, given the amount of commercial barge traffic.

Yeah, I am fine, everybody I know is good. I did use that bridge occasionally, but only once or twice a month to get to band gigs.
Ever been to MDF there, then? I went back in 2022, and it was absolutely amazing.

I live 30 minutes give or take from the bridge and didn't even know this happened until I saw it on the news yesterday morning. Used to take that bridge all the time to get to certain parts of the city.

6 people presumed dead and I heard a while ago they've suspended the search for them. Very sad.

God knows what the visibility must be like down there. I would would really hate to be one of those divers. Chilling stuff.

This is from a diver that did recovery after the Skyway bridge went down.

https://www.wptv.com/news/state/retired-diver-pulled-victims-from-tampa-skyway-bridge-collapse-44-years-ago

The Adventure Starts Here!
Am I correct in what I’m reading that this particular ship hit a bridge before this one? Somewhere overseas.
Yeah, I heard that as well! Same barge! Ummm... if it was already a little wonky, why was it still in operation? And if it had been inspected after that first run-in, whoever inspected it needs a stern talking-to.