The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Grease is an intetestimg one for me. It was the first VHS my sister and I ever had and we had to have watched it 20 times. I no longer consider it a favorite but I know it by heart and am glad it is here. Never plan to see it again though.

Holden already indicated it. Le Cercle Rouge was on my list at #13! I might put it even higher, if I had to make the list today (possibly top 10). It's an amazing film. It's one of the most satisfying exercices in pure style and coolness EVER!

This is what I wrote about it after I first watched it:

An absolutely fantastic motion picture! It's directed with a superb eye for detail and an even better eye for coolness by the great Jean-Pierre Melville (I also enjoyed his The Samouraï a lot). Despite this truly being a "director's film", I've also discovered one of my new favorite charismatic actors! I already watched him in Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources and liked him there, but in this film he is THE MAN! I'm talking of course about Yves Montand. He plays an alcoholic ex-cop who is a master at handling guns. He doesn't have the largest role in this film, but everytime he appears on screen, his tons of charisma shine through. I'll definitely watch some of his other praised pictures in the near future.
He's not the only one who's great in this of course. The whole cast does a brilliant job!

All in all, it's the style and the sophisticated atmosphere that make this film such a masterpiece. I beg you people, see this before you send in your '70s list! This is one of those films that has to be seen by every fan of cinema. This is filmmaking at its best!

Magnificent movie!

As you can see, I was quite enthusiastic about it.
My personal favorite moment of the film is probably seeing Yves Montand's character melting his own bullets. It's a really simple scene, but he does it with so much flair and precision and it's filmed in such an atmospheric manner... Sheer brilliance. I also love the scene when he's visiting the jewelry store. Oh well, the film is full of great scenes. It's really difficult to pick a favorite. The actual heist sequence is of course the real climax of the film. Unrivaled in its genre.

----------------------------

I'm also a big fan of Grease. It's a childhood favorite in every sense of the word and when my sisters start watching it, I can't help but stay and watch it with them. The songs are also very memorable and I'm still not sick of them!

SEEN: 17/42

100. Logan's Run -

98. Being There -

97. Fantastic Planet -
+
96. All That Jazz -
#12 on my list!
87. Saturday Night Fever -

84. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie -

82. F for Fake -
#17 on my list!
78. MASH -
+ #19 on my list!
77. Mean Streets -
-
76. Hausu -

74. Paper Moon -

71. The Conformist -
+ #21 on my list!
70. Mad Max –
-
66. Animal House -
-
64. The Last Picture Show -
+
60. Le Cercle Rouge –
(+) #13 on my list !
59. Grease –
+

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Le Cercle Rouge was also the winner of the 2012 MOFO Movie Tournament, so its no surprise to see it here. I still haven't gotten around to it.

Haven't seen Le Cercle Rouge.

I hate Grease. I hate musicals in general, but that one's pretty much on the bottom of the barrel... of hate.

My List
1. Didn't Make The Cut
6. Paper Moon (#74)
12. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (#68)
22. Hausu (#76)
23. Mad Max (#70)
25. Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo (1 point, not on the countdown)

It's really painful to see Grease in front of the best heist movie of all time.

Le Cercle Rouge was #6 on my list it's a total masterpiece.

Tow films I haven't seen, one that I'd love to watch, the other I'm avoiding. I've been meaning to watch Le Cercle Rouge since it won the 2012 movie tournament. Grease, anytime I go to Mexico they do a play of Grease, I didn't like it the first time and I can't stand even watching any of it anymore. Granted this is the play, but it has revolted me from anything Grease.

As a nice Mormon man I met in Mexico put it:
"Grease is about a nice girl turning into a skank"

Raul, you really don't think Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory will make it? Come on man.