2015 Box Office Challenge Round II

Tools    

I'm planning on updating everything tonight, including finishing last round. Yesterday was a travel day so didn't get around to it.

Week 6:

$191,271,000

Hey, it turns out Marvel movies do pretty well. This should continue for a bit. I am going to hold off on doing a leader board a couple more weeks. Sorry about that but closing out the other one made me not want to get out the calculator for a minute.

The challenge for round I is closed so check out the leader board and congratulate our winner Gbgoodies.

Master of My Domain
Wow just noticed, Child 44 bombed big time- poor GS.

Wow just noticed, Child 44 bombed big time- poor GS.
I can pick 'em. I think with the exception of trying Interstellar, which was a calculated gamble, all my bombs have hit their target. If only I could pick the ones that make the money as well.

I didn't think Child 44 would do well, but I wasn't sure that its budget was high enough to hurt it. At most it's only going to be $100m. That's one of the reasons Mad Max was so tempting.

Week 7:

$77,203,000

This has been a boring round to report on thus far. Just watching Furious 7 and Avengers racking up some serious cash. Box office is updated in the second post.

Week 8:

$70,300,000

You didn't pick our movie for the box office challenge? Eat our $100 million you sorry son of a pitch. See what I did there? Someone should have used that for marketing. Anyhow, Godoggo was the only one of us to believe in the Pitch Perfect franchise and she isn't here to gloat about it. She always wanted to win one of these and I think she may have the line-up to do it this round, that would both be awesome and a shame.

Box office results are updated in the second post. I think I have stumbled on an idea to make this challenge a little more interesting and fresh again for the next round. So watch out for that coming in the next couple of weeks.

That's an excellent opening. I think most of us probably thought about it, but without a budget and a summer release I wasn't confident to give it the spot I eventually gave to Insidious 3.

That's an excellent opening. I think most of us probably thought about it, but without a budget and a summer release I wasn't confident to give it the spot I eventually gave to Insidious 3.
Yeah, I considered it but ultimately decided on Ted 2. The first one did well, but didn't set the world on fire. 2 is already ahead of the first domestically.

Master of My Domain
Wow that's a surprise. Never saw it opening to $70 mil. On the other hand, things aren't looking very well for Mad Max: Fury Road.

Yeah, I considered it but ultimately decided on Ted 2. The first one did well, but didn't set the world on fire. 2 is already ahead of the first domestically.
It really hit it's stride on dvd, I think. I know a few people liked it, but then it hit the retail market and became a much bigger thing. Here at least.

I've just seen the budget for Tomorrowland. Man I wish I'd know it was going to be anywhere close to that ($190m). That's got bomb written all over it.

Master of My Domain
Brad Bird, George Clooney, entirely computer generated cities and Disney equals loads of cash needed. I was expecting a $150 mil+ budget from the start, it's the mean reason why I didn't pick it.

Absolutely. I didn't know it was Disney or CGI or anything. I just saw Clooney and Pitt and assumed it was one of those Clooney vanity projects that the studios let him do for signing up for the money projects. If I'd thought this had to make $300m to go in the black I'd have bombed someone with this.

Master of My Domain
Btw, it opened to a mere $40 mil (when counting Memorial's Day) in the US, meaning it has to extremely well overseas, which I don't see happening. I'm expecting a total final similar to Prince of Persia, around $350 mil.

Edit: Shouldn't Sean be the one who let's us know all this stuff? Where are ya buddy?