Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

It's very good, but the hyperbole is a bit much. You'd think it was Blackhat! But seriously, bluedeed, Daniel and Lucas will come on and explain that Ford gives them a hard-on and a bucket of tears at the same time.
Yeah, SWAN, Bluedeed, Daniel and Lucas are pretty much my favourite memebers to read from other than you. Think i must have missed their posts about How Green, because i've noticed this slowly becoming the film to compare stuff to.

Fantastic photography and visual imagery as usual with Ford's films, has a great personal feeling to it with the story of a family at the centre of a changing time, and an epic feel about how that time goes past too. As usual about community, family, togetherness, traditions, change. The performances are fantastic and the story really brings out the emotions. Films like these are cinematic magic, perfectly capturing so much and using the medium to all its potential

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Sleeping With Other People

A generic rom-com in which the focus is on how the two leads should not have sex with each other, but instead help each other with their own relationship problems. This becomes difficult when they discover they've fallen for each other, but cannot let that secret out.

Both Jason Sudeikis and Alison Brie are funny people, they both get a few laughs here with some pretty humourless material. They play their characters are broken pieces of sex crazed objects. He can't have a steady relationship because he just sleeps around, she can't have one because she is obsessed with an ex boyfriend who is married. Both of them are the last people you'd want as role models but they manage to be role models for each other in their own unique and twisted ways.

With the film being about lots of sex, Brie has the troublesome task of being the sex symbol of the film. She has some moments to show off that side (lingerie fashion show) but the film just feels unsexy at times. It's a little off putting because the sex comedy is second to the emotional drama. Neither really prove to be THAT effective, but simply serviceable to the material.

The film is plain, ordinary and not much else. I doubt I will remember anything about this film a few days from now, other than Brie in the aforementioned lingerie. Unless you're a fan of these two, I'd say this is a film you can totally skip. It's neither good, nor bad. It's the weird line down the middle.

Suspect's Reviews

I have to return some videotapes...
Incredible Hulk (2008) -
++

Garbage aside from some good moments with Roth and Norton.

Band of Outsiders (Jean-Luc Godard, 1964) -

The dance scene was fantastic, easily one of the best scenes I've seen by Godard. That sequence in particular reached Vivre sa Vie levels of greatness. The rest of the movie, while not quite on the same level of awesomeness for me, was still pretty great. Personally, with this film, and actually Vivre sa Vie as well (especially with that one), the highlight is Anna Karina and Godard's attitude with the craft of filmmaking.

I watched it with my dad and sister, and afterward had a great conversation about film (eventually expanding into other stuff as well) with my sister that started with us talking about this film and Godard. Good little bonding moment for us, especially considering she is going through a really rough time right now. So thanks for that, Godard.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Watch Week-end. Now THAT will make you have a great conversation!

Master of My Domain
Watch Week-end. Now THAT will make you have a great conversation!
Hey, that's my favorite Godard film. And I have no idea how Swan would think of it.

Care for some gopher?
Mutiny on the Bounty (Frank LLoyd, 1935) -

Quite an accomplishment in terms of filmmaking. I enjoyed it.

La planéte sauvage Fantastic Planet (René Laloux, 1973) -

Interesting, for being different other than that, meh.

The Enforcer (James Fargo, 1976) -
+

Lighter and more humorous than the previous two movies.

De vierde man The 4th Man (Paul Verhoeven, 1983) -
+

Spiritual predecessor to Basic Instinct but grittier. I was quite surprised by this one. Might like it even more on a repeated viewing.

10 Cloverfield Lane (2016)

The Cellar excels beyond a simple mystery as a hair pulling, stomach jarring horror picture. The resourceful lead operates logically as the audience goer turns back seat driver helping to navigate her way out of captivity. John Goodman looms over every move, all seeing and all knowing as a vindictive God or Jolly Old Saint Nick himself. There are certain backstories and skillsets that feel a little forced or convenient, but for most part it's a well written thriller with nauseating anxiety baked into the crust.

That, of course, is a review of The Cellar. Here are my thoughts on 10 Cloverfield Lane.

The marketing spoils the premise and renders the beginning of the film impotent. J.J. Abrams, dissatisfied with sinking his own career, now seeks out other people's work to capsize. In the 1970s, the peak of Big Hollywood as an artistic catalyst, this picture ends 10 minutes earlier, wraps $10 million cheaper, and lives on as a cult classic. In 2016, we just found a new young adult franchise with its revenue stream sure to be inversely related to its critical reception.

Here's to hoping for a director's cut.

http://boxd.it/9Cq59

The most loathsome of all goblins
De vierde man The 4th Man (Paul Verhoeven, 1983) -
+

Spiritual predecessor to Basic Instinct but grittier. I was quite surprised by this one. Might like it even more on a repeated viewing.
Sounds interesting. I've never delved into Verhoeven's films outside of his most well-known Hollywood entries. I'll give this one a shot, and I have Flesh and Blood on my to-watch list as well.

Care for some gopher?
I can only encourage you to do that. You should add Black Book, as well.

Joy (2015)

Finished here. It's been fun.
My Darling Clementine*

Don't mind lil ol' me, giving another hyperbolic rating to a Ford film.