Movie Tab II

Tools    

Little floppy, hoppy, bunnies!
The last movie I watched was Chinatown. This movie really blew me away.....never seen Jack look sooooo good. I was sucked in as soon as it started to play. The ending was bad ass loved it! Need to watch again and take in things missed tho.

The Ruins-
So f****n' stupid do not watch!Stay away
WARNING: "The Ruins pointless" spoilers below
The Plants were Talking WTF?!

A system of cells interlinked
Sounds like some heavy handed Eco-message...

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Dodgeball: A True Underdog's Story
You may wonder why I am writing a movie tab ditty, instead of a real review in my thread (go there, leave me rep, ,) well, that is because I'm not sure how to expand my thoughts other than "it's funny." Peter La Fleur (played by a perfectly cast Vince Vaughn) does seem like an "average Joe" and White Goodman (played by a perfectly cast Ben Stiller) is so freaking weird, but so freaking hilarious. The rest of the actors are also perfectly cast and everyone is highly beliveable. Sure the story is predictable and it is crude and rude, but you tell me that the bits of Gary Cole's Cotton McKnight and Jason Bateman's Pepper Brooks aren't hilarious.

This post has been ADAA approved

The Dead Pool (1988)

I don't know why I rate this one a little higher than the last few, I may be retarded or maybe I just like this one a little bit more than the last couple. Its all good... they are Dirty Harry movies so how can you lose?

Caddyshack (1980)

In short I'm a comedy snob, I've seen a very small handful of "funny" movies in the last 20 years. Movies like Caddyshack did it right the first time and I haven't found it necessary to seek out too many more since. I know they are out there and thanks to many a MoFo I have a few on tap that I will get to eventually but I doubt they will be as good as this one.

"Last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it."

"Oh, this your wife, huh? A lovely lady. Hey baby, you must've been something before electricity."

"You're a lot of woman, you know that? Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?"

"I hear this place is restricted, Wang, so don't tell 'em you're Jewish, okay?"

"How about a Fresca?"

"I'll slack you off, you fuzzy little foreigner."

See that? Comedy gold.

The Cannonball Run (1981)

I know this is terrible but I sure do enjoy it.

Batman (1989)

I haven't seen this in several years and it held up pretty good. From what I've seen the new one looks pretty spectacular but this version is quite good in a lot of ways as well. Jack Nicholson is the man. I can't believe the damn thing is almost twenty years old already.

I am half agony, half hope.
Separate Tables (1958)

This was a play made into a very good film starring David Niven, Rita Hayworth, Deborah Kerr, Burt Lancaster, and Gladys Cooper. In a hotel in England, we learn the stories of the long term residents and guests. The theme here is loneliness. Some are trying to reach out to others, while others are happy being alone. Each story told was well acted and at least minimally introduced.
Major Pollack (Niven) is a talker, launching into anecdotes about his military exploits at every conceivable opportunity, and we later find out that he's not all he seems to portray himself as. Sybil Railton-Bell (Kerr) is a mousy and oppressed daughter of the imperious Mrs. Railton-Bell, a haughty woman, played wonderfully by Gladys Cooper.
The Major and Sybil have developed a friendship which her mother doesn't care for. We wonder if Sybil will ever be strong enough to make a decision for herself that goes against her mother's will. I felt Sybil's and Major Pollack's loneliness and I was rooting for them to make a connection.

Burt Lancaster plays John Malcolm, a man living in the hotel for the last four years to escape from his old life, himself, and the attempted murder of his now ex-wife Ann Shankland (Rita Hayworth). Ann is a former model that collects husbands like dime-store trinkets and treats them just as disposably. She hasn't loved any of them, except John of course. Lots of great dialogue in this story, and it broaches the subject of sex and dysfunctional relationships. I felt Malcolm's longing, and Ann's desperation.

Wendy Hiller plays Pat Cooper, the hotel owner, and the critics loved her in her minor role, perhaps because her story is about unrequited love. But although I felt she gave a strong performance, I didn't feel that she was the gem of the movie. That goes to David Niven, who is so fantastic in his role.
I was disappointed that the other characters weren't fleshed out more, but it would have made an overly long movie, and it probably wouldn't have made it any better. Even though minor characters, they were played well, and added to the overall fabric of the film.

If you haven't seen this movie yet, I suggest you view it.

Johann von Goethe

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Once again, I've been watching lots of flix, but I doubt that many are of that much interest. I will write a "few more legitimate" reviews of at least one I mention below.

Defending Your Life (Albert Brooks, 1991)
- I could be slightly overrating this because it may be Brooks' biggest attempt to snag a big audience, but it still didn't work commercially, even with Meryl Streep.

The Garden of Allah (Richard Boleslawski, 1936)
- David O. Selznick's production is an exotic masterpiece of early Technicolor photogaphy, and Marlene Dietrich looks gorgeous, but the plot and characters, especially the one played by co-lead Charles Boyer, are all ridiculous, so the main reasons to watch it are listed above.

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Norman Taurog, 1938)
- Another early Selznick color production, leading up to his masterpiece Gone With the Wind the next year, may well deserve a higher rating, but I guess I'm feeling Scroogean today. I do recommend this as the best filmed version of a great novel.

They Live (John Carpenter, 1988)
- Carpenter bounces back from the almost laughable Prince of Darkness with a fun, exciting, humorous B-movie here. Once again, I recommend it, but it could have been much better-developed. You could probably never top that fight in the alley over sunglasses though.

Mystery Men (Kinka Usher, 1999)
- On the other hand, I must have been in a good mood when I watched this Superhero spoof. It's loud and silly, but it does have some laugh-out-loud scenes mixed in with the gibberish. Maybe I thought it was camp, but I truly believe that most of the "humor" is intentional.

Slaughterhouse-Five (George Roy Hill, 1972)
- Kurt Vonnegut's acclaimed novel is presented by a great director, but the results, while interesting, fall far short of the director's adaptation of John Irving's The World According to Garp, even if Valerie Perrine is luscious and adorable in her first legit role.

Legal Eagles (Ivan Reitman, 1986)
- OK, I musta been waxing nostalgic watching this one. Most of the characters act idiotic, but there are enough human characteristics and a decent mystery and romance to keep me (if not you) watching. The last 20 minutes go off the deep end, plotwise, but as a "popcorn" flick, it's still decent, at least if you're an old fart.

SNEAK PREVIEW of a longer review: Margot at the Wedding (Noah Baumbach, 2007)
- I don't believe this is as good as Baumbach's last, The Squid and the Whale, but I recall giving that one originally
before I moved it up to a
. This one really may get to you if you have had similar experiences with your family down through the years, but whatever rating I give it, it's a .

Welcome to the human race...

Hancock -

Extremely funny during the first half of the movie, but it all goes downhill when the big twist is revealed.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Let me start with a few which don't need big write-ups and then move on to others which deserve a bit more discussion. Trust me; it's just a coincidence I give the first few the same rating.

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (Adam McKay, 2006)
- I'll be the first to admit that this film has several laughs, but this is also one of those films which lessens the laughs by being overlong and repetitious. For example, Gary Cole is refreshingly un-PC as Ricky's dad, but he would have been even better if he didn't keep doing and saying so many disgusting things. He should have probably had half as many scenes. In fact, just because there are jokes and idiot characters doesn't mean you have to trot out every single thing you can think of. Try to show the best for the characters, the story and the movie, and leave the others on the cutting room floor. That's what the "Deleted Scenes" section of the DVD is for.

The Guilt of Janet Ames (Henry Levin, 1947)
- This film isn't exactly entertaining, but it's something akin to a film noir crossed with a variety show. It's a totally unrealistic, yet creepy and bizarre psychological "thriller" about how Rosalind Russell becomes psychosomatically paralyzed, and reporter Melvyn Douglas tries to "cure" her.

Solomon and Sheba (King Vidor, 1959)
- This film has an interesting back story. Tyrone Power began filming the role of Solomon, but died halfway through while filming a swordfight. Yul Brynner replaced him. Much of this film is silly and almost campy, but other sections are quite sincere and there are a few moments of sexiness and action which help to make it almost watchable. I probably have a softer spot for it than most because I probably saw it on TV about five times before I was 12.

Dark Purpose (George Marshall/Vittorio Sala, 1964)
- Set in Naples, this is a romantic thriller which begins a bit slowly, but then the Gothic nature of the plot kicks in and most of the best scenes are saved for the last half. Basically, Shirley Jones comes with her boss, art appraiser George Sanders, to a huge estate, filled with art, owned by Rosanno Brazzi. Brazzi has a sick daughter (Giorgia Moll) who eventually becomes more important in the plot. Although Shirley falls in love with Rosanno, she cannot help but think there's something strange involving him and his daughter. Also, remember that he has a killer dog on the premises!

Good Times (William Friedkin, 1967)

This film is actually much better than its reputation. Much of it is silly and empty, but other parts are quite meaningful, and in the case of the Mickey Spillane spoof near the ending, pretty funny. Sonny and Cher are approached to make a movie. Sonny likes the idea, but Cher knows it won't turn out the way they'd want it. Sonny visits eccentric billionaire producer George Sanders and agrees to a contract, but when he hears the story idea, he says it's impossible for the married singing duo to make that film. Sanders explains that shooting will commence in 10 days, so that's how long Sonny has to come up with an alternative script.

I'll be the first to admit that the spoofs of westerns (High Noon specifically) and jungle flicks are a bit unfunny, yet they at least have some good ideas and Friedkin (The French Connection, The Exorcist), in his feature debut, already shows adeptness at shooting and editing scenes. Most of the best parts in the film are all in the last half hour, so try to stick with it if you invest the time to start watching. There is a legit message in this film which may have been more counterculture in the '60s, but remember now, Sonny Bono was elected to the U.S. Congress as a Republican, not to mention that he eventually became a Scientologist (!!).

P.S. Keeping with my idea that the film's final third is easily the best, the two best songs are sung in the final 10 minutes.

The Visit (Bernhard Wicki, 1964)

This is the kind of film I would love to see made more often. Millionaire Ingrid Bergman returns to her hometown amidst pomp and circumstance, even though most of the longtime residents ran her out of town twenty years earlier as a whore. Back then, she had a baby and claimed a certain Anthony Quinn was the father. Quinn made sure her character was impugned as a tramp by having other young men testify falsely that she slept with them. After giving birth, her baby was taken away (only to die within months) and she was forced to leave town. Meanwhile, Quinn married a rich woman and has become a prominent businessman in the community.

At the great dinner thrown in honor of her successful return to the town, Bergman announces that she will pay the town treasury "a million" and the citizenship of the town another "million", divided equally amongst themselves, if they agree to kill the Quinn character. The subsequent scenes speak loudly about human nature. I suppose the film could be seen as allegorical, but it works just as well as if you take it literally. Plenty of things happen, and I doubt you could predict all the twists and turns.

In Bruges (Martin McDonagh, 2008)

I watched this wonderful film tonight, and my first impression is a HIGH
. I'm going to wait to write it up after I watch it again. I will say that it's very impressive in almost every single regard. I laughed a lot and was very happy to find extreme depth to all the characters as well as a kind of internal logic which made me feel I could let a few "implausiblities" slide. I highly recommend this one.

Recep Ivedik(Togan Gokbakar 2008)-
Extremely funny trough the whole movie even the ending was really good not like in all the western comedies(because its a Turkish movie)and it seems that Turkey provides sometimes good comedies.Another one is G.O.R.A. which was so hilarious

In the Beginning...
Proof of Life (Hackford, 2000)

Fun flick. Doesn't try to be overly important or preachy about human kidnapping in Central and South America. It stays with the characters; keeps a solid, logical pace; and pays its viewers off in the end. I can only really fault it for the kitschy, transparent romance between Russell Crowe and Meg Ryan, but meh... forgivable.

Bobby (Estevez, 2006)

Pretty excellent character ensemble piece framed around Robert Kennedy's tragic 1968 assassination at the Ambassador Hotel in California. It does become a little dreamy and patriotic about Bobby at times, with some loaded flashbacks and voiceovers of the man himself. But I think it's obvious the true strength of the film is the woven interaction of the myriad of characters, and how their ambitions, desires, self-centered mistakes, and pitfalls are both mirrored and eclipsed by Senator Kennedy's murder. At times, the dialogue is cliche, but mostly it's charming, believable, or just downright moving. (I was particularly stricken by the short but astoundingly good scene between Sharon Stone and Demi Moore.) All the players here - with the exception of maybe Elijah Wood and Ashton Kutcher - are good at what they do, and they show it; and the late 60's treatment on the film is wonderfully captured. My only real disappointment actually came after the fact, when I researched the event and learned that Estevez chose to depict fictional characters rather than the real ones. Perhaps there was some vacuum of information prohibiting him from writing a historically accurate script that was also deep enough in the character department, but still... something about re-creating such a tragic and immensely important, REAL event and populating it with people who never existed seems a little weird. Oh well.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke

I watched this wonderful film tonight, and my first impression is a HIGH
. I'm going to wait to write it up after I watch it again. I will say that it's very impressive in almost every single regard. I laughed a lot and was very happy to find extreme depth to all the characters as well as a kind of internal logic which made me feel I could let a few "implausiblities" slide. I highly recommend this one.
i saw this in the theater with my boyfriend and his friend last month, and i really loved it too. i'm going to have to see it again, i didn't realize it was already out!

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
the Great Gatsby
i recently read the book, so i thought i'd give the movie a go--big mistake. and i'm not just saying that because i'm such a fan of the book, either. it was horribly acted and horribly executed. a total disappointment.

Wall-E

i absolutely loved. it was totally perfect, and my favorite Pixar by far.

Y tu mamá también

me and my boy toy just finished this one up tonight. i loved it, it made me laugh and cry. the ending is totally heartbreaking.

its also hot as hell.

Hancock(Peter Berg 2008)-it wasn't that bad the Idea was interesting I mean an alcoholic bum superhero and Will smith did a good job with the role.The thing that bugged me was that the movie was too short and If you seen the trailer believe me you have seen the movie

The Happening(M.Night Shyamalan 2008)-well it had its tension in moments but all in all it wasn't impressive and again made me remember about
WARNING: "Don't click if you havent seen the movie" spoilers below
the Ruins that I watched recently which was about plants that kill people and here is the same

Hancock - Although I dont share Chris's view on the film and Id give it a SLIGHTLY higher rating. I still enjoyed it.

Get Smart - Awesome, just awesome, highly entertaining and I agree with Yod's completely!