Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I'm sure there are plenty of movies I love that you think are garbage. What's wrong with people having different tastes? Would it not be boring if everyone shared the same opinion? I'm never going to pretend to like/dislike something so as to seem cool.

And I know you're joking around but that just lead me to a tangent. Also it's late and I'm tired.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I don't know why I like funny, creatively-plotted movies
Wait a minute, you like films that are funny and creatively plotted? You crazy mad man you! They ought to lock you up

JayDee, you say I am part of the art house mafia, well, I think Back to the Future is a great film
Yeah well there's being a part of the art house mafia and then there's just sheer insanity! You may be evil but you're not insane.

Well that's a long back-and-forth about someone's opinion lol... I'll save you Soho!

Hey guys, I watched like 50 minutes of The Seventh Seal and thought it was boring pretentious crap and turned it off before I myself met with death just out of pure boredom!

What makes you think that in Stalker the themes are executed through the protagonist's companions? Is it because of their conversations?

Personally I think the main character in Stalker is as much a protagonist as Kelvin is in Solaris, and this is something that I noticed only once I realized how powerful the changes from color to sepia really were
He's certainly as much a protagonist as Kelvin, but he is it in a different way. Of course both are observers and "experiencers" to a certain degree, but Kelvin leans a lot more to the latter kind, while Stalker is more of the former.

I think one physical contrast between both movies kind of proves my point:

Kline is the new one in the space station. He's experiencing everything for the first time. He doesn't really understand what's happening to him yet, so he needs to undergo things first before observing. That makes him primarily an "experiencer".

Stalker is a guide. He knows the Zone and its effects. He doesn't have to experience everything anymore for the first time. He's been there and can explain everything that's happening from a higher point (even though he's still experiencing it). He's primarily an observer.

In Stalker, the two compagnons are the "novices" and experience everything first hand, while in Solaris, the colleagues are the ones with the knowledge.

Oh wow, your interpretations on the films couldn't be more different than mine. Those are some interesting points you make though

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Perhaps I didn't express myself correctly. I wasn't criticising Back to the Future for being unrealistic, that'd be completely unfair. I didn't expect realism, nor did I want it. There are plenty of films which can be considered roller-coaster rides which I adore.

My issues with it were numerous, but in terms of overall effect, it left me very underwhelmed. I didn't get drawn into the world, which felt paper thin. I thought the setting would be rich, and full of interesting, minute details that drew a vibrant picture. Instead, everything relied on the crude and the nauseatingly obvious. Visually, it wasn't nearly as arresting as I had hoped.

It seems like you're implying that I am one of these people you refer to. I like funny too. I love creative. Whilst I won't deny that there aren't bubbles of creative juice simmering at the surface here, they don't really come to the boil. As for the dialogue, there were some occasional chuckles (I liked the Reagan quip) but for the most part it was hackneyed and just too cheesy for my liking.

I did express my honest opinion, and I do understand that most people love the movie. I didn't chastise anyone for that opinion, I'm far from being an elitist when it comes to movies. I don't know if you interpreted my disdain for the film as a slight on its fans, but if so, then that was certainly not my intention. I respect that everyone has different tastes. I was merely posting my thoughts on what I saw.
I feel like you were expecting too much from this film. You wanted the past to be rich with minute details, you expected it to be like Raiders, you wanted arresting visuals.

It's hard, I know, but I feel like you have to go into EVERY movie with a blank slate. No expectations and see what comes of it. BTTF is a classic in my mind. I find it hilarious, clever and highly re-watchable. The last one is what makes it loved by so many people. It's something that people can watch over and over again.

Suspect's Reviews

I feel like you were expecting too much from this film...It's hard, I know, but I feel like you have to go into EVERY movie with a blank slate. No expectations and see what comes of it.
Preconceived ideas is what ruins a movie for many people. Me included.

I am not talking about BTTF or anyone person.

All humans 'fill in the blanks' A problem arises when our image of what we think a movie will be about or look like, comes up against the movie itself. This is often why people say, 'the book was better.' The human imagination is way better than any film.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched two movies last night that were the original and remake versions based on the same book. The original version is in the 5th HOF, so I posted my thoughts about both movies there.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...16#post1217116

Plein Soleil aka Purple Noon (1960)

The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999)

Welcome to the human race...
Under the Skin -

Probably the most genuinely unsettling movie I've seen all year, with the plot (as far as I can tell) revolving around Scarlett Johansson playing an alien who's disguised as an attractive woman who constantly lures men back to her place as part of some nefarious alien scheme. The film emphasises the show-don't-tell nature perhaps a little too much with its minimal dialogue and drawn-out visuals, though you can piece enough of the plot together while also wondering about the significance of certain other plot points (for example, what exactly is the deal with the motorcyclist?) The film also has a great atmosphere full of dread accentuated by nightmarish visual effects and jarring original music.

Brimming with rififi!
Nebraska -

I just want to say Bruce Dern was ******* brilliant. I'm drawn to one particular scene where his character, Woody, visits his childhood home. As he walks reminiscently around the house, he displays an incredible sense of longing and nostalgia yet his emotions are hidden under a thick veil of indifference--if that even makes sense. I spent the whole film trying to understand the cantankerous, bibulous old fool, trying to understand his relationship with David, trying to understand his past, trying to understand his motives, all a seemingly impossible task, which is where the genius lies within Dern's performance.

Enough about Bruce Dern. Nebraska is one of those films that is wrought with emotion and sentiment but carefully weaves it into a uniquely entertaining and comedic story. At times the film is as poignant as it is funny.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Yes, but it's a close fight in my opinion!
I was waching Robert Rodriguez' Director's Chair with Quentin Tarantino the other day and, when talking about Pulp Fiction, Tarantino said the 80's were a time when the directors didn't have enough room to do what they wanted, the studios made a huge pressure on them to deliver likable characters and there was a lot of censorship, it was the less criative period since... the 50's.
And then, came Pulp Fiction!

Is it just me or the are 80's the worst decade on Hollywood's History?
No. That'd be the 50's. ... Or the 00's.
The 50's!?!? Hitch in his prime and movies like 12 Angry Men!?

http://www.imdb.com/search/title/?re...e_type=feature

Welcome to the human race...
Birdemic: Shock and Terror -
(Camp value:
)

The only reason I'm not rating this a
is because I generally try to reserve that rating for films I actively despise and don't even serve as good subjects for mockery. Birdemic, on the other hand, is definitely a terrible film in terms of quality, but boy, is it fun to watch with an appreciative audience. We are talking about a film that's so tone-deaf in so many different ways that it made me realise just how professional and technically semi-competent other "worst films ever" like The Room and Troll 2 were in comparison. Poor acting, distractingly awful audio quality, those infamously unconvincing special effects, ineffective plotting and, well, just about everything about this movie is bad, but fortunately it's bad in the most fun way possible. Oh, yeah, I didn't mention the plot - basically it's just a really, really bad rip-off of The Birds. Highly recommended to the so-bad-it's-good crowd.

Unregistered User

Asylum (1972)

British horror anthology film of 4 genuinely creepy tales, told within 1 briliiantly creepy tale. A real hidden gem for me this, as i just happened to stumble upon it on TV. Peter Cushling gives a typically great performance, plus Britt Eklund has an excellent role too. Definately give this one a go if you are into horror. I know Cricket loves British films and horror so you check this one out.

+

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
Nebraska -

I just want to say Bruce Dern was ******* brilliant. I'm drawn to one particular scene where his character, Woody, visits his childhood home. As he walks reminiscently around the house, he displays an incredible sense of longing and nostalgia yet his emotions are hidden under a thick veil of indifference--if that even makes sense. I spent the whole film trying to understand the cantankerous, bibulous old fool, trying to understand his relationship with David, trying to understand his past, trying to understand his motives, all a seemingly impossible task, which is where the genius lies within Dern's performance.

Enough about Bruce Dern. Nebraska is one of those films that is wrought with emotion and sentiment but carefully weaves it into a uniquely entertaining and comedic story. At times the film is as poignant as it is funny.
It's a beautiful work, but would have looked so much better in 35mm black and white photochemical film.