Finding the Perfect Seat

Tools    

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
My biggest concern when choosing a seat is finding one where I'm unlikely to be have to endure people talking near me. I don't mind sitting near others, but the closer I am to groups of people, the more likely one of them will end up chattering. And then I either have to endure it, or tell them to be quiet; both unwelcome distractions.

I've also found that it's worse having people talk behind you than in front of you, so I try to sit towards the back if I expect the place to be fairly full.

As for left/right...I prefer the center but usually end up on the sides, as the center is pretty populated most of the time. I prefer sitting on the right, because for whatever reason I find it more comfortable to look to my left. Don't ask me why.
I agree people talking in movies is something I can't stand. I do also find it worse behind me than in front.

I really don't like people sitting behind me... so back row... by the wall...
Which makes it incredibly hard to stalk you and smell your hair while your watching the movie. Your so inconsiderate not everyone can date you Caitlyn. Humpth...

I dont really have a seat I shoot for. Im generally alone and I dont like to be sitting with someone next to me (unless I know them). So I'll take centre row, centre spot if available but I have no problems with being off to a side just not right up the front row.

Wuv you Caity

When I go to the movie theatre, I like to sit in the middle of the theatre, but closer to the back. However, when I go to a movie theatre that has a balcony ( there are only two balconied movie theatres left in our area), I love to sit in the front row of the balcony, where one can sort of look down at the film, and there are no heads in front me to look at, especially when I go to see a screening of my alltime favorite film, West Side Story.

Many of the newer multiplex cinemas also have stadium-type seating, which is great, because one ends up looking directly at the movie screen, rather than the backs of people's heads. This I also like, and I also prefer to sit relatively high up, in the middle of the theatre, more towards the back.

I'm not a big fan of the movies, they're soooo expensive these days. I prefer sitting at home in my comfy couch, reading a good book. I just finished The 10th Circle by Jody Picoult and I absolutely loved it.

If it's in line with the projector, I'm happy.

I know I weigh more than anyone here, and I've never broken a seat. I do prefer the newer stadium seats though, with the lift-up arms because sometimes the old seats are less than comfortable.
Not long ago, both the Brattle and the Coolidge Theatres underwent some pretty extensive renovations, including the removal of the old, hard, uncomfortable seats, particularly at the Brattle, and replaced them with more comfortable ergonomic seats. Better for the body overall, imo.

I usually try to sit top row center. If thats taken then i sit around midway up by the barricade so i can put my feet up

I usually try to sit top row center. If thats taken then i sit around midway up by the barricade so i can put my feet up
That, too is an excellent choice, Cygrus X. I go with that also.

Movie Forums Member
I'm not a big fan of the movies, they're soooo expensive these days. I prefer sitting at home in my comfy couch, reading a good book. I just finished The 10th Circle by Jody Picoult and I absolutely loved it.
I really like Jodi Picoult too.. I heard they are making the 10th circle into a movie.

RightUpTheLittleTramps@ss !
I don't like to be nosy but what is the tenth circle about?

Martian leader

Arnie Cunningham- Right up the little tramps @ss!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tenth_Circle

I heard the movie will be on Lifetime, I wish I had more details, but I'm waiting myself to find out.

Most of the theatres that I go to now are in the stadium seating venue which for me being rather short helps me out a lot. I tend to however sit in the center section of the theatre usually closer to the back and almost always attempt to get an end seat. I like the end seat because if for some God forsaken reason I have to pee during some of those marathon 3 and a half hour movies I don't really have to disturb anyone.

Any aisle seat will do.
It's one arm rest I don't have to contest.

Right side. Halfway down. On the aisle. Unless there is someone directly in the row in front of me or behind me. Then I'll move up or down a couple of rows.

Loner
i like to sit right in the middle of the cinema too. but i dont mind sitting somewhere else to avoid groups of people or couples who will more than likley talk through the whole film. i cant stand people talking through a film.

Depends on all sorts of factors, like... How big is the theatre? How big is the screen? What's the sound system like? Is there stadium seating? Am I by myself, with one other person or in a group of three or more? How crowded is it likely to be for this show? Does it have aisles down the sides or in the center? Am I eating popcorn that day or going sans food & drink? Is this my first time seeing the particular movie or is this a repeat viewing? Are there subtitles? Are special glasses required? Am I flying First Class or Coach? Am I crammed in a trunk to avoid the per-person fee?

Many factors go into my choosing which seat I take. I have no one place I usually sit, I move around a lot from movie to movie. Depending.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

For no particular reason, I usually find myself on the right side of any theater. I like to sit somewhere near the middle of the room. An aisle seat, if available. And I'm not a huge fan of the first two or three rows, but I can comfortably watch a movie pretty much anywhere else in the house.
Long ago in my teens when I was the indoor ticket-taker/usher/janitor at a one-screen theater that small towns had back then, I used to watch theater-goers as they went up the entry aisle to the back wall of the screening room at which point they had to turn either right or left to go to their seats. I observed at that time that most people turn to the right. Because most people are right-handed. That's especially true if they have to open a door to enter the theater. Turn right and your right hand is already reaching for the door handle. Turn left and you have to extend your right hand so that opening the door is more awkward.

Therefore, there are usually fewer people on the left side of the theater which provides a better choice of seats. Because theaters are so small now, I like seats at the end of the aisle so I can stretch out my legs. Back before the multi-screen theaters, the the floor of the screening room sloped downward from the back to the front. Little kids generally sat down front away from their parents and tended to talk and throw popcorn boxes. Teens sat in the middle, and adults sat toward the back. Today it's all changed around--you usually enter the screening room of a multi-plex down near the front and have to climb stairs to get further from the screen. Now the older you are and the more your knees ache, the closer you sit to the front. If I can get a seat on that cross-walk row where there are no seats immediately in front of you so you don't have to crawl over people to reach your seat or have them crawl over you, then I'm a happy viewer.

Truth to tell, though, my very favorite movie "seat" ever was 50 years ago in the backseat of my old Ford on the last row of a drive-in where no one was likely to walk up unexpectedly on you and your girlfriend. Now my favorite movie seat is a lounger in the living room or the bed in the bedroom where you can stretch out, pause the film if you have to go to the kitchen or toilet, and doze off if the movie doesn't hold your intrest.

Most uncomfortable movie "seat" I ever experienced was the first time I saw The Wizard of Oz at a kiddie matinee. The theater manager way over-sold tickets to that showing, so that it was litterally standing room only when I got into the small-town theater. So they put me, my little brother, and at least 50 other kids upon the small stage at the foot of the screen that theaters used to have. We were so close that we practically had to lay on our backs to see the screen at all, and even then you see the whole screen at once. Had to view the movie a section at a time--look over here to see Dorothy, look over there to see who she was talking to. The loud sound just rumbled out of the speakers, and between that and the eye-strain, I had the damnest headache afterward. Never have cared too much about Oz since then.

Movie Forums Member
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tenth_Circle

I heard the movie will be on Lifetime, I wish I had more details, but I'm waiting myself to find out.

Just found this video, which is saying it's tomorrow at 9... It figures that my friends graduation party is tomorrow night, so I won't be able to see it, I'm sure I'll set up the DVR before I leave for it though... Hopefully it's as good as the book.

Long ago in my teens when I was the indoor ticket-taker/usher/janitor at a one-screen theater that small towns had back then, I used to watch theater-goers as they went up the entry aisle to the back wall of the screening room at which point they had to turn either right or left to go to their seats. I observed at that time that most people turn to the right. Because most people are right-handed. That's especially true if they have to open a door to enter the theater. Turn right and your right hand is already reaching for the door handle. Turn left and you have to extend your right hand so that opening the door is more awkward.

Therefore, there are usually fewer people on the left side of the theater which provides a better choice of seats. Because theaters are so small now, I like seats at the end of the aisle so I can stretch out my legs. Back before the multi-screen theaters, the the floor of the screening room sloped downward from the back to the front. Little kids generally sat down front away from their parents and tended to talk and throw popcorn boxes. Teens sat in the middle, and adults sat toward the back. Today it's all changed around--you usually enter the screening room of a multi-plex down near the front and have to climb stairs to get further from the screen. Now the older you are and the more your knees ache, the closer you sit to the front. If I can get a seat on that cross-walk row where there are no seats immediately in front of you so you don't have to crawl over people to reach your seat or have them crawl over you, then I'm a happy viewer.

Truth to tell, though, my very favorite movie "seat" ever was 50 years ago in the backseat of my old Ford on the last row of a drive-in where no one was likely to walk up unexpectedly on you and your girlfriend. Now my favorite movie seat is a lounger in the living room or the bed in the bedroom where you can stretch out, pause the film if you have to go to the kitchen or toilet, and doze off if the movie doesn't hold your intrest.

Most uncomfortable movie "seat" I ever experienced was the first time I saw The Wizard of Oz at a kiddie matinee. The theater manager way over-sold tickets to that showing, so that it was litterally standing room only when I got into the small-town theater. So they put me, my little brother, and at least 50 other kids upon the small stage at the foot of the screen that theaters used to have. We were so close that we practically had to lay on our backs to see the screen at all, and even then you see the whole screen at once. Had to view the movie a section at a time--look over here to see Dorothy, look over there to see who she was talking to. The loud sound just rumbled out of the speakers, and between that and the eye-strain, I had the damnest headache afterward. Never have cared too much about Oz since then.
Gee, rufnek..sorry that the Wizard of Oz was spoiled by your horrible seat and the nasty positions that you were forced to sit/lie down in which gave you a headache afterwards. Nowadays, they've eliminated the "rumble" seats from theatres, for a reason, I guess. There are advantages and disadvantages to the movie theatres that exist today, but I know that I can still enjoy going to the movies over sitting and always watching them at home, which is why I don't have a DVD player. Btw, West Side Story is going to be on TCM (Turner Classic Movies) Channel, on TV, on Sunday, July 20th. I plan on watching it, since it's my alltime favorite film, so, whether WSS comes to a repertory movie house on the great big, wide movie theatre screen with the lights down low and lots of other people to watch it along with one, or on TV, I watch it.

Depends on all sorts of factors, like... How big is the theatre? How big is the screen? What's the sound system like? Is there stadium seating? Am I by myself, with one other person or in a group of three or more? How crowded is it likely to be for this show? Does it have aisles down the sides or in the center? Am I eating popcorn that day or going sans food & drink? Is this my first time seeing the particular movie or is this a repeat viewing? Are there subtitles? Are special glasses required? Am I flying First Class or Coach? Am I crammed in a trunk to avoid the per-person fee?

Many factors go into my choosing which seat I take. I have no one place I usually sit, I move around a lot from movie to movie. Depending.
With all those options, do you ever find a seat?