Quote from Political Movie?

Tools    

Searching for the movie in which this scene unfolds:

Political candidate is holding a meeting with advisors. One of his friends has just landed in the headlines, and they're going around the room suggesting damage control. The younger advisors are saying deny it, let it blow over. Camera focuses on the older advisor, who most of the younger ones have no respect for. (I visualize Robert Redford, but that could be memory playing tricks.) He says: No, don't deny it. The press will just come up with photos. When asked if he is a friend, say (paraphrasing from memory): "No, he's not a friend. He's a very good friend. And that's why I'm so sad to see him get into this trouble."

Many Google searches have failed to point me in the right direction. Must be 90s or earlier.

In business meetings I've cited this often as advice. Don't give the predictable answer, especially a negative one. Embrace the question, then turn it around. Just wish I could do this with more credibility by referencing the movie. A YouTube clip would be even better!

Hope y'all can help. Thanks!
Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain ... only straw. Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain? Scarecrow: I don't know. But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they? Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

There's a few differences here, so it's a long shot, but I know a lot of these memories merge with others and whatnot so I'll give it a shot: there's a scene in Clear and Present Danger with some similarities, where people debate how to control a possible PR issue and they make the friends/good friends distinction:

Ohmigosh! Shows how memory plays tricks. Not Robert Redford ... Harrison Ford. Exactly the scene I had in mind! Not exactly as I remembered it, but that's definitely it. Will try to find a longer clip ... maybe he throws in the "that's why I'm so sad" part ... THANKS!

(Been a while since I've been here. Not sure if how I mark as answered? Or does admin do this?)

Ohmigosh! Shows how memory plays tricks. Not Robert Redford ... Harrison Ford. Exactly the scene I had in mind! Not exactly as I remembered it, but that's definitely it. Will try to find a longer clip ... maybe he throws in the "that's why I'm so sad" part ... THANKS!
Happy to help! Yeah I always suggest anything kinda the same, I'd say as many people as not in here are merging memories. Makes sense, since by definition it's something they can't remember clearly, or else they wouldn't ask.

(Been a while since I've been here. Not sure if how I mark as answered? Or does admin do this?)
Either works, but you definitely can: there's a link in the header, just below the thread title.

The Candidate (1972)?
Not that one, but another favorite. I've used that final clip, "What do we do now?" as the intro to project post-mortem meetings.

Thanks for the reminder!