Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

And I don't know what country the person who asked about this film is from but they can tell you if they actually get IFC films released in their country.
Again, the fact that IFC releases it in the US doesn't have to do with what happens in the rest of the world. It's not a film that IFC produced, they only got rights to the US/UK.

The fact that it's an independent film from Australia does have to do a lot with the kind of distribution that it gets. And also the fact that it relies heavily on knowledge and familiarity with the American TV system - which may or may not influence the interest of audiences abroad for this kind of film.

And for what it's worth, of the films that IFC has distributed in the US, this easily had one of their biggest openings ever - almost $3 million on its opening weekend.

So, again, whatever happens in the rest of the world will have to do with the nature of the film itself, not with who got the rights to show it in the US.

Hope that clears it up!

Leprechaun Returns 8/10
The Gingerdead Man 2/10

Poor Things (2023)

Gave this one a try after all of the Oscar nominations and wins, and I am certainly glad I did. The trailer doesn't give you much to go on, but I recommend this to anyone above the age of 18 haha...think of it as a twist on a Frankenstein kind of story.

Everything is so simplistic yet complicated. Immature, raw, analytical...from the comedy to the philosophical elements. It is a bit longer than it probably needs to be at 2+ hours, but it's such a uniquely strange movie that should be seen by all film fans. Delighted!
I liked it too…a link to my review:

https://www.movieforums.com/reviews/...or_things.html

The Odessa File (1974)

Pretty impressive account of the novel by Frederick Forsyth on the basis of active Nazis during the 2nd world war. Jon Voight does a good job as the "freelance" journalist who goes on to infiltrate the organisation using the help of the Israeli state and the Simon Wiesenthal organisation. It's not great but it holds the attention.

Poor Things 8.5/10 Another one of my favorite movies from last year. Directed by one of my favorite directors in recent years Yorgos Lanthimos and starring emma stone, who's delightfully hilarious and Mark Ruffalo who delivered his funniest performance ever
Event Horizon 8/10 This has been on my watchlist for about 10 years, i'm glad i finally watched it, pure entertainment from start to finish
Dungeons & Dragons: Honour Among Thieves 8/10 Loved this way more than i thought i would since I've never played the game or had any interest in it, but the movie is great fun

ICEMAN
(2017, Randau)

"Your soul became free."

Back in 1991, the mummified remains of a man were discovered in the Ötzal Alps, with a fatal arrow injury on the shoulder as well as other wounds. The well-preserved state in which he was found as well as the nature of his injuries sparked much speculation about his life and death. Iceman is an example of that as it creates a story around the man and what could've led to his murder.

Set more than 5,300 years ago, in the Neolithic period, the film follows Kelab (Jürgen Vogel), the leader of a primitive clan. When a group of men attack their settlement killing everybody, Kelab sets out to get revenge at all cost. But there's a popular quote that says "Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves". Will he be willing to pay that cost?"

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

I forgot the opening line.

By https://press.searchlightpictures.com/all-us-strangers/, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=74698852

All of Us Strangers - (2023)

Imagine, at the age of 12, saying goodbye to your parents one festive season as they leave to go to a friend's place, and never seeing them again when they die in a car crash on the way home. There's a pain that would never leave me. It explains why television screenwriter Adam (Andrew Scott) is as cut off from the world as he is, although the fact that he grew up gay during a time when that made him a subject of ridicule at school didn't help. After meeting, and at first rejecting, Harry (Paul Mescal) he goes back to his childhood home and again meets his parents as they were when they died. Through this, Adam tries to resolve all of the issues he's never managed to have closure on throughout the years. It's as sad, painful and contemplative as you'd expect - a reminder for us not to close doors on people who may just be needing that moment of kindness to keep them going in this cold and lonely world. A powerful, thought-provoking film.

8/10

By http://www.impawards.com/2023/knock_...abin_ver3.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=72371404

Knock at the Cabin - (2023)

Just the barest hint of the premise : Eric (Jonathan Groff) and husband Andrew (Ben Aldridge) are vacationing with their adopted daughter, Wen, at a remote cabin when four strangers come carrying bladed weapons, demanding to be let in. They have a proposition and demand which is both terrifying and unbelievable. As is common with M. Night Shyamalan (call it "The M. Night Shyamalan Irony") most of his film is compelling, exciting and a great watch - but it's the ending which doesn't quite finish it off with a great flourish to my satisfaction. After his amazing Sixth Sense ending (and, I have to say, Unbreakable's ending isn't too bad) it's something that Shyamalan has struggled with forever after. Overall though, this is a solid enough thriller/horror film in my book - enough so that I'm interested in what this guy does next. The way he's veered into genre-like territory has been good for him.

6/10

By The poster art can or could be obtained from the distributor., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=56969457

First Reformed - (2017)

A pastor whose son died in Iraq and who has lost his wife regains a purpose in life after meeting a despairing environmentalist - but his newfound passion may end up pushing him over the edge. A surprising slow burn that gets to the point and touches a deep nerve. Full review here, in my watchlist thread.

8/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Into the wild 9/10

Did not know any of that. i'll have to watch Certain Women
I’ve seen it a couple of times.

https://www.criterion.com/films/29212-certain-women

Such a weird movie from Oslo. I really enjoyed this strange storyline. Lead actress is very good.

@AgrippinaX would enjoy this I think.

1st Rewatch...If you liked the first movie, you will be as disappointed as I was with this sequel that has absolutely nothing to do with the first film. Our heroes (Jason Bateman, Jason Sudeikis, Charlie Day) decide to open their own business but have it stolen from them by an unscrupulous billionaire (Oscar winner Christoph Waltz). They decide to get it back with the aid of the bad guy's spoiled son (Chris Pine). This movie is silly and way over the top, it feels like they were making it up as they went along. Day's annoyance factor is particularly annoying. The only thing that works for me in this film is the razor sharp performance by Chris Pine.

6th Rewatch...Director Tim Burton knocks it out of the park with this still dark and stylish reincarnation of the Bob Kane comic book character that started a brand new franchise of the character. Michael Keaton makes a lonely and vulnerable Bruce Wayne/Caped Crusader and Jack Nicholson was robbed of the Outstanding Lead Actor of 1989 Oscar for his mesmerizing Joker (apologies to Daniel Day Lewis). Production design and Prince's song score are assets as well and help to make this movie the same ridiculously entertaining comic book romp it was back in '89.

Such a weird movie from Oslo. I really enjoyed this strange storyline. Lead actress is very good.

@AgrippinaX would enjoy this I think.
I did really enjoy it, too! Saw it in the theatre when it first came out. Triangle of Sadness felt thematically similar and came out around the same time (I think?) — I enjoyed that a hair more, but both delightfully bizarre, just as I like ‘em.

I did really enjoy it, too! Saw it in the theatre when it first came out. Triangle of Sadness felt thematically similar and came out around the same time (I think?) — I enjoyed that a hair more, but both delightfully bizarre, just as I like ‘em.
I think I saw Triangle, but can’t remember a single scene.

2nd Rewatch...This rewatch made me realize I might have been a little tougher on this film in my original review than it deserves, but only a little bit. The supporting cast is relatively solid, especially Collin Quinn as Amy's father and Brie Larson as her sister. I have to confess that it wasn't until this rewatch that I realized that was Oscar winner Tilda Swinton playing Amy's boss and Bill Hader was a perfect leading man. Amy is the problem here, she's just not a very good actress and combine that with this really annoying character that kept pushing this perfect guy away, throw in a ridiculously useless narration and the vehicle that was meant to make Amy Shumer a movie star was an epic fail. The film also feels four hours long, but that's a staple of any film directed by Judd Apatow.

Horror Rises from the Tomb (1973) Watched on Tubi. Stylish, good bloody fun. Nice sets and an atmospheric and effective score. I liked the cinematography too.

Panic in Year Zero! (1962)

The granddaddy of social-breakdown films, Panic in Year Zero! still plays fairly well 6 decades after it was made, making obvious allowances for the inherently patriarchal nature of American society at the time.

If it seems like a bit of a time capsule, well, it's definitely that, but it is an interesting time capsule, containing every bit of the anxiety over the possibility of nuclear armageddon and what it would do to American society.

Ray Milland is in fine form as the dad taking his family out for a nice excursion near Southern California who has to keep his wits together when the unimaginable happens... conveniently after they have put enough distance between themselves and the rain of nukes.

The minimalist production values don't detract from the appeal of the movie; if anything, it almost makes it more realistic than a studio-produced movie with dated special effects would be today. The American-International film was originally released to theaters as a a double feature with Tales of Horror.

Added bonus for Frankie Avalon fans: he plays the dutiful son who must back up his dad as they survey the unknown wilderness where they have decided to settle temporarily until someone figures out what the hell has happened and what to do about it.

Nuclear (2020)

Odd little thriller where a mother and daughter are trying to recover from the violent actions of a son and step-brother whilst on hideout near an ex Nuclear processing plant. It's spooky in a certain way but the whole background is vague in the extreme.