Favorite Artwork/Artist

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I may have missed it, but I didn't see a thread where members could share some of their favorite works of art. I thought I'd start one and begin with probably my favorite artist, Vincent van Gogh. I didn't really develop a strong affinity for his art until after I was fortunate enough to see a traveling exhibit at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. It was then that my mind was blown.

Here are two of my fave van Goghs. I did see the second one live.

The Cafe Terrace at Arles at Night

Skull of a Skeleton With Burning Cigarette

You stole my choice. It has, and probably always will be, Van Gogh. When I was a little kid I was messing around with water colors and just decided to randomly paint a night sky on a cheap piece of cardboard. I showed it to my mom, who informed me that it looked a lot like "Starry Night." Of course, my swirly motions were more the result of simply being a kid than anything skillful, but they did look alike, and "Starry Night" has been my favorite painting ever since. Heck, it's even the wallpaper on my cell phone.

Your right, Caity. I see it now. The thread is called Art Gallery. You can move it over there, and I'll reword my first paragraph.

I thought we had another thread or two on art... but am just going to post the links here because I really see no reason we can't start another one....

This thread was to post favorite art work in….

Art Gallery

And this thread was to post MoFo members art… and believe me, we have had and still have some talent on this board….

MoFo Art Gallery

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I have a tonne of favorite artists. However, i have one in particular I think you'll all thank me for introducing if you don't already know her. She is a photographer and a director and has won numerous awards for her work. She has a very dark and surreal feeling to her work and you have to check her out. Her name is Floria Sigismondi. Please check out her work, you will be blown away by her style.

Some really great choices guys… As I stated in one of the other threads, one of my favorites is Salvador Dali… I used to have a print of his painting, The Temptation of St. Anthony hanging in my living room…

I've never really formed opinions on pieces of fine art. Even though I've never found any art style with personal significance or weight or that makes me want to gaze at it for a long period of time, there are some times when I come across art that wish I could draw like (always illustration). The example I think about the most is Machi Abe's drawings for her husband's novel, Woman in the Dunes.

Haunted Heart, Beautiful Dead Soul
i am a huge fan of jasmine griffin beckett. in fact i am thinking of getting a tattoo of her work

then i have a love of the classic artists like monet and cassett which i have seen first hand

in fact in my kitchen, the backsplash is all my fave artists' prints i found at walamart for a dollar and then i found a dollar frame for them. i have 13 so i can change them up a bit when i get tired of the line-up!!!

Can't say this is my favorite because I don't think about artwork enough, but....

Fifi (1973)
by Ed Paschke

I've seen this at the Hirshhorn Museum in Washington D.C. and I even have a picture of me standing next to it, which I would have posted if I was on the computer that has the picture. It's very striking... makes me think of The Rocky Horror Picture Show... it's like Magenta meets Frank N Furter.

Love those eMilee... especially Monet! And wow Sexy... I love FiFi... and the first thing I thought of when I saw it was Rocky Horror...

7thson, do you know who did the tree? It 'tis very cool....

I love art so you guys may get sick of me in here....

Dean Morrissey

Ruth Sanderson

Haunted Heart, Beautiful Dead Soul
hey chick! i found it on this website:http://www.coolopticalillusions.com/...d-illusion.htm

its not actually a painting but its an awesome art none the less. and ur art choices are amazing esp. the bottom one of ur last post!

this is another favorite artist: mc escher

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

The Cheyenne, Frederic Remington, 1901

Jaguar Attacking a Horse, Henri Rousseau, 1910

Drat! I had a few more good ones, but those other images are just too small or washed-out. Maybe I'll find a way to scan them in.

Kara Walker

Saw her work at SF MOMA many years ago and I was really blown away. She's getting
quite a bit of recognition lately, and it's well-deserved.

I am half agony, half hope.
Marc Chagall. Brilliant use of color, and nice rounded figures, again, for me. I don't like rough edges or sharp points unless architecture is involved.