Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Finished here. It's been fun.

Red Beard

A stirring experience, and the most emotional Kurosawa I've seen yet. There is no greater joy in life than being a wonderful human-being and helping others. What a lovely film.

Be a freak, like me too
I agree with you. Red Beard isn't one of the most famous film of Kurosawa but it's a remarkable film and I think it's one of my favorite Kurosawa.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I like your thoughts on that first movie there, ed, glad you finally got around to it - and even liked it as well.
your avatar had been a constant reminder in a very good way on how much I needed to finally watch this

Always enjoy the Coen Brothers; bit of a fan. I even watch the Fargo TV series on FX, which is in its 3rd season and I think NCFOM is one of the few Coen flicks I had missed and now will be joining the REWATCH list

Correction: 2nd season. THANKS False!

your avatar had been a constant reminder in a very good way on how much I needed to finally watch this

Always enjoy the Coen Brothers; bit of a fan. I even watch the Fargo TV series on FX, which is in its 3rd season and I think NCFOM is one of the few Coen flicks I had missed and now will be joining the REWATCH list
I'm a big fan of the Fargo TV show also! Oh and don't mean to sound like a douche but there's only been 2 seasons so far.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I'm a big fan of the Fargo TV show also! Oh and don't mean to sound like a douche but there's only been 2 seasons so far.
appreciate the correction, THANKS
That's right! When they did that year later bit I kept thinking it was a second season
and apparently, i still do

I have to return some videotapes.
I also really enjoy it! I got the blu-ray of season 1 and plan on getting it for s2. They're just too late on TV for me.

Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation

Overall, Ghost Protocol almost got kicked out of its statement as the best Mission:Impossible.

From what the trailers showed, I expected the movie to be CGI-filled and to be a major flop. Turns out it's the opposite. Of course, there was CGI, but in very limited amount and was perfectly blended-in with the images to make it more realistic. The acting was very good and I personally enjoyed the scene where Simon Pegg nearly screams at Cruise to let him choose to follow him. I thought it gave a more important role to Pegg than previousely. The action sequences were masterfully crafted and, for once since the burj khalifa scene, things really did seem impossible, especially the scene underwater. The use of practical effects and locations is not to be forgotten either. Cruise really DID hang from that plane and really DID hold his breath for 4 mins. There were a lot of good shots, cinematography, and, to say the truth, this movie was just almost perfect.

Almost...that explains my only flaw: a part of the ending and the villain. Of all the Mission:Impossible I've seen, that is 4/5, the villain is always someone smarter but not physically challenging, that is maybe except in Ghost Protocol. In this one, the same thing happens. At thee end, the villain says he needs Cruise alive but for no reason whatsoever starts shooting at him later on. I did get a little cheesed when the final showdown of the girl vs the bone doctor happened. I mean, it was kinda predictable:
WARNING: "spoilers" spoilers below
The girl fights the guy, ching ching ching, the girl gets a few ounches, cuts him a little, jumps on him and kills him. The end.
That wasn.t really challenging to her either. I hoped McQuarrie would fix that by either
WARNING: "spoilers" spoilers below
killing thee girl or, that would've been more aawesomely unexpected yet. kill Ethan (you may wonder why this is in a spoiler box, but by telling this, you know what happens).

Anyway, it's a very good movie and makes it into my "2015 best of" list. I give it a

Tucker & Dale vs Evil

Overall, it was just a fun, anti-clichés, horror-comedy film.

In this movie, a horror story is told the other way: instead of the woodchoppers being the bad guys, the "bad guys" become the teenagers who misjudge them and are persuaded that they are psycho-killers. This movie offers stuff deeper than any horror-comedy would normally deliver. There is heart, joy, sadness (like...real sadness...not only a random teen girl crying around...) and even at some point romance. The movie really made me care for the main misunderstood characters, especially Dale who's just a man that's never been able to grow from his childhood shyness.

There are also a few scares but what really fits it in as a good movie are the anti-clichés and the comedy. I gave this movie a 9.8/10, and since there's nothing like it here, I'll give it a

The Matrix

Overall, a little disappointed.

I saw some clips of this movie and reviews where people said it was a pioneer in cinematic action films. Well, I watched it expecting that...and in fact it is...but only in the action SCENES, not the movie overall. Far from being the greatest action movie ever, this movie still has some accurate moves and incredible CGI for its time, but some of the dialogue is really REALLY cheesy and the acting isn't that good either.

All fabulous moves and bullet-time apart, this movie isn't something really awesome and didn't make me feel paranoid because of its plot (which at some moments is kinda weak) and its idea. Instead, I was quite disappointed watching it, that's why I give it a

The Sheepman (1958)

Glenn Ford and Shirley MacClaine are the headliners in this comic Western, with the comedy mostly coming in the first half, with Western action in the second half. Ford is the sheepman of the title, bringing his flock to graze in cattle country which of course angers the cattlemen. But the way Ford establishes himself in the first half is aces. He asks who the toughest guy in town is and proceeds to beat him down, finds the town "character" who knows everyone in town and pays him to spy on them for him, and basically gets the drop on everyone who is against him because he's that smart. Things don't go as well for him in the second half as the bad guys disrupt his way of doing things. But rest assured that Ford will get the better of them before all is said and done.

Ford is smooth and laid-back, never shouting or brash, just doing what he says he'll do and doing it well; MacClaine is fine and cute as the fiance of the town cattle baron, played straight and evil by Leslie Nielsen. Nielsen also happens to be an old friend of Ford, but they clash. Great character actor Mickey Shaughnessy is fun as the town tough guy who is always getting embarrassed and shown up by Ford; Edgar Buchanan is a hoot as the "town character" that Ford picks out immediately; Slim Pickens has a small but funny role as the town sheriff who goes fishing every time trouble starts in town. At 85 minutes, it's a lean picture, directed by the talented George Marshall, with beautiful Colorado scenery to behold.

Repo Man (1984)

Crazy, off-the-wall, whackadoodle, off-kilter (use your own adjective here after watching) piece of cinema. Emilio Estevez is a new employee at an agency that, naturally, repossesses cars. Harry Dean Stanton is his mentor, but Estevez soon finds out that Stanton and everybody in the place are grumpy, out for themselves, violent, etc. The main "MacGuffin" of the film is a Chevy Malibu that has something mysterious in its trunk. Even though it's the main object of the repo people and the government, all through the movie the car and its driver pass right by the pursuers as they get involved in some other crazy business. That's as good as I can describe the movie. Everything is crazy, there are loads of coincidences, and the movie never flags. I wouldn't exactly recommend it but I'm glad I watched it. It was very enjoyable for whatever the heck it was.

Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001)

At the same time Disney's greatest and weakest achievement...

Disney went all-in with this one, firstly creating a visual look of its own with creative backdrops and interesting cuts and directing and with characteristic characters based on edgy and rough shapes. The world-building is generally pretty solid and the character development is surprisingly well-done. Even the script might be Disney's most daring yet in terms of grown-up humor and general writing that will surpass children's understandings.

So what failed? The fact that they didn't go that extra mile and the fact that it actually changed focus too many times during production. At first it was supposed to be an action-adventure but that was changed a bit, which shows, because the beginning and end is bloated and all over the place while the middle is actually the interesting part. Also, it suffers from short length, since you can feel a much greater universe hidden inside this film. The overall feel of the movie comes off as some kind of adult anime to me, which I found out made sense since it was largely inspired from an anime I can't remember the name of.

Anyways, this movie could have been great but unfortunately it fails way too many places which is such a shame since I actually loved several places throughout. My impression at the end is undeniable though; I was disappointed, let-down and too annoyed by what I didn't like. Props to Disney for changing up their game for the third or fourth time in a row though...

+

The Set-Up (1949)

Directed by Robert Wise

Robert Ryan
Audrey Totter
George Tobias

Huge fan of film noir. Not everyone's thing but I'm a junkie and this is one of the better examples of the genre. The acting and story are solid but the cinematography steals the show.

Edgar Allan Poe

Welcome to the human race...
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot -

All things considered, I think I might be getting bored with Clint Eastwood movies.

Gooble gobble, one of us!
Youth (2015, Paolo Sorrentino)

By far the best film I have seen so far this year. Beautiful images with Felliniesque dream-like scenes. Bizaare modern humor. Brilliant choice in music, ranging from modern pop to classical. Deeply emotional scenes with phenomenal acting (especially from Michael Caine). This film is just so memorable.

I haven't seen Sorrentino's other films, however I will check out more of him. I know that "The Great Beauty" was also directed by him and is supposely great. I didn't even notice this director untill now, but I will definitely keep an eye on him from now on.

Has anyone else seen this?

Inside Out (2015)

This film is a wonderful return to form for Pixar that hits a home run in almost every category. Talented voice actors, great animation, inventive storyline, manages to make audiences emotional without being a full-out tearjerker, and a touching musical score. It was also nice to see my home state (Minnesota) get a little love.