Anna Lindh R.I.P. - The Murder of a Politician is a Murder of the People

Tools    

I am having a nervous breakdance
The swedish Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mrs Anna Lindh, was attacked and stabbed yesterday afternoon when she was out shopping. She was without bodyguards. Despite intense and competent surgery since late wednesday afternoon and all through the entire night, her life could not be saved. Anna Lindh died 5:29 am today thursday morning, swedish time. She was 46 years old.

Anna Lindh was a socialdemocrat and very popular among her own party colleagues as well as among her opponents. She was a colorful individual in the european political sphere and always made an impression on all the people she met all over the world. She was the unquestionable candidate, and the only candidate really, for the job as the next Prime Minister of Sweden when our current one, Göran Persson, steps back.

Anna Lindh was known for her openess with reporters and ordinary people but insisted at the same time in keeping her private life and her family life as normal as possible. She said "no thanks" to late night cocktail parties with ambassadors because she wanted to be with her family. It wasn't unusal that she referred to her kids in her speeches. She wanted space in her private life and was often seen doing personal errands without bodyguards. This made her public life a little more private, but it was als the reason to why someone was in the end able to get to her and murder her.

I admired Anna Lindh a lot and I looked forward to having her as our next Prime Minister. She would have made us proud and would have been an amazing ambassador for our country, just as she was as Minister of Foreign Affairs. It just makes me sick that someone not only assault the swedish people by attacking and killing one of our most important representatives, but also that someone finds in themselves being able to kill this brilliant and beautiful woman - a mother and a wife. It just makes me want to cry....

Why?

Anna Lindh (1957 - 2003) R.I.P.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

I had so hoped last night she would pull through this… my deepest sympathy to you, her family, and the Swedish people for this senseless loss…

Ayiwa Nvwadohiyada Gohiyuhi Saquui...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Put me in your pocket...
She sounds like she was a remarkable woman. My heart goes out to your country, her family and...especially her kids. What an terrible tragedy, on so many different levels.

Have they caught whoever did this?

Thank you for your sympathy... It is a hard time right now.

No, unfortunately they haven't caught the man who did it yet.

Media over here is speculating she was murdered because she was pushing for Sweden's entry into the Euro agreement.

Somehow, Sweden sounds too civilized for that.

It can be also that I misheard and that she was murdered by an Euro fan because she wanted the original currency to stay. But it was some of that two.

When i heard about her on the news I felt very sorry for her family.

Thanks Pizz for telling us about her as person, she sounds a great loss to Sweden.

My life isn't written very well.
Sorry Piddy. So sorry. Pretty soon there will be no truly good people left in the world. Perhaps she will be remembered by those who loved her by their dedication to her cause.

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

That's very sad and disturbing news.......... I hope they find the person or people responsible for this senseless crime.........

"I'm your hell, I'm your dream.......I'm nothing in between.......You know you wouldn't want it any other way".........

"Listen, when I slap you, you'll take it and like it"..........Humphrey Bogart..........Maltese Falcon.......

Graze on my lips and if those hills be dry, stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie...........William Shakespeare.......

*bump*

Just read they apprehended a fellow Serbian as the key suspect. Oh joy, can't we ever stop padding our great reputation ?

Originally Posted by Mairosu
*bump*

Just read they apprehended a fellow Serbian as the key suspect. Oh joy, can't we ever stop padding our great reputation ?
I am sure that the fact that the guy has serbian background wont influence swedish people's view on serbs in general. Most swedes, me included, probably don't even know whether he's serbian, kroatian or any other ex-yugoslavian nationality. I hope I am not sounding ignorant but it's hard for me to tell the difference only by seeing the name.

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
I am sure that the fact that the guy has serbian background wont influence swedish people's view on serbs in general. Most swedes, me included, probably don't even know whether he's serbian, kroatian or any other ex-yugoslavian nationality. I hope I am not sounding ignorant but it's hard for me to tell the difference only by seeing the name.
Eh, not really ignorance, I can understand you perfectly. Only people who are really familiar with the region can differ nationalities via personal names, otherwise they look damned similar.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Sorry i missed this thread Piddz. She seems like she was a great person. There were lots of heartfelt commiserations over here from people like Robin Cook and others who'd worked with her. I read that the guy was a "nationalist" (who didn't want to be part of the Euro etc or something?)
Sad days when a progressive politician gets struck down coz of their open-door policies. Let's hope others are inspired to take up and continue her positive approaches.