A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Do you wanna party? Its party time!
Christmas Evil is pretty good. Maybe near great? I donno but I've seen it twice (second time thanks to Joe Bob Briggs) and I found it to be creepy, unsettling and well done. The finale is nuts.

Latest Movie Viewing: Wings (1927)
Latest Album Listened To: Honky Château, Elton John (1972)
Latest TV Show Viewed: Doctor Who

Autopsy (1975)

Um this has a good opening but it's kinda downhill from there. Still a decent enough flick, but I was hoping for a lot more. The finale is silly to me. 7.5 or 7/10 I guess.

Christmas Evil is by far the best Santa slasher film. More Taxi Driver than Halloween. One of the best endings I’ve seen.

The Night House-Rebecca Hall is fantastic, she elevates some of the weaker material. There is a scene in a book store where she comes off as really sinister and a bit unhinged haha. Although can you blame her? Her husband had a secret life she didn't know about. Is she going crazy, or is there something more at work here? I won't say, yet I found the movie to be pretty good and very satisfying with it's conclusion. Also that folk rock song won't stop playing...

I mean not really horror but I just watched Labyrinth for the first time, mostly so I would have context for the new album from Aurelio Voltaire as it's inspired by the film. The good is the puppets from Jim Henson productions, they are amazing. There are definitely bits that feel pulled nicely from odder/creepier fairy tale lore but the humor is pretty hit or miss and while I found Bowie fine acting wise as the Goblin King the use his music just did not work for me and tended to pull me out of the film. Still glad I saw it even if I just found it OK.

The Strings, 2020

Catherine (Teagan Johnston) is a musician who has split from her band for reasons that are undefined. Wanting a chance to be creatively productive and reset, Catherine rents a remote cottage and sets about composing, drinking too much, and wooing a local photographer, Grace (Jenna Schaefer). But soon Catherine is troubled by the sense that there is something in the house.

Look: I would imagine for a lot of people (in this thread, and generally), this story of a curvy bisexual woman slowly losing her mind while composing electronic/synth music in a dimly lit living room won't exactly push their horror buttons.

But shucks if I didn't enjoy the protagonist, enjoy the music, and enjoy the general vibe of unease that permeated the whole thing.

Johnston is actually a musician, and further she composes and performs music like what we see in the film. Her comfort with that process, and the fact that she has a really nice voice, lends an authenticity to the various sequences of her trying to compose music. So often in movies, "great musicians" are . . . not so great. It was fun to see a real talent playing a musical performer.

I also really enjoyed the atmosphere. This is the kind of movie where the character hears a thump and then looks around, while the camera slowly zooms in on the wall. And . . . that's it. For most of the movie, the instances of haunting/horror are incredibly low-key. But in a very slow but steady way, it all begins to escalate. Catherine has disturbing dreams, waking from them and thinking that she sees a figure watching her. It's just slow enough that you believe a person wouldn't run out of the house screaming, and would just chalk it up to an overactive imagination and stress.

The upside and downside to this film is that for the most part it exists at the same level of intensity, pace, and tone. It's good because it adds to the dream sense of it, but the problem is that the lack of variation can make it all blend together.

I feel like I can confidently recommend this one to @Captain Terror, but I'm not sure if it's "horror enough" for most others in this thread. I definitely enjoyed it. It was a real change of pace with oodles of atmosphere.

Thanks for the rec, liked this one a lot. I agree with most of what you've said here. Kinda hard to recommend this one without some prior indication of the recomendee's patience for such things. Also, we watch her compose entire pieces of music in real time, so I guess one's enjoyment of the film would depend on one's enjoyment of the music. I was into it, to the point where midway through the film I started to think I should get a keyboard (or five).

This is a great example of the Vibe Over Substance© type of film I enjoy, along with maybe I am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House, so I will second Tak's rec for any like-minded readers.

Victim of The Night
Thanks for the rec, liked this one a lot. I agree with most of what you've said here. Kinda hard to recommend this one without some prior indication of the recomendee's patience for such things. Also, we watch her compose entire pieces of music in real time, so I guess one's enjoyment of the film would depend on one's enjoyment of the music. I was into it, to the point where midway through the film I started to think I should get a keyboard (or five).

This is a great example of the Vibe Over Substance© type of film I enjoy, along with maybe I am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House, so I will second Tak's rec for any like-minded readers.
Is this streaming on a service that I might have? My curiosity is piqued.

Dark, 2015

Kate (Whitney Able) lives in an apartment in New York City with her girlfriend Leah (Alexandra Breckenridge). One weekend, while Leah is away, the city experiences a huge blackout. Alone in the apartment, Kate's mental state begins to unravel.

Considering the abysmal 3.5 rating this one has on the IMDb, I was pleasantly surprised by the first act. We begin with a contentious sex scene in which an uncomfortable Leah repeatedly resists Kate's requests for rougher sex. (Okay, I fully endorse not choking people because do not choke people!, but you won't pull her hair? Those are not even in the same realm, friend). If it wasn't obvious enough from the opening scene, we see Kate wait until Leah has left for work before calling to answer Craigslist ads for sublets. Yikes.

From there we see Kate go to work, leading a yoga class where a male student repeatedly tries to get her attention before waiting until after class to explicitly ask her out on a date. Kate turns him down, but when she tells Leah about this interaction, Leah is jealous and hostile. These opening sequences set the scene for Kate's general incompatibility with her relationship and environment. She's in a situation where things aren't right, and she's on that edge of cutting her losses.

Then we swing into the middle act of the film as the power dies during a heat wave, and the film just sort of goes down with the power grid.

At this point we get a series of scenes meant to show the discomfort Kate is made to feel in the city and even her own apartment. First a neighbor, John (Brendan Sexton III, who, I'll tell you right now, is probably the reason I added this to my watchlist) stops by to ask her out for a drink and then will not let her end the conversation, eventually offering to make her and her "roommate" mix CDs before Kate manages to close the door on him. Later she goes to a bar where she meets mysterious Canadian Benoit (Michael Eklund, the man who can look like he's in his 30s or his 60s depending on the lighting), engaging in some serious flirting before he abruptly ends their conversation.

Kate, drunk, makes her way back to the apartment where she basically proceeds to have a breakdown, convinced that someone is watching her and/or trying to get into the apartment.

I really feel for Able, who I think does a good job in her role. She's playing a woman who has moved to New York from West Virginia, and she does a good job of giving you the sense of a person who is going through the motions of a life she wanted, but is fundamentally dissatisfied with that life. Unfortunately, the film stays way too vague. Is Kate suicidal? Is she seriously mentally ill? Is she experiencing hallucinations? What we get is a series of scenes where she's losing it, but it feels very unanchored. And because the movie leans so hard into the idea of her being mentally ill, there's a lack of suspense. There should be a strong sense of vulnerability and isolation due to the blackout and Leah being out of town, but neither of those things come through very well.

There's some talent here, but once the power went out the film steadily lost my interest and also lost its sense of specificity. It's a shame, because the first act made it feel like a tense character study was in the cards. Alas. (I do think that a 3.5 is a bit harsh, but my guess is that a lot of people rating/reviewing are mad that the film is billed as a horror movie but has precious little content that feels "horror").

"Naughty."

Silent Night, Deadly Night (Sellier Jr, 1984)

First time watching. I went with the theatrical version since I heard it had slightly better, or maybe less awful, pacing. I found that despite its big flaw it was a very entertaining and memorable christmas slasher. The big flaw I'm talking about is indeed the pacing, this is simply a way way to long movie for its contents and should have been chopped (snicker) down by a whole lot. This is especially apparent in the opening were we get all the background info we need for the rest of the story. In this part I almost fell asleep as every scene seems to go on forever. And when the first killing scene comes, its impact is also lessend due to slow pace and it loses the sense of action that would have been there otherwise.

When we finally get to meet grown up Billy the movie really gets going. The soundtrack is great, the screenplay is actually really good despite it's exploitation like feel and amateurish nature, the directing is strong and there are many creative and iconic kills. There is almost no suspense to talk about here, but it actually works well without it since it goes for a feel-good kind of slasher. After all, it's the season to be merry. The ending scene is perfect. Can't help but feeling this movie could have been legendary if released as a ~50 minute short film instead of it's 79 minute run time. Let me know if the sequels are worth watching!

Hatching -

This is a decent Finnish horror movie about the divide that forms between what we're really like and how we want to be perceived: in other words, social media. Sophia Heikkila's tiger mom, for instance, rules her nuclear family with an iron fist - much to the chagrin of her gymnast daughter, Tinja - which is something she conveniently omits from her new vlog. It only takes a rogue bird to fly into their pristine house and cause massive destruction to demonstrate the flimsiness of the facade. Tinja takes one of the bird's eggs to her room, which hatches...let's just say not quite a bird. Hopefully not to spoil it too much, but think a creature along the lines of Obama's anger translator from Key & Peele.

Having watched a fair share of vlogs, I've always wondered if the relationships they depict are really that healthy and perfect, which this movie also asks and in a darkly funny way. If you're wondering if the mother isn't exactly a loyal wife and has selfish reasons for expecting Tinja to be the next Simone Biles, you'd be right. Similar divides appear in subtle, obvious and always amusing ways, which besides the family's J. Crew catalog appearance include highlights like the dad spraying pesticide on a rose bush over the grave of a recently murdered pet. Speaking of, as much as it chills me to see animals die in movies, I admire this one's boldness in not censoring the gristy bits. As for the performances, they're all fine, with Heikkila's sinister, plastered smile matriarch being my favorite. Despite the movie's timely subject matter and everything I like about it, it's a little too reliant on clichés in its genre that I've tired of for me to consider it great. One horror movie like it that also has a dysfunctional family, bullies, a girl who's the only one willing to be the protagonist's friend, etc. called You are Not My Mother came out not long before this one. Plus, while it may be unfair to judge the special effects of a movie with likely a much lower budget than those of other modern creature features, the mid-2000's SyFy channel-grade look of Tinja's "pet" produced a few unintentional laughs. It's still very much worth checking out, especially if you, like me, cannot see enough movies that skewer social media. Oh, and you'll never look at bird seed the same way again.

I just can’t get into Christmas-themed horror movies. Always feels like a stunt that’s been done too many times.

I just can’t get into Christmas-themed horror movies. Always feels like a stunt that’s been done too many times.
Christmas-themed, or just taking place at Christmas? Because you love the original Black Christmas, right?

Right?

Shark Side of the Moon (C-)

Soviet human-shark hybrids break out of containment, but are thankfully lured into a rocket going to the moon. They see a way out in the new American moon mission. Hijinks ensue.

It starts off well and cheesy, like a good Asylum flick. So much so that you would expect the movie to be going the route of an overly self-aware mess like Sharknado, trying too hard to be funny. Thankfully, the movie doesn't do that. Unfortunately, the reason it's not funny is because it goes the dramatic route, and takes a real long time with the story of the father and half-shark daughter on the moon. It's tedious overall.

Amityville Horror, 1979 (B)

Good enough. It didn't work super well for me, but it's a decent film.

"Naughty."

Silent Night, Deadly Night (Sellier Jr, 1984)

First time watching. I went with the theatrical version since I heard it had slightly better, or maybe less awful, pacing. I found that despite its big flaw it was a very entertaining and memorable christmas slasher. The big flaw I'm talking about is indeed the pacing, this is simply a way way to long movie for its contents and should have been chopped (snicker) down by a whole lot. This is especially apparent in the opening were we get all the background info we need for the rest of the story. In this part I almost fell asleep as every scene seems to go on forever. And when the first killing scene comes, its impact is also lessend due to slow pace and it loses the sense of action that would have been there otherwise.

When we finally get to meet grown up Billy the movie really gets going. The soundtrack is great, the screenplay is actually really good despite it's exploitation like feel and amateurish nature, the directing is strong and there are many creative and iconic kills. There is almost no suspense to talk about here, but it actually works well without it since it goes for a feel-good kind of slasher. After all, it's the season to be merry. The ending scene is perfect. Can't help but feeling this movie could have been legendary if released as a ~50 minute short film instead of it's 79 minute run time. Let me know if the sequels are worth watching!

I've only seen part 2 for the sequels. It... was painful to watch shortly after the first one. A year later, it's a little more bearable on a surprise rewatch, but I still couldn't call it good.
The first half is a flashback, clip-job of the first movie. The first half.
The next quarter is continuing the flashback narrative, but is a new story.
And then finally you get a continuous narrative.
Maybe other people have a more charitable take.

Well, now I feel a bit silly about thinking it's a stretch to call movies like Silence of the Lamb a horror film. I thought Giallo was a much broader term, though I was aware of the yellow books and hidden gloved killers. I just thought it was a typical element, not a necessary one.

One thing I forgot to mention about City of the Living Dead; the coffin scene might be the most tense scene I've seen in a movie, geez Louise.
Yeah, like all genre classifications, there are examples that stretch it, but I think in all of them there's at least one of the following:
a central, driving mystery (usually revolving around a crime. almost always a murder or a death).

a mysterious killer... which actually could be considered driving the first point.
I'm thinking A Quiet Place in the Country as probably being one of the biggest stretches. City of the Living Dead... I think that'd be like calling Day of the Dead a slasher (which is a subgenre whose classification some of us have also argued over on this forum).

Silent Night, Deadly Night 2 is hilarious and over the top in a fun way. 3 is dumb but it has some alright moments. I quit after 4 which not only sucked but had nothing to do with Xmas whatsoever.

30th Hall of Fame (REWATCH)

Candyman (1992) - Either
or
. I'll just say
for now.

*SPOILER WARNING*

When I first watched this, I felt some of its social commentary went over my head, but having read some reviews since then and having watched the recent film, I felt I had a decent understanding of what the film was going for. So yeah, I was looking forward to rewatching this. To my surprise though, its themes didn't come together for me with this rewatch and the character motivations felt kind of muddled and unclear in the end. I like the characterization of Candyman as a slasher of sorts who only kills people to make sure enough people believe in him, but the more I watched the second half, the more I found myself asking "How does any of this accomplish his goal?" The various murders he committed throughout the second half were all set up to make it look like Helen committed them, so how these killings were supposed to get people to believe in him again was beyond me. Then, when the film moved to the final act, his intentions suddenly changed to him destroying himself and making Helen into the new Candyman. And this is fine and all, but if that was actually his initial goal, why did he go through all that trouble in the second half when he likely had the power to kill Helen right away? I think the idea of a white person stealing an urban legend popular amongst black people is a good concept as it adds to the theme of black struggle, but Candyman's behavior/killing patterns were too random and shapeless for those themes to come together.

I'll give the film credit where it's due though as its strengths are quite plentiful. Firstly, while it's clear the film will be a horror film, I found it impressive how the changeover in the second half still came as a surprise and managed to change the tone without causing any dissonance in the process. Also, I'm not sure if the accounts of Virginia Madsen being hypnotized are true, but regardless of how the effect was achieved, the various close-up shots of her face looked terrific. Her forlorn and dazed expressions suited the film very well and were impressive to watch. I also enjoyed how the film didn't jump into the horror right away and took its time to introduce us to certain characters and provided enough time for the urban legend/settings to sink in. The early scenes at the Cabrini-Green Homes project, in particular, were rather memorable. Finally, the gore and the soundtrack were both great. Anyways, I don't know how much this reads as a positive review, but even though I elaborated a bit more on what I didn't like, I did enjoy the film. Again, the first half was very good and, issues aside, the second half its moments as well. I was just hoping for the film to come together better.