How would you change certain movies?

Tools    

Most recently I had strong feelings about how a TV show ended..

WARNING: "True Blood Ending" spoilers below
Sookie agrees with Bill to use her ball of light to kill him. She builds it up, throws it out, BAM. The vampire part of bill is destroyed. What is left is bill as a human. Sookie is now a human too because she used her power. They get married and have children and live a normal life happily ever after.

So much better than the crap that we were given.

Something small but I'd add Spiderman into The Avengers.

Great topic...off the top of my head:

I would have cast Julie Andrews in the film version of My Fair Lady...of course, if she had done that film, she wouldn't have been able to do Mary Poppins, which is my favorite movie of all time.

I would have had Gil Shepherd come back for Celia at the end of The Purple Rose of Cairo...I hate that the second Tom Baxter went back into the movie that Gil blew off Celia.

I hate the way Clint Eastwood went out in Gran Torino...somehow I would have had his character come out of that movie alive.

I would have cast someone else, anyone else, in the role of Joey Drayton in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?...Katherine Houghton was absolutely dreadful in the role, a role she only got because she was Katharine Hepburn's niece.

I would have left out the Christopher Walken scene in Pulp Fiction...I understand why Tarantino included the scene and it was important the first time I watched it, but during re-watches, I found the scene just brings the film to a complete halt. The scene could have been summed up in a couple of lines given to Butch.

I would have cast Doris Day as Nellie in the 1958 film version of South Pacific

I would have had Meryl Streep and Alec Baldwin end up together at the end of It's Complicated...hate the way that movie ended and I'm convinced that Meryl and Steve Martin's characters would have been miserable together.

I would have cast Zoey Deschanel as Russell Brand's leading lady in his remake of Arthur

I would have cut the song "Love is Only Love" out of the 1969 musical Hello Dolly!

I would have had Annie dump Alvy SInger in Annie Hall...he treated her like crap and didn't deserve her.

I would have kept the original ending from the play for the movie version of A Streetcar Named Desire...I understood why they changed the ending but it diluted the power of the piece.

I would have cast someone else in Max Von Sydow's role in Hannah and her SIsters...he gave me the creeps in that movie.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Woody put Max Van Sydow only because of he was Bergman's guy... It's like PTA putting the entire cast of every Altman movie. The funny thin is I just watched that movie a few months ago, and didn't notice him!

I have a newer VHS where they play ALL of Streetcar, taking nothing out.

And I think the Christopher Walken part was just to put him in there...

WARNING: "Harold and Maude" spoilers below
I would have hoped that Maude wouldn't have committed suicide and instead lived to the ripe old age of 82.

A loving heart is the truest wisdom.
I would leave this scene in The Phantom Menace:

It wouldn't fix every problem but it would make it a much better movie.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Great topic...off the top of my head:

I would have cast Julie Andrews in the film version of My Fair Lady...of course, if she had done that film, she wouldn't have been able to do Mary Poppins, which is my favorite movie of all time.

It's such a shame that Julie Andrews wasn't in the movie version of My Fair Lady. I like Audrey Hepburn, but Julie Andrews would have been so much better. Julie Andrews could have done her own singing, rather than have the songs dubbed by Marni Nixon.

But Julie Andrews got her revenge when she won the Oscar for Best Actress for Mary Poppins, while My Fair Lady won just about everything else that year. She also won the Golden Globe award for Mary Poppins that year. She even closed her acceptance speech at the Golden Globes by saying, "And, finally, my thanks to a man who made a wonderful movie and who made all this possible in the first place, Mr. Jack Warner."

Ok, time to play Devil's Advocate.

Why are you "changing" works of art? When a woman messes up a centuries old painting everyone flips out but it's alright to tamper with people's films (in theory)? I know you're just throwing out ideas, but it's still pretty presumptuous to think you can somehow improve someone else's work. Right? Most films are the product of someone's artistic vision and, even if it's Uwe Boll, they've made the best representation of their work. That means it was as perfect as they could get it...but it's not perfect enough for you?

Do you think Badlands was unintentionally lighthearted? Do you really think Gran Torino would be better by changing and negating the entire point of the film?!?!

That said, I despise copyright laws. Yes, I said it and I'm the only person who sides with Shia Labeouf. I don't think a person can own an idea. Once an idea is out there it should be built upon, changed, and challenged; not owned. I'd love it if there was a very short limit on ownership. All properties should go into public domain much quicker than the 60 years or whatever nonsense it is right now.

Here's why.

I really, really want to see Darren Aronofsky's version of Batman. It would be easy as hell for him to make that film if the character was in public domain.

I'd love to see unauthorized sequels, even if they suck (I know this wasn't technically unauthorized, but it fits the idea I'm talking about).

I'd love to see various artists take on different properties. Look at all the Sherlock Holmes tales that have come out of the last couple decades. Wouldn't it be amazing if more properties could be mined by a wider pool of artists?

Yeah, sure, it's great that Disney can make money off Mickey Mouse until the end of time, but screw that. I say limit ownership of all properties and open the world to more creativity.

Also, there's this.

Woody put Max Van Sydow only because of he was Bergman's guy... It's like PTA putting the entire cast of every Altman movie. The funny thin is I just watched that movie a few months ago, and didn't notice him!

I have a newer VHS where they play ALL of Streetcar, taking nothing out.

And I think the Christopher Walken part was just to put him in there...
I don't really care why Woody cast him in the movie, he was just the only thing in the movie that didn't work for me...he was creepy. As for Streetcar, I'm assuming that you have never seen the play, because in the play, Stella does NOT leave Stanley the way she does in the movie. The people behind the '51 film believed that the only way to justify Stanley's behavior to movie audiences was to have him lose Stella and the baby. The original ending of the play is much more powerful IMO because it allows the audience to form their opinions about what Stanley did and Stella's reaction to it, which seems somewhat cold because this original ending implies that no one believes Stanley really raped Blanche, which makes the ending of the story so effectively disturbing.

Welcome to the human race...
Crank had such a good high-concept for an action movie, but it definitely could have used a few changes such as replacing Jason Statham and cutting that really rapey-looking sex scene (not like the more obviously consensual one in the sequel was any better, though).

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
I would add Hayden Christensen to the end of every movie ever made.

I would have hoped that Maude wouldn't have committed suicide and instead lived to the ripe old age of 82.
dude what the ****

Just a joke... It would have been nice to have a Part 2: The Wedding

I would have left the Judy Garland number, Mr Monotony, in Easter Parade. It was a great number and reportedly Irving Berlin's favorite number.

I would have detoxed, cleaned up and then cast Judy Garland as 'Helen Lawson' in Valley of the Dolls. The role that reportedly was based on Garland herself but played by Susan Hayward because Garland was too unreliable at the time to finish movie.

I would have recast Humphrey Bogart in Sabrina and Fred Astaire in Funny Face. Both were too old for a young Audrey Hepburn. Astaire was old enough to be her grandfather.

As much as I like B&W films. I would have shot Yankee Doodle Dandy in technicolor.

I would not have dubbed Audrey Hepburn's musical numbers in My Fair Lady. On the DVD extras you can hear many of Audrey's original recorded tracks and she had quite a nice voice.

I would have left the Judy Garland number, Mr Monotony, in Easter Parade. It was a great number and reportedly Irving Berlin's favorite number.

I would have detoxed, cleaned up and then cast Judy Garland as 'Helen Lawson' in Valley of the Dolls. The role that reportedly was based on Garland herself but played by Susan Hayward because Garland was too unreliable at the time to finish movie.

I would have recast Humphrey Bogart in Sabrina and Fred Astaire in Funny Face. Both were too old for a young Audrey Hepburn. Astaire was old enough to be her grandfather.

As much as I like B&W films. I would have shot Yankee Doodle Dandy in technicolor.

I would not have dubbed Audrey Hepburn's musical numbers in My Fair Lady. On the DVD extras you can hear many of Audrey's original recorded tracks and she had quite a nice voice.
I, too, would have left "Mr. Motonony" in Easter Parade as well. I also would have loved to have seen Judy Garland play Helen Lawson because Hayward's performance was unintentionally funny. I agree with you regarding Bogart in Sabrina, but I liked Astaire and Hepburn together in Funny Face. Regarding Hepburn in My Fair Lady, I might have used Audrey's voice on "Wouldn't it be Loverly?" but there's no way she could have handled "I Could Have Danced all Night" or "Without You", so I think the decision to bring in Marni Nixon was a good one, but a better solution would have been to give Julie Andrews the part.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

I agree 100% about Bogart in Sabrina. I love the movie, but he was just too old for the part. I think that''s one of the reasons why I prefer the remake with Harrison Ford.

Yankee Doodle Dandy definitely would have looked better in color, but even though I'm not a big fan of James Cagney, the movie is still one of my favorites.

Instead of dubbing Audrey Hepburn's voice in My Fair Lady, they should have just cast Julie Andrews in the movie. As much as I love Mary Poppins, that role would have been easier to recast, or even better, waited until she was available.