The Old Vs the New (music)

Tools    

My friend has been complaining endlessly about the music we have nowadays. She said she can't stand the music cos they all make absolutely no sense whatsoever. Personally I don't think it's that bad, although i do think a lot of them only has a couple of notes running through the whole song...is that even music?

Originally Posted by quiball
My friend has been complaining endlessly about the music we have nowadays. She said she can't stand the music cos they all make absolutely no sense whatsoever. Personally I don't think it's that bad, although i do think a lot of them only has a couple of notes running through the whole song...is that even music?
which kind of music has she been complaining about? there's so many categories out there now

i do listen to some of the newer stuff (coldplay, matchbox 20, creed) but i grew up with and still prefer the older rock and roll...(fleetwood mac, cream, eagles, blind faith, derek and the dominos, rem, who, etc)

Mainstream music has become even more streamlined over the last decade or so, than it was before, but that doesn't mean that music in general is less interesting, it just means you have to put more effort into finding good music.
And sawdust restaurants with oyster shells

From The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock by T.S.Eliot

Originally Posted by susan
which kind of music has she been complaining about? there's so many categories out there now

i do listen to some of the newer stuff (coldplay, matchbox 20, creed) but i grew up with and still prefer the older rock and roll...(fleetwood mac, cream, eagles, blind faith, derek and the dominos, rem, who, etc)
I think she's talking about the R&B and some of pop stuff. I haven't heard her complaining too much about rock

Mainstream music a great deal worse nowadays. Music in general is not.

Most new rock bands sound the same and they have these horrible droning vocals. And its always about their girl leaving them or something. Most of the stuff I listen to personally isn't popular radio stuff. I've given up on the radio. I would much rather pop in a cd of something I like, than take a chance with the radio and hear a bunch of crap that I don't like that sounds the same.
"What you have lost will not be returned to you. It will always be lost. You're left with only your scars to mark the void. All you can choose to do is go on or not. But if you go on, it's knowing you carry your scars with you." -Charles Frazier

"I would kill someone in front of their own mama for a ten speed. And if anyone testifies against me I'll gouge their eyes out."

I must become Caligari..!
Nowadays music is terrible (in comparison to other eras), Especially Mainstream/Pop music, There are only a few good bands that are in their prime around now. Looking at my top 13 Rock bands list (Located Here ), Only 3 of them are still together (The Cure, Sonic Youth and The Living End) and they are far from their prime.

It also seems that mainstream music is getting worse and worse.
It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...

Don't always take me seriously...
I listen to alot of early 90's stuff. Late 80's/Early 90's Grunge and Rap.

Originally Posted by Henry The Kid
Mainstream music a great deal worse nowadays. Music in general is not.
That's about how I feel about it.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Originally Posted by Fall-from-Grace
Most new rock bands sound the same and they have these horrible droning vocals. And its always about their girl leaving them or something. Most of the stuff I listen to personally isn't popular radio stuff. I've given up on the radio. I would much rather pop in a cd of something I like, than take a chance with the radio and hear a bunch of crap that I don't like that sounds the same.
I agree totally. I have a TON of cd's so I never have to listen to the radio ever again! lol. (Actually, try litening to Launchcast internet radio. you list a bunch of bands you like and they find a lot of stuff you have never heard before that you might end up liking. I have found a lot of great music that way.)

Here's something that i noticed today. in all the whiny break-up songs, the men are all, "I'm Sorry," and the women are all "You suck and you're stupid I am glad to be rid of you." Why don't the women apologize every now and then? Us guys aren't ALWAYS wrong!

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

1) 60s (Dylan, Hendrix, Beatles)
2) 90s (Nirvana, NIN, Alice in Chains)
3) 50s (Elvis, Chuck Berry, Little Richard)
3) 70s (Zep, Floyd, Elton John)
4) 80s (Metallica, GnR, Michael Jackson)
5) 00s (Outkast, ummmmm.... Eminem even though he is better in 90s, ummmmmm ya whats that group that had that one decent song?)

Bruce Campbell Groupie
I can't remember the last time I listened to the radio. If I'm not listening to my CD's than I'm channel surfing the music channels, listening to whatever I want to from them.

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
Im in England and we've got some pretty decent new bands out but i guess it depends on the kinda music you're into. New bands like Franz Ferdinand, Keane, The Libertines and some from across the pond like the Scissor Sisters, The Killers, Yellowcard. I think just as some music stars are going out younger ones are coming in with something different, you just have to look for it.

coke kills drink pepsi
Id have to say old music. Old musi as in 60's and 70's. When music was just music and rock, jazz, and funk were the predominant music. Now adays everything sounds the same.

Even though I'm relativally young, older music rocks and rolls (all night and party every day). I can't stand rap nless it's Insane Clown Posse.

im a huge fan of hip hop music. But today i cant stand it. its 97% garbag. it used to be great written lyrics and away to express yourself but today it all the same. i hate rappers like 50 cent, Ludacris, TI, Lil John, Nelly ect. there music is completly horrible. There are a few exceptions. but for the most part it sucks. All i hear on the radio and in school is how these guys are so good. if you want to listen to real hip hop then listen to Slick Rick, Krs-one, LL cool j(old stuff, his new is also bad), Leaders of the new school, Black sheep, chubb rock, Craig mack this is classic quality hip hop.

Toss your radio into the poo-pen. I can't even begin to grasp the amount of fury I have, and get, when I think of music on the radio. And I'm sorry, for the most part, to those few bands that are good that get played out on the radio [old sh*t I'm not even gonna list]. But as for this new crap'o'la, I mean seriously. Jessica Simpson, and now her sister? Her sister doesn't even wear the shirts that show off her knockers. If her selling over a million records doesn't show how much this mainstream/F.M./tv thing works [talent isn't needed, just some huge knockers or ties to some money hungry dorks] then I don't know what does. I would have rather seen Micheal Fatty-Moore make a movie about the politcal games within the mainstream advertising companies. That would have been some good stuff? Has anyone done that? Uh, my guess would be no, cause they'd end up making fun of their own companies stupid-dumb workings. I don't even know what I'm talking about anymore, I just know I'm angry now for some reason. I'm gonna go eat some cheerios, eating makes me happy, and I'm a fat-turd.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I would have rather seen Micheal Fatty-Moore make a movie about the politcal games within the mainstream advertising companies. That would have been some good stuff? Has anyone done that?
Go rent Merchants of Cool

Originally Posted by OG-
Go rent Merchants of Cool
Is that the kind of movie was talking about?