Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Lord High Filmquisitor
I swear that I will never understand the love for Temple of Doom on this site, which goes from bad to worse with every scene. The kid, although far from a necessary character, was at least endearing, while the woman was thoroughly obnoxious.

SohoDriver, could you point out a specific instance of when you felt the dialog or visuals from back to the future failed? I'm especially trying to figure out the visuals one, since there's nothing that comes to my mind in that regard.

Nebraska -

I just want to say Bruce Dern was ******* brilliant. I'm drawn to one particular scene where his character, Woody, visits his childhood home. As he walks reminiscently around the house, he displays an incredible sense of longing and nostalgia yet his emotions are hidden under a thick veil of indifference--if that even makes sense. I spent the whole film trying to understand the cantankerous, bibulous old fool, trying to understand his relationship with David, trying to understand his past, trying to understand his motives, all a seemingly impossible task, which is where the genius lies within Dern's performance.

Enough about Bruce Dern. Nebraska is one of those films that is wrought with emotion and sentiment but carefully weaves it into a uniquely entertaining and comedic story. At times the film is as poignant as it is funny.
I saw this at the cinema when it came out and i thought it was great. As you say, it's as poignant as it is funny, and I was pleasantly surprised by just how many laughs I had throughout. Bruce Dern I think gives my favourite performance of the year, and June Squibb is equally brilliant opposite him. I'm looking forward to seeing it again actually, as it was only that once that I saw it.

It's a beautiful work, but would have looked so much better in 35mm black and white photochemical film.
Did you hear about TV networks planning to distribute it in both black and white, and colour versions in order to give viewers 'more choice'?

Unregistered User
Did you hear about TV networks planning to distribute it in both black and white, and colour versions in order to give viewers 'more choice'?
I watched both versions on Sky TV. Needless to say b&w was much better.

The 50's!?!? Hitch in his prime and movies like 12 Angry Men!?
Well, I'm not much of a Hitch fan and "Hitch in his prime" rarely coincides with Hitch I like. That, and a handful of films doesn't make a great decade, IMO. 12 Angry Men is great and All About Eve is one of my favourites, but that doesn't make a great decade. I know lots of people disagree, but that's why they're wrong and I'm not.

Birdemic: Shock and Terror -
(Camp value:
)Highly recommended to the so-bad-it's-good crowd.
It really is great, isn't it? Watch the sequel. It's better, and knowingly parodies itself, but still great in the so bad it's good stakes.

I think a little of me dies each time I hear this kind of thing.

I swear that I will never understand the love for Temple of Doom on this site, which goes from bad to worse with every scene. The kid, although far from a necessary character, was at least endearing, while the woman was thoroughly obnoxious.

SohoDriver, could you point out a specific instance of when you felt the dialog or visuals from back to the future failed? I'm especially trying to figure out the visuals one, since there's nothing that comes to my mind in that regard.
Agreed on Temple of Doom. Kate Capshaw's performance is horrible, and her character is so annoying. I also found the film somewhat racist.

As for BTTF, the visuals never wowed me. There were no spectacular set pieces; even the climax just felt downright silly.

The dialogue was just too cheesy and obvious for my tastes. It was the kind of film that would tell a funny joke then proceed to ram it down your throat until they're absolutely sure you've got it. Some of it was mildly funny but I didn't find any hilarity. The acting, whilst clearly intended to be this way, was just too over the top in my opinion.

But anyway, I'm in the minority, and that's fine. Basically, I just didn't enjoy the movie, and it's about as simple as that.

Regarding worst decade btw, I agree with the notion that the 80s has the least quality, although I can't talk for the silent era. I can understand the point about the 50s, where there are many films that can only barely touch the surface of issues, topics and themes that are now shown in full detail in cinema. I always wonder what films we could've had back then if the censorship code had never existed. Oh well, that said, I still believe the 50s is superior to the 80s overall.

The Apartment (1960)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Through a Glass Darkly (1961)

The last in my recorded Bergman films. This involves a man, his daughter, son, and son-in-law who gather together on the family's island after the daughter returns from the sanitarium after a breakdown. Max von Sydow is his usual excellent self as Karin's husband, trying his best to hold on while his wife slowly slips back into madness in front of him. Her father and brother have a strained relationship and this enters into the drama surrounding Karin and her downfall. Harriet Andersson is awesome as Karin, giving one of the best portrayals of mental illness I've ever seen.

Crazy Heart...big disappointment...5.5/10
Yeah, that movie is not nearly as great as Bridges performance. I would probably rate it a little higher than you, it needs a rewatch, not much higher though.

Make a better place

High Crimes 2002

Not a bad Thriller/Mystery, but I expected something more taking into account the great cast.

The Two Faces of January 2014

I didn't like the movie so much I felt it was slow, but what I did like is Viggo's acting, I believe it's his best, at least out of the movies that I've watched.

Chains of Gold 1991

I hate to say that about a John Travolta movie, but it's a cheesy movie.

Even Travolta's acting wasn't superior as usual.

The Midnight Meat Train

I'm glad that Bradley Cooper took the courage to do a movie like this, I won't say the same thing about Vinnie Jones because he seems to accept any offers that comes his way, I love the man though.

I just wish more big names do more movies like this.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
House of Flying Daggers Last night. (thank you Netflix)

This one rounds out my trilogy of great female-based kung fu movies that I can share with my Sis and nieces, the first 2 being Wing Chun and of course, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

[IMG][/IMG]

Big Hero 6 - 6.5/10. Very nice movie.

The Theory of Everything 6.8/10. Very very good. Oscar nominee for sure. Winner, not quite sure.

Off to Penguins this weekend.

The Hobbit: Battle of Five Armies (2014)

I feel like writing one long detailed review of how ABSOLUTE **** this was... But then again I don't think it's really worth it, honestly.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore -6/10 -- I've seen this before, it had been a while. It's worth a watch, but nothing amazing. Script is lacking but I think Scorsese did his best, as did Ellen Burstyn.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
House of Flying Daggers Last night. (thank you Netflix)

This one rounds out my trilogy of great female-based kung fu movies that I can share with my Sis and nieces, the first 2 being Wing Chun and of course, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.
You definitely have to watch some older wuxia flicks.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

The Hobbit: Battle of Five Armies (2014)

I feel like writing one long detailed review of how ABSOLUTE **** this was... But then again I don't think it's really worth it, honestly.

I haven't seen it, so i can't really comment on it. But what did you expect?

I got off the Peter Jackson / Lord of the Rings train, when i was a teenager and saw The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers with my dad. It's so filled with cheasy one-lines, sentimental romance and what not, that its barely watchable. Never looked back after that one.

I guess i should have been the target audience since i was a teenager and had read the books as a child...

Angel Maker: Serial Killer Queen (2014, USA)
Directed by OH Krill
4.5/10

Horrible soundtrack and the pace of the documentary dragged on....