Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Lord High Filmquisitor
Dallas Buyers Club - 8/10

This is an amazing film that deserves all of the praise that it's had heaped on it, even if I prefer McConaughey's performance in both Mud and Interstellar. It's basically Schindler's List, but for people with AIDS; I seriously couldn't get the "The list is an absolute good" line out of my head during the film's entire second half.

My girlfriend and I disagree about exactly why the first half didn't work as well as the second half. She says that it was too slow, but I disagree that it was a matter of pacing. What it really comes down to is that it started as a more disparate narrative that eventually gained cohesion. Either way, it was a fantastic film and one of its year's best.

Dumb and Dumber To (2014)

The sequel to one of the funniest movies ever made is hit and miss.

It has some really funny moments, but it's just not as funny as the original.

Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels seemed to be playing it safe in several gags, or just repeating themselves from the first film.

The Red Desert (1964)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Make a better place

Wrecked 2010

Porco Rosso (1992)

I would probably like this more on a 2nd viewing, because it wasn't until the halfway mark when it started to grow on me. I liked the characters, and it seemed a little different than other anime that I've seen so far.

Hey guys, I´ve started a movie reviews channel on youtube, we are not expirient, but we are trying to get better, if you guys could check it out and give us your opinion would be great, thanks and stay safe http://

Porco Rosso (1992)

I would probably like this more on a 2nd viewing, because it wasn't until the halfway mark when it started to grow on me. I liked the characters, and it seemed a little different than other anime that I've seen so far.

Exactly how I felt when I watched Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind.

I wasn't really feeling it until about halfway. I actually think a lot of Mayazaki's films will get better with multiple viewings. He just fits so much into one movie it's hard to pick up on it all with only one viewing.

Exactly how I felt when I watched Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind.

I wasn't really feeling it until about halfway. I actually think a lot of Mayazaki's films will get better with multiple viewings. He just fits so much into one movie it's hard to pick up on it all with only one viewing.
Yea because it seems all his movies have had their ups and downs for me, while American animated movies are more consistent for me, good or bad.

Scream (1996) & Scream 2 (1997) ... rewatches

I've always thought the Scream movies were a lot of fun, and the 4th was a huge surprise while the 3rd stinks as far as I remember. But it had been a long time since I rewatched the first two so I decided to do so. The first one is obviously a classic modern horror movie, and it still works great. It also feels like the most consistent and well-structered film of the series. While the second one is also great fun it gets a bit lost in its own spoofing "sequalized" world. It's like it goes a bit too far and while it works to some extent, it also looses some of the value the first one had. But great fun both of them - just as smart and witty as it is stupid and laughable. Quite a mixture!

Both are around
for me.

... I'm currently still working on the ever on-going process of compiling my top horror movies list. Problem is I'm kind of a perfectionist, so there's a lot of the movies I want to rewatch before I'm certain I have them in the right spot. And there's plenty of animated movies I have to watch also - here's one...

Chicken Run (2000)

Fun little animated flick. Not as good as the Wallace & Gromit movie, but quite entertaining with the signature humour and witty & wicked stop-motion animation!

It all started with Punch Drunk Love. I have more in common with Adam Sandler's character in PDL than I'd like to admit. Because of that, I fell in love with the movie and even bought the DVD. I liked it so much that I decided not to write off Paul Thomas Anderson whose movies "Boogie Nights" and "Magnolia" I despised. Eventually I saw Magnolia again years later, and adored it. I have lectured a few people on not giving up on Magnolia because I had written it off and eventually figured it out. So now I thought I was something of a Paul Thomas Anderson fan. I tried "There will be Blood" and "The Master," but to no avail. I slogged through "Blood" and couldn't even finish "The Master" and I figured that was the end of it. Yesterday, however, I got bored and decided to watch Boogie Nights again. Like "Magnolia," I had seen it twice before a decade ago and loathed it. For whatever reason I had the same reaction to "Boogie Nights" as I did to "Magnolia" and it blew me away. It was one of the best movies I have seen in years and I

now want to give all Anderson's movies another shot. Perhaps a certain level of maturity and/or cynicism about the human condition is necessary to appreciate Anderson. Whatever it is, I now have it.

Boogie Nights
Punch Drunk Love is a good film and it showed another side to Adam Sandler that he should be showing more of.

Boogie Nights and Magnolia are great films. I did not enjoy There Will Be Blood and couldn't finish The Master either. They were extremely tedious and boring.

Inherent Vice looks promising and a return to form for Anderson. I'm likening it to the Coen Brothers style of directing, most notably The Big Lebowski.

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

It's too musical for me, but I think it's fantastic for the right viewer. I still enjoyed it; it's short, I liked the style, and it had a certain magic to it.

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.
A Place in the Sun, 1951
Dir: George Stevens

Tragic, troubling and devastatingly romantic. Montgomery Clift and Elizabeth Taylor play George Eastman and Angela Vickers: a gorgeously mismatched pair of lovers who are tragically separated due to a lies, mistakes and a flawed justice system. The two leads are exquisite together: Clift is the perfectly awkward, timid but nonetheless smart and ambitious working-class boy, whilst Elizabeth Taylor is sublime as a charismatic society girl. A Place in the Sun is just like many of those films which questions the credibility of the justice system, in which the supposedly simplistic concepts of "guilty" and "innocent" become marred and subjective. The film, apart from featuring one of the most beautiful, eye-fluttering, heartbreaking love stories of all time, leaves one of the most prevailing, uncertain questions of all time: was he innocent or guilty? And if so, what was the degree of his innocence/guilt?

8/10

Trouble Every Day (2001)

I watched this because I had heard it was disturbing. The only thing disturbing about it was how dull and uninteresting it was. It was hard to understand what was going on much of the time and there was no spark. Vincent Gallo has got to be one of the filthiest creatures alive; I feel like I need to disinfect my TV screen now. It's well made and sets the mood, but there was no pay off.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014)

I was impressed with the first one and I'm impressed with this one. It may be a typical blockbuster in some aspects but it actually has some depth. Every scene with the monkeys is great but I'd like to see the human more developed aswell.The CGI here is really well done too.

7/10

------------------------------

Clerks II (2006)

The first one was a revolutionary movie in a lot of aspects and it's still one of the most quotable movies ever.
This one tries to mantain the concept with a slighly different style. It has some really funny parts and the ending is not bad at all. It's enjoyable but not nearly as quotable as the first one and definitely not nearly as remarkable.
Also, I thought Tarantino was bad as an actor until I saw Kevin Smith "acting". The only thing he has to do is to remain silent and he still sucks.

6/10

Got kind of confusing towards the end with lots of plot twists being revealed all at once, but the final 15 minutes or so was thought provoking and brilliant. Great performance from Casey Affleck and well directed by Ben Affleck.

Fire walk with me.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I've watched a bunch of animated movies recently that I haven't had time to rate, so I'll put a few of them together in one post.

Lilo & Stitch (2002)

Stitch! The Movie (2003)

Lilo & Stitch 2: Stitch Has a Glitch (2005)

Leroy & Stitch (2006)

These were all re-watches for me. I saw the first movie in the theater, and I immediately fell in love with Stitch. I bought each sequel as they were released, and I've seen every episode of the series, too. (I bought a lot of the Stitch toys and dolls too. )

The first movie, Lilo & Stitch, is definitely the best, but I love the second movie, Stitch! The Movie, almost as much as the first one. In the first movie, we meet Lilo and Stitch, and the rest of the main characters, but in the second movie, we start meeting Stitch's cousins, and that's where the fun begins.

Things get a little bit weird in the next two movies, but they're still a lot of fun, and worth watching, but don't expect the same magic as the first two movies.

+rep for the watching Goodies, but that quadruple feature would be like my worst day ever.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Here are a few more animated movies rated together. These are similar movies in that they're all animated adventures, and they're all fun movies, but that's about the end of the similarities.

The Road to El Dorado (2000)

The Road to El Dorado is about two guys who win a treasure map to El Dorado, the legendary city of gold, and they set out to find it. I have a bit of a soft spot for this movie because I'm a big fan of Kevin Kline who does one of the main voices, and I loved the music which was done by Elton John and Tim Rice, so my rating may be a bit higher than it should be, but I thought this movie was a lot of fun.

Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001)

Atlantis: The Lost Empire was probably the weakest of the three movies. Some of the characters were a bit over the top, and they felt unnecessary, but the main storyline is basically an underwater adventure to find the lost city of Atlantis. Michael J. Fox did a great job as the main character, Milo, and James Garner was also great, but even these two great actors couldn't carry the whole movie.

Atlantis: The Lost Empire isn't a bad movie, but it's not a great move either. If you're looking for a fun animated adventure, it's pretty good, but the other two movies listed here are better.

Treasure Planet (2002)

Treasure Planet is basically an adaption of Robert Louis Stevenson's adventure novel "Treasure Island", but it's set in outer space, so it's kind of fun. I liked this story best out of the three movies. The adventure has the most action, and the voice actors were all great.

Welcome to the human race...
Barry Lyndon -

Gorgeously shot, great music, actors as living scenery more so than characters - Kubrick by numbers, alright. Certainly enough quality on display to override the fairly archetypal "rise-and-fall" narrative.