Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Gone Girl (2014) -

I liked some things and I have mixed feelings about some others. Twists, twists, and twists. There isn't much blood, but when there is, oh boy. On the other hand there is plenty of nudity, including Affleck's own phallus. One character is a first-rate psychopath. Doesn't feel long for a film that is nearly two and half hours long, so definitely worth viewing. It's basically a very, very dark comedy disguised as a thriller. Overall one of Fincher's weakest efforts.
Even though you don't give it a great rating, you make me want to watch this. I might see about going to the cinema actually.

I think you'll like it more than I did, definitely go see it. I would have rated it higher if it wasn't told from two different perspectives, a thriller can't fully succeed for me this way, as at least half of the suspense is instantly gone. There are plenty of twists and turns but unlike last year's Prisoners for example, or even Fincher's own Se7en, this one basically explains itself along the way.

But the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that it's actually a Coenesque dark comedy, masquerading as a mystery film. There is more funny stuff than there is disturbing stuff.

Even though you don't give it a great rating, you make me want to watch this. I might see about going to the cinema actually.
It's the phrase "Affleck's own phallus" that did it, isn't it?

Just kidding. I actually really want to see this movie, too. I might head to the theater this weekend.

BlueLion, I stand by my opinion that the effects of Godzilla were great. And I am not comparing them to other movies, just on their own merit. I thought the effects of the monsters (particularly the MUTOs) were excellent, even when the one was in the cocoon (or pupa or whatever they called it). The shots of Godzilla swimming under the ships were great, the shot of Godzilla glaring at the soldier then retreating back into the cloud was great, Godzilla womping the ass of the MUTOs was great. GREAT, GREAT, GREAT, do you read me?! But thanks for your input.

Planet of the Apes (Franklin J. Schaffner, 1968)

It's been a few years since I last watched this film and each time I watch it, I wonder why it's so respected. I get the parallels between the fictional world of the film and the way humans treat animals and, indeed, each other, but damn is this movie corny. Heston's ridiculous laugh when they crash land and quotes like "It's a madhouse! A MADHOUSE!!!" and "Get your stinking paws off me you damned dirty ape" really don't help matters. But despite, or probably because of, its corniness it is an entertaining watch.

BlueLion, I stand by my opinion that the effects of Godzilla were great. And I am not comparing them to other movies, just on their own merit. I thought the effects of the monsters (particularly the MUTOs) were excellent, even when the one was in the cocoon (or pupa or whatever they called it). The shots of Godzilla swimming under the ships were great, the shot of Godzilla glaring at the soldier then retreating back into the cloud was great, Godzilla womping the ass of the MUTOs was great. GREAT, GREAT, GREAT, do you read me?! But thanks for you input.
Dadgumblah, you're dead. Killed by a knife-wielding maniac.

The middle 45-60 minutes of Up keeps it from being as great as it could be for me as well. Boy those bookends are fantastic though. 4/5 star movie for me.

Up (2009)

I absolutely loved the first half hour, but then the magic just disappeared for me. I liked the last hour, but that was it.
Sad to see you weren't impressed by this one the way you were with Ratatouille. Oh well. +Rep for giving it a try.

Up (2009)

I absolutely loved the first half hour, but then the magic just disappeared for me. I liked the last hour, but that was it.

Dissapointed to see you didn't think too much of the rest of the movie, but at least you liked it overall. For me it would've fell apart if it kept in a similar vain as the first thirty minutes. Carl pursuing his childhood dream, along with the just as enthusiastic child version of himself Russ worked incredibly well for me. I must admit the villain and the animals didn't work that much for me but overall i thought it was a quality film.

Up (2009)

Yeah, Up was like that for me, too. It declined after the beginning.

Well, it is a hard act to follow, no doubt. But there's a lot of really tremendous stuff going on in the second half, too. Lots of metaphors and references I didn't get until literally the 8th or 9th viewing.

I know I've been saying this forever, but I've got a giant essay about the film more or less done, and I'm gonna try to have it posted soon. Hoping it helps illuminate how rich and deep the film is, all the way through.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Citizen Kane (1941)

I'm so pissed off right now... I watched this film yesterday, it was on my watchlist for a long time now and it was one of those movies I knew I couldn't let unseen!

However, all the "best movie in the history" hype that this movie have surrounding it totally blew it for me! I can't rate it, I can't say if I liked it and I can't say if it's a masterpiece or not! I spent the entire movie trying to see why it is the best movie ever and I ended up missing the whole point...

I have to rewatch it and then maybe then I can have an opinion about it!

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Eyes Wide Shut (1999)

Well, Kubrick is a genious, that's all I can say!

One of the most intense movies I ever watched... I can't even describe how much this movie touched me! The scene at the house is overwhelming and it gives such an energy to the rest of the film... Loved it!

10/10

Citizen Kane (1941)

I'm so pissed off right now... I watched this film yesterday, it was on my watchlist for a long time now and it was one of those movies I knew I couldn't let unseen!

However, all the "best movie in the history" hype that this movie have surrounding it totally blew it for me! I can't rate it, I can't say if I liked it and I can't say if it's a masterpiece or not! I spent the entire movie trying to see why it is the best movie ever and I ended up missing the whole point...

I have to rewatch it and then maybe then I can have an opinion about it!
To me Citizen Kane has always been more of a technical and experimental masterpiece than anything...

The directing, the storytelling and structure were all groundbreaking elements and made this movie worth a watch. But I will probably not sit down and watch it again, as I don't see it a masterpiece on any other level especially not on enjoyment and rewatchability.

In theatres I saw Guardians of the Galaxy. Not going to lie. It's not as great as everyone is saying it is. I'd give it an 8/10. It's good, but i have comic book friends that say it's be best Marvel movie out there. Did you see Days of Future Past? Did you see Captain America The Winter Soldier? Did you see the first Iron Man? No. Guardians of the Galaxy is NOT the best Marvel movie.

Dadgumblah, you're dead. Killed by a knife-wielding maniac.
Ah well, I always thought death was overrated. But if I have to go, I'd prefer it be done by ax. One of those long-handled fire axes. Or a flamethrower. Flamethrowers are cool.

Blue Is The Warmest Color.

Let's see. I'll give it 3.5/10

The movie was WAY too long. It's the story-life of a teenager, she gets to experiment and know what she likes in life, her motivations. It's a french movie.
The main character is cold, and decisive, even tho she has a good life and is very clever, she seems to NEVER be happy. (Could've been a hell of a good psycho). She's confused about her likes in a relationship way. In the movie it shows as other people are taking the decisions more than her, when it comes to experiences. They push her into it and she goes easy.

Now the sexual scenes are WAY too long and definitely show way too much.

It's a 3 hour long movie in which they show how a teenager eats, have sex, and goes to school/work. I'm not going to spoil the ending but it's far from being satisfactory.

In definitive, not my type of movie.

Sorry if I offend, but movies are subjective.