Movie You're Watching Tonight

Tools    

Caveat (2020)

A very effective and original film. But I do think the premise is a bit far-fetched (that someone would stay under the circumstances).
WARNING: spoilers below
I think anyone would be out the door the moment a leash is mentioned, unless he retains some memory of having been there before on a subconscious level and that makes him a tad less distrustful - which is not the impression I get.
Also reminds me of the wind-up monkey in The Phantom of the Opera. Scared the **** out of me at some point.
Memorable great stuff, overall.
Damian Mc Carthy is definitely on my radar now - and no, that’s not a typo - what a spelling.

Have seen this before, but the memory is vague enough to warrant another watch.
Not a huge fan of old horror (Psycho, which I interpret as such, is one notable exception), largely as I feel it fails at the basic job of disturbing, but it’s still quite enjoyable as entertainment.
Interesting just how meta this film is - at the time when the meta era was less than 10 years into its existence.

I was disappointed. Kristen Stewart was good at mimicking Diana's poses, but not much else. The focus of the movie seemed much too short for a story that went on with so much publicity for a bunch of years, hardly scratched the surface of the celebrity adoration and didn't get close to dealing with just how dysfunctional the family was/is. If you didn't know what had happened, you'd think the "before times" was short. If you didn't already know what followed, you wouldn't even know how the real story ended. All you'd know is that she was unhappy in her royal role.
Diana I would posit was chiefly unhappy because her husband was unfaithful. Her marriage was “rather crowded” to quote her directly. She did feel very pressured by the rôle she was playing, but what made the situation much worse was her lack of support from Charles who loved another woman. She had to have felt so very lonely.

I don’t disagree. It’s no Coppola, but I do think on a surface level it portrays her anxiety well. A particular anxiety to do with marrying into anything that considers itself bigger than you. Anyway, I took it to be a kind of psychodrama about marriage and felt that the fact it doesn’t end with/reference her death is rather refreshing. What particularly stands out is Charles’ quote about bees working hard to bring her breakfast (the real thing, apparently). But no, I’m not planning to rewatch it.
Diana was a perfectly happy young woman until she married a man who would not & could not be faithful to her. She was so besotted with Charles & to find out that his ex Camilla was still very much a part of his life devastated her. As it would any woman. Everything would have been fine for this royal couple if Charles hadn’t betrayed her.

BTW, she clearly said in some of the honeymoon footage in Scotland that she never ate breakfast.

Have seen this before, but the memory is vague enough to warrant another watch.
No amount of money would make me watch a Vincent Price movie.

Diana I would posit was chiefly unhappy because her husband was unfaithful. Her marriage was “rather crowded” to quote her directly. She did feel very pressured by the rôle she was playing, but what made the situation much worse was her lack of support from Charles who loved another woman. She had to have felt so very lonely.
Indeed. And in this regard I think the film does quite a good job.

D Diana was a perfectly happy young woman until she married a man who would not & could not be faithful to her. She was so besotted with Charles & to find out that his ex Camilla was still very much a part of his life devastated her. As it would any woman. Everything would have been fine for this royal couple if Charles hadn’t betrayed her.

BTW, she clearly said in some of the honeymoon footage in Scotland that she never ate breakfast.
Fascinating. Makes it even worse, that. How bizarre. Wonder if that was before or after - will try to check.

No amount of money would make me watch a Vincent Price movie.
Yeah, I didn’t like it really. But a classic, I suppose.

I have finished Price, but it was a bit of an upward struggle. Seems so corny and reactions so over-the-top and absurd. Whatever may be said of attitudes changing, I feel like it’s just immensely overacted.

Meh. A largely unsuccessful homage to the Price era, ironically. Well, almost.

[quote=Stirchley;2252295]Diana I would posit was chiefly unhappy because her husband was unfaithful. Her marriage was “rather crowded” to quote her directly. She did feel very pressured by the rôle she was playing, but what made the situation much worse was her lack of support from Charles who loved another woman. She had to have felt so very lonely.

Diana was a perfectly happy young woman until she married a man who would not & could not be faithful to her. She was so besotted with Charles & to find out that his ex Camilla was still very much a part of his life devastated her. As it would any woman. Everything would have been fine for this royal couple if Charles hadn’t betrayed her.

>>There's plenty written about how Diana played the infidelity game too, so she's not just the wounded innocent. What I do think is and was clear was that, being privileged, protected and naive, she would have deserved at least as much preparation for the royal life as we'd give someone else in a different stressful job. Being Charles's wife in the royal family was as much of a job as being a cop or a bricklayer, except that she got no training. It was all rose pedals, nice clothes and photographers. Whoever cheated on who first, under the withering gaze of the queen and the press, it's not surprising that she couldn't cope and bailed out. I don't think I could have lasted that long, but I'd hope to avoid the fatal car crash.

So much of that was missing in the movie that I felt cheated. Too many photogenic or enigmatic poses, not enough plot.

There's plenty written about how Diana played the infidelity game too, so she's not just the wounded innocent.
I don’t see infidelity as a “game”, but, whatever. And I didn’t describe her as the “wounded innocent”. No question she was unfaithful to Charles during the decline of her marriage. Specifically, with James Hewitt. When one is not loved one goes elsewhere in some cases.

Diana was Lady Diana Spencer, but I hardly see that as preparation for royal life. Working as a nanny does not prepare one for being a future Queen of England.

Comparing Diana to a “bricklayer” is a stretch to put it mildly.

What I do think is and was clear was that, being privileged, protected and naive, she would have deserved at least as much preparation for the royal life as we'd give someone else in a different stressful job. Being Charles's wife in the royal family was as much of a job as being a cop or a bricklayer, except that she got no training. It was all rose pedals, nice clothes and photographers. Whoever cheated on who first, under the withering gaze of the queen and the press, it's not surprising that she couldn't cope and bailed out. I don't think I could have lasted that long, but I'd hope to avoid the fatal car crash.

So much of that was missing in the movie that I felt cheated. Too many photogenic or enigmatic poses, not enough plot.
Interesting comment since, in the long paragraph above, you’ve written the plot yourself.

Vampires, I take it, but I’ll give it a try.

Are vampire movies looked down on or have a reputation of being bad? I havnt seen a ton of them. i was talking to a friend who said he stays away from them.

Are vampire movies looked down on or have a reputation of being bad? I havnt seen a ton of them. i was talking to a friend who said he stays away from them.
There are many bad ones (but then, the majority of films are bad I guess). My issue with vampire films in general is the sense that there are “rules”; that they have to be done a certain way. Innovative ones like A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night or Only Lovers Left Alive fare much better, in my opinion.