Does Kick-Ass go too far?

Tools    

Another thing to consider is that it seems as if in every culture certain swear words hold more weight then others. One of the worst words you can use to someone thats been in jail would be goof go figure, I mean they will want to kill you. I rememebr when I was in school and there were losts of foreign people and when you used the word Mother%$&*ker against them in anyway even if you were friends and as kids you may say it jokingly it didn't matter they would want to fight you on the spot. I guess what i'm saying is that swearing has different degrees of badness everywhere you go and most certainly is ever changing as culture clash and mesh together.

If the film is meant to be viewed by Adults and only by Adults it would seem like by todays film wizardery and by the likes of yester years film wizardery that they would be able to get the child actor to say something close to that bad word such as bunt and then change it later in the dubbing stages of the film. If your concerns are for the young person within the confines of making the film and saying such a word. Again, there is also the parents to consider that are allowing there children to say such a word for the film.

I don't have children, but I think that part of the sad reality of the world today is also the expectability humans as a whole seem to have embrace, reverded and condonded slur words and swear words as there everyday life vernacular so the unexcepted has now become excepted. the norm for older and younger generations of people to say in all types of circumstances. The sheer usage and frequency people and the media TV/films seem to use them at is alarming.

LB I'm pretty sure Goof is an Alberta-BC thing. That word could get you killed though. C#nt is pretty much a bad thing to say around woman where ever English is spoken.Women really hate that word but guys not so much. I hear my buddies call each other dumb c#nts all the time. Or on the golf course Its used all the time. Eg."This nine iron is being a real c#nt today" So I guess what I'm getting at is that its not so bad till you call your girlfriend a c......

Welcome to the human race...
I don't know, dude, I've hung around women who use it just as flippantly as men, although I'm fairly certain they're just a vocal minority.

On a somewhat related note, this topic reminds me of this comic book series called Y: The Last Man where one woman calls another one a c***. In response, the other woman delivers a spiel about how the origin of the word actually has positive connotations about womanhood - the reason it's become such a bad word is because of man's inherent misogyny or some damn thing. It's been a while since I read it.

My wifes maiden name is pronounced c#nt. Its a German thing but its spelt different. Just a little fun fact thanx.
Is this her maiden name?

Every Englishman's favourite German footballer.

ATTT: The only problem I have is to whether the parent (mother in this case) allowed the child to say it or not. That depends on which story you believe. If I remember correctly, the mother says that she didn't allow it and that, for all the previous takes, the word was omitted. Then Kevin Smith 'convinced' the child to say the line and that's the take he kept. Tthough I think she admits that the child wanted to say it all along.

BTW, I hated that article. David Cox looks like a miserable 'one', doesn't he?

As for what's right and wrong, well, I don't see any words as wrong so that's not a problem for me either.

I'd be interested if the posters from the UK agree that the word is used fairly equally between the sexes here? I hear men and women use it with pretty equal frequency. When I use it, it's almost always the ultimate insult, my way of showing just how angry I am or how much I hate someone. Whereas my sister uses it (or did until her children were born) as if it was the last day on Earth it could be said. There's only two years between us and we've spent our lives in exactly the same situation and have many of the same friends.

Also, is the UK the only place on Earth that uses the word as an adjective? How about as a greeting?

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
HK I agree with you that both sexes in the UK use it just as much each other, Ive been out and ive seen girls/women saying it as freely as "Hello" and the same goe for boys/men.

"photographers" Pfft! Dang single framers!
Personally, I don't think there's ever a time when profanity is OK. Sure, I curse like a sailer, but that don't make it right. There's nothing "cool" about a child cursing and there's no possible way it could push the story along in a movie. It shows a lack of vocabulary and also displays ignorance in how to handle life's problems. A lot of kids will copy what they hear from a movie because they believe it will make them appear as cool as the actor who said it. Don't need it. It killed the Blair Witch Project (along with the lousy camerawork).

Oh my God...I sound like my mother!!

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
I agree with most of the sentiment that I'm getting from this thread.

Regardless of the fact that the kid is "acting," the kid did still say the word in reality. This is the big difference, so no it is not OK. Kids are kids and should not use that language. Another analogy would be in writing a journal for school. When writing dialogue can a kid use offensive language in order to capture reality? Of course not.

Let me put it another way. But I do see this as an unfortunate trend.

Look back at Interview With the Vampire when Kristen Dunst had to commit murder and scream and behave like a brat... not cool at all. Do we want her to grow up like this?

Look at Leon where Natalie Portman shot people off of buildings... not cool.

Look at that kid in Robocop 2 where... OK he probably is selling crack these days.

What about the chillun in The Tin Drum? That born kid probably grew up eating older women out.

What about the kid in The Butcher Boy. Lord that was terribly inappropriate. Even more so was Jodi Foster hanging out with real-life prostitutes while she made Taxi Driver. Child abuse right there.

In fact, I'm starting to convince myself that children should not be exposed to any kind of bad influence in film or portray negative situations. These days with computer animation, filmmakers should use the technology to better humanity and use only CGI children under the age of 18.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

If the film is meant to be viewed by Adults and only by Adults it would seem like by todays film wizardery and by the likes of yester years film wizardery that they would be able to get the child actor to say something close to that bad word such as bunt and then change it later in the dubbing stages of the film. If your concerns are for the young person within the confines of making the film and saying such a word. Again, there is also the parents to consider that are allowing there children to say such a word for the film.

I don't have children, but I think that part of the sad reality of the world today is also the expectability humans as a whole seem to have embrace, reverded and condonded slur words and swear words as there everyday life vernacular so the unexcepted has now become excepted. the norm for older and younger generations of people to say in all types of circumstances. The sheer usage and frequency people and the media TV/films seem to use them at is alarming.
Excellent point! Again, we need computer generated children and replace underage acting completely. I would take your idea about getting a to say "blunt" and use the technology to make it something else, to adults as well. Adults should not be using bad language either. Lets have a computer fill in the words and give the director a bar of soap to put in THERE mouths.

I don't have children either (unless you count my cats as children, which I sometimes do) but I wouldn't want my cats using profane language.

And yes, in my 27 years of experience, I have noticed a trend of bad potty mouth language going on. I remember 50 years ago when I could walk down the street and never hear a swear world. Back when I fought in World War II my fellow soldiers would never swear simply because back then we didn't hear it on TV.

Same thing back in the Civil War days. Of course back then we did call the darkies niggers, but that was what they were so it didn't matter!

I agree with you, swearing is the worst thing affecting today's language. Why worry about using the Write There and excepteds and axcepteds and acceptsedses. We need to worry about knotty words beefour we learn about using propare grammar.

I do appreciate the warning. I am always on guard to protect my virgin ears... I mean eyes. I don't want my eyes to lose their virginity. Maybe when I'm dead I can get skull f*cked through the eye socket, but until then, and with your help and warning... my eyes shall remain virginal.

OK, I'll stop. I think I've made my point and don't want to carry on with my sarcastic tone in my presentation of my side of the argument. I mean, really, I wouldn't like to look like a c*nt or anything.

Excellent point! Again, we need computer generated children and replace underage acting completely. I would take your idea about getting a to say "blunt" and use the technology to make it something else, to adults as well. Adults should not be using bad language either. Lets have a computer fill in the words and give the director a bar of soap to put in THERE mouths.

I don't have children either (unless you count my cats as children, which I sometimes do) but I wouldn't want my cats using profane language.

And yes, in my 27 years of experience, I have noticed a trend of bad potty mouth language going on. I remember 50 years ago when I could walk down the street and never hear a swear world. Back when I fought in World War II my fellow soldiers would never swear simply because back then we didn't hear it on TV.

Same thing back in the Civil War days. Of course back then we did call the darkies niggers, but that was what they were so it didn't matter!

I agree with you, swearing is the worst thing affecting today's language. Why worry about using the Write There and excepteds and axcepteds and acceptsedses. We need to worry about knotty words beefour we learn about using propare grammar.
Thanks

OK, I'll stop. I think I've made my point and don't want to carry on with my sarcastic tone in my presentation of my side of the argument. I mean, really, I wouldn't like to look like a c*nt or anything.
don't try too hard

I have no opinion on this really. It is what it is. However, I know funny and Viddy's posts were funny.

Really very sad to listen such word from a child of age 13. Yes it justified when applied to a 15 years standard movie and when relevant to the movie or scene.

Really very sad to listen such word from a child of age 13. Yes it justified when applied to a 15 years standard movie and when relevant to the movie or scene.
What is a 15 years standard movie?

Look back at Interview With the Vampire when Kristen Dunst had to commit murder and scream and behave like a brat... not cool at all. Do we want her to grow up like this?
This is a tad disingenuous, don't you think? You can pretend to do these things while acting, but you can't pretend to use a word. You either use it or you don't.

It's a pretty ugly word; a mix of scatological and stop consonants that most of us agree kids shouldn't be saying. Why would that change simply because they're child actors? Or, in your native tongue, sarcasm: thank goodness that all newly christened child actors are granted a psychological force field the moment they're cast in a moderately sized production. It doesn't matter what they do or say, because as long as it's pretend their 11-year-old brains will perfectly compartmentalize their personal and professional lives. It's not as if child actors have some kind of overwhelming track record of substance abuse or general dysfunction.

Back to English: I don't think the kid's going to be warped, but I don't think questioning this sort of thing needs to be taken as some kind of assault on all filmic art. It sounds like a silly gag designed to shock, and it's probably in poor taste. I'm not sure what's so objectionable about disliking that.

"photographers" Pfft! Dang single framers!
I guess, to me, it's just the act of using a word that doesn't need to be used. It does nothing but diminish respect for the person saying it, and possibly annoys the person who hears it. It certainly don't make the film or story better. In the EXORCIST, the girl's voice was replaced by Mercedes Cambridge. The words were still used, but in this case, it drove the story. So I guess there are exceptions.