Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Marriage Italian Style - 7.5/10
I saw this before, but it's my favorite director, and my favorite duo in film, and I remember it as being good and humorous.

Sudden Fear (1952)

Jack Palance's face in that image

Walkabout (1971)

Empowered my Nic Roeg fascination I'm glad to say that after reading reviews this languid film satisfied. Dramatic in places but whistful and also thoughtful. The culture clash is wonderfully done and brought into stark resonance with the films ending scene. Think I'll be watching again. Jenny Agutter was absolutely great as the prim but dependable big sis...don't think I've seen her act any better. The music is a bit clunky but suits the film if you get what I mean? 9/10.

The Last Waltz

Scorcese can do anything.
Watched this a month ago KeyserCorleone and it's brilliant. Personal favourite bit is Robbie Robertson asolutely hoodwinked when Van Morrison rushes off the stage James Brown style....but doesn't come back Same rating as you my friend.

A Place For Lovers

Extra interesting considering each considered the other the true love of their lives. Very scenic and poetic movie, a nice movie to imagine with. Not one of Vittorio De Sica's best, but it's definitely worth watching.
Interesting – I'd never heard about their relationship before.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
You killed me To be honest it's hard to look at the face of this guy by 90 minutes.
You dont think he looks like Jerry Lewis? A Kiwi film as it turns out.
I don't know Jerry Lewis too much, so it's hard to tell.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The Happy Prince (2018)

The last days of Oscar Wilde as portrayed by Rupert Everett. There's some phenomenal acting in this, everyone is great, especially Tom Wilkinson with a scene-stealing cameo as a priest. Narratively and directorially it was a little choppy and I wish it had flowed a bit better but there are some really excellent bits in it.

Shall We Dance? (1996)

We watched the original Japanese Shall We Dance (1996) last night. What a charming film! It took me awhile to get into the spirit of the Japanese state of mind-- the character traits that they likely admire.

I soon realized that it was part comedy, part drama, with dynamite performances all around, especially from the male lead Koji Yakusho and the pudgy Eriko Watanabe as a brassy but insecure dance instructor. Naoto Tanenaka almost stole the show with a riotous performance of an offbeat office worker who turns into a wild 'n crazy guy on the dance floor. Some of the film was Wes Anderson-esque.

The writer/director Masayuki Suo took his time developing the narrative and plot. The Japanese obviously admire subtlety both as a trait and also in their actors. Yakasho in particular could have done well in silent films, with his ability to express thought in facial expressions.

This was not really a dance film, but much of it does take place in a Tokyo dance studio. The dancing that was featured was interesting and believable. I haven't seen the American version made in 2004, but it's hard to imagine that it could be as absorbing and as satisfying as the Japanese original.

Doc's rating: 8/10
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	imageedit__3361340407.png
Views:	229
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	47600  

Darkest Hour (2017)

''Those who never change their mind, never change anything.''

Bed and Board (Francois Truffaut, 1970)

As charming as ever. Just not quite as interesting as its predecessor.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Family Diary -

The younger brother had no depth to his character, and he was an awful actor anyway. The movie is saved by Marcello Mastroianni, even though it's just not very good, but then again, I kept watching.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
47 metres down (2017)

Very mild and predictable type of Shark horror with questionable Shark physics and CGI. It’s a time passer with forgettable yet not obnoxious characters. Slightly more serious than the most recent The Shallows but with less personality.

2.5/5 but an not a repulsive 2.5, simply not very good but watchable if only to unwind and distract.

Cgi today is it improving, I guess it’s all about the budget because sometimes you can’t tell the difference from something 5 plus years ago.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The Sound of Music (1965)

Somehow I don't think I properly appreciated just how good this film is the first however many times I watched it.

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…

Upgrade (2018)

Operator Error