The Best (and Worst) Summer Movies of 2005

Tools    

Maybe jrs meant League of Gentlemen, which was the film made using some of the characters from the BBC tv programme. I don't know I'm just trying to make sense of it because you're right, League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen was last year... And God was that a bad film.

Good
Charlie and the Chocolate factory
Longest Yard
Cinderella Man

Bad
Kingdom of Heaven
War of the Worlds
We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, laughers, screamers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case ofbeer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon.

Originally Posted by _fearandloathing_
Good

Longest Yard

Bad

War of the Worlds
I will devour your first born because of this.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
I will devour your first born because of this.
I was going to say something like that...only less harsh

OK, I think my list is complete and updated. Finished my Summer viewing off with The Aristocrats. Don't think I'll see another flick before Monday and the end of "summer".

Bring on those great Fall releases!
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The Girl from Monday
Adventures of Sharkboy & Lavagirl in 3-D
Kingdom of Heaven
Mr. and Mrs. Smith
Batman Begins
Howl's Moving Castle
Star Wars III
Devil's Rejects
Wedding Crashers
Fantastic Four
Land of the Dead
War of the Worlds

in something like that order.

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by A0C8C
Star Wars Episode III: Th Revenge of the Sith made me want to cry. Lucas completely ruined Star Wars. Enough said.

Madagascar is near the top of my favorite movies. I've always loved thes type of movies. CG movies are almost always hilarious, and this one fits up near Finding Nemo and Ice Age.

Batman Begins was a decent movie, but not as good as it should've been. Hell, they burned Wayne manor, which is complete bulls**t.

War of the Worlds was a decent movie as well. If you look past the action and suspense, you can see a deep father daughter relationship which is inspring. Glad they had more than just action in the movie.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was quite good. The oompa Loompas were atrocious(exceptionally bad) and the dlash backs of Wonka's childhood were uneeded.
Re: War of the Worlds... What film did you see? The father had a TERRIBLE relationship with his kids...did you miss that? He was a bad father...hence all the controversy when it opened about how people were having trouble identifying with Cruise's character, the things he did etc. What scenes gave the impression he had a deep father/daughter relationship? I don't remember any.

Also, CG films are "almost always hilarious"?

Huh? When a film is made with CG, it's almost always funny? Just want to make sure I understand what you are saying, because it makes no sense. Why are computer graphics funny? I mean, the films you mention are somewhat funny, but that is because they are comedies, not because they are CG.

Lucas ruined Star Wars? I thoughtThe Phantom Menace ruin Star Wars? Hell, Sith saved the prequel trilogy by injecting some of that old SW fun back into the series. If any one film ruined Star Wars, it was Return of the Jedi, because that is when Lucas turned to the puppet side. It is still way better than Phantom Menace, though....

We can't stop here!
Originally Posted by Sedai
Re: War of the Worlds... What film did you see? The father had a TERRIBLE relationship with his kids...did you miss that? He was a bad father...hence all the controversy when it opened about how people were having trouble identifying with Cruise's character, the things he did etc. What scenes gave the impression he had a deep father/daughter relationship? I don't remember any.
Ues, in the beginning he had a horrible relationship with his kids. Did you not notive how that changed? It's completely obvious that it changes, and theres a huge bond that forms between cruise and the girl. Obviously you missed that father daughter relationship.

Also, CG films are "almost always hilarious"?

Huh? When a film is made with CG, it's almost always funny? Just want to make sure I understand what you are saying, because it makes no sense. Why are computer graphics funny? I mean, the films you mention are somewhat funny, but that is because they are comedies, not because they are CG.
How many CG movies aren't comedies? I know the Final Fantasy movie wasn't, but almost all are. You do know I'm talking about movies that are entirely CG, right? Toy Story, Ice Age, Shrek. Movies like that were theres no live action. And almost all are comedy movies. That's why I said that.

Lucas ruined Star Wars? I thoughtThe Phantom Menace ruin Star Wars? Hell, Sith saved the prequel trilogy by injecting some of that old SW fun back into the series. If any one film ruined Star Wars, it was Return of the Jedi, because that is when Lucas turned to the puppet side. It is still way better than Phantom Menace, though....
Yes he did. I know millions would disagree with me, but it's my opinion and it's never gonna change. Maybe if they had better acting I might not hate the new 3 as much, but that's not going to change.

Do you mean that Lucas ruined Star Wars with Sith? Or with all the prequels? If you mean Sith, then I think you're completely off base as, IMO, Sith is the best of the prequels by a mile. And as for the acting in Sith, I thought it was the best since Empire. Not that that's saying much.

Do you guys really think it's a coincidence that SITH is made from the exact same letters as *****? It ain't. Georgie Lucas is laughing at you schmucks. Laughing all the way to the bank.

If any one film ruined Star Wars, it was Return of the Jedi, because that is when Lucas turned to the puppet side. It is still way better than Phantom Menace, though....
That is kind of my theory too. Got a little too childish with that one and had years to think about that mistake too. Problem is...he didn't. Seems he smartened up a little with the childishness however there was still the problem with waaay to many cgi's in the last two.

Ues, in the beginning he had a horrible relationship with his kids. Did you not notive how that changed? It's completely obvious that it changes, and theres a huge bond that forms between cruise and the girl. Obviously you missed that father daughter relationship.
Because it wasn't there. There was a bit of cornball Spielberg happy ending at the end of the film, but "deep father/daughter relationship? Nope. Fanning was either freaking out, or sitting in stunned silence during the film. I guess we just have a different perception of a deep relationship.

How many CG movies aren't comedies? I know the Final Fantasy movie wasn't, but almost all are. You do know I'm talking about movies that are entirely CG, right? Toy Story, Ice Age, Shrek. Movies like that were theres no live action. And almost all are comedy movies. That's why I said that.
How many aren't comedies? There are plenty of CG films that aren't comedies, they just aren't made by Pixar/Disney. There are dozens of anime titles that are CG only. A little research will show you the light.

Yes he did. I know millions would disagree with me, but it's my opinion and it's never gonna change. Maybe if they had better acting I might not hate the new 3 as much, but that's not going to change.
Ah yes, maybe if it had stellar actors like Mark Hammil and Carrie Fisher...Oh wait, they weren't good either. Acting? Star Wars isn't about acting, never was. But alas, to each his own. Also, you seem to be the sort of debater that picks an idea he likes and stands by it, no matter what information is presented. Since you have already made up your mind, I won't bother arguing the point further.

Originally Posted by Escape
That is kind of my theory too. Got a little too childish with that one and had years to think about that mistake too. Problem is...he didn't. Seems he smartened up a little with the childishness however there was still the problem with waaay to many cgi's in the last two.
But, dude, CG? All CG movies are comedies, so how could there be CG in Star Wars?

Tsk tsk, before I get flamed, pretty much the entire Prequel Triliogy is CG, with actors superimposed over the graphics. So it's not ENTIRELY CG, it's about 99% CG.....

I'm not old, you're just 12.
My favourites:

Layer Cake
Star Wars Episode III: Th Revenge of the Sith
The Longest Yard
Batman Begins
War of the Worlds
Wedding Crashers
Fever Pitch
Sin City

I haven't gone to the movies much this summer.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

We can't stop here!
Because it wasn't there. There was a bit of cornball Spielberg happy ending at the end of the film, but "deep father/daughter relationship? Nope. Fanning was either freaking out, or sitting in stunned silence during the film. I guess we just have a different perception of a deep relationship.
Guess I saw it differently, everyone gets different messages from movies.

How many aren't comedies? There are plenty of CG films that aren't comedies, they just aren't made by Pixar/Disney. There are dozens of anime titles that are CG only. A little research will show you the light.
I know theres alot of Anime that are CG. I watch anime quite a bit, but most are drawn and not CG, but there is still alot of CG anime. I should've said mainstream CG movies. That makes a world of difference, and in most countries Anime isn't really mainstream unlike movies like Shrek. Most mainstream CG movies are comedies.

Ah yes, maybe if it had stellar actors like Mark Hammil and Carrie Fisher...Oh wait, they weren't good either. Acting? Star Wars isn't about acting, never was. But alas, to each his own. Also, you seem to be the sort of debater that picks an idea he likes and stands by it, no matter what information is presented. Since you have already made up your mind, I won't bother arguing the point further.
The acting in Ep1-3 were horrible, and got worse with Sith. I don't always stick to hyst one idea, but in this case, yes I do. SW is just one thing I can't change my mind about. Watch Padme's smile again when talking with Anakin. I've never seen such a fake, forced smile in a movie. My friend Nick, a game and anime nerd who loves SW, even said that ruined the movie.

Tsk tsk, before I get flamed, pretty much the entire Prequel Triliogy is CG, with actors superimposed over the graphics. So it's not ENTIRELY CG, it's about 99% CG.....
99 percent is a little low dont you think.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Do you guys really think it's a coincidence that SITH is made from the exact same letters as *****? It ain't. Georgie Lucas is laughing at you schmucks. Laughing all the way to the bank.

Guess I saw it differently, everyone gets different messages from movies.

I know theres alot of Anime that are CG. I watch anime quite a bit, but most are drawn and not CG, but there is still alot of CG anime. I should've said mainstream CG movies. That makes a world of difference, and in most countries Anime isn't really mainstream unlike movies like Shrek. Most mainstream CG movies are comedies.

The acting in Ep1-3 were horrible, and got worse with Sith. I don't always stick to hyst one idea, but in this case, yes I do. SW is just one thing I can't change my mind about. Watch Padme's smile again when talking with Anakin. I've never seen such a fake, forced smile in a movie. My friend Nick, a game and anime nerd who loves SW, even said that ruined the movie.
Did you know that Grand Moff Tarkin was wearing a pair of bunny slippers when they shot the destruction of Alderaan scene? Just a little tid-bit. Anyway, if one smile can ruin an entire two-hour plus film for you, that's too bad. Now, I want to make it clear that I do agree that the acting is bad, and I am not defending it, but I was able to bypass that with Episode III and enjoy the epic storyline, the emperor's performance, and starting to see the regressed technology emerge. I was able to capture that feeling I got in 77' when watching Star Wars. That made it worth it for me. Again, to each his own.

Episodes I and II I will agree with you wholeheartedly. Those films bite.... Still, I will stand firm in my belief that a poor sequel or prequel for that matter, can not diminish a previous film I love. The fact that the prequels exist jsut doesn't ruin the old movies. I hear this about the Matrix stuff as well, and it doesn't make any sense. Star Wars is still fun, exciting, corny, and engaging, no matter how much other Star Wrs material emerges. I will always enjoy watcing it.

We can't stop here!
Did you know that Grand Moff Tarkin was wearing a pair of bunny slippers when they shot the destruction of Alderaan scene? Just a little tid-bit. Anyway, if one smile can ruin an entire two-hour plus film for you, that's too bad. Now, I want to make it clear that I do agree that the acting is bad, and I am not defending it, but I was able to bypass that with Episode III and enjoy the epic storyline, the emperor's performance, and starting to see the regressed technology emerge. I was able to capture that feeling I got in 77' when watching Star Wars. That made it worth it for me. Again, to each his own.
The smile didn't ruin the movie, but the acting all togehter. The smile was just an example of the bad acting. O wasn't too impresed by any of it really, but that's just me. He overused Special Effects, had vad acting, the story was alright in my opinion, but yes, the emporor's performance was kinda cool, but didn't save the movie.

Episodes I and II I will agree with you wholeheartedly. Those films bite.... Still, I will stand firm in my belief that a poor sequel or prequel for that matter, can not diminish a previous film I love. The fact that the prequels exist jsut doesn't ruin the old movies. I hear this about the Matrix stuff as well, and it doesn't make any sense. Star Wars is still fun, exciting, corny, and engaging, no matter how much other Star Wrs material emerges. I will always enjoy watcing it.
I think you might have misunderstood me, 4-6 I love. I'll watch those over and over. It's just 1-3 I hated. I would've been happier if he never made the prequel trilogy. Pretty much the same with the Matrix, the first one was pretty cool but the second two killed it.