If you could kill one director...

Tools    

I am having a nervous breakdance
Who would it be and why?

Or to put it a bit more civilized: which director do you wish would just stop? I mean, there are a number of crappy directors out there but most of them do us little or no harm. But is there a famous director that does really well in the business but that annoys the hell out of you?

Here in Sweden with have a nearly non-existing film industry because of our tiny population (9 million). That means that it's really hard for filmmakers to make it and stay succesful and most of them are dependent on funds from various institutes and authorities.

Anyway, there is this swedish director called Kjell Sundvall that is very well established here in Sweden (will probably never make it internationally). For some reason the Swedish Film Institute finds him invaluable and keeps funding every project he comes up with. Which are mostly second grade attempts to make american action movies but in swedish and with 1/10 of the necessary budget. It's really embarrassing.

So, Herr Sundvall. You're going down...

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Theres always some amount of enjoyment you can get from most films, so i dont really wish anyone wouls stop, if there wernt bad films, then good films would be, well, hmmm. The directors i would like to stop are ones ruining established careers and sell outs.
-Wes Craven
-John Carpenter
-John Woo

Michael Bay
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Official Sacrifice to Holden Pike
The talent of Luke Greenfield. We should all be able to live life without such great films as The Girl Next Door and The Animal. After I see a prview that screams lameness, I run to IMDb and look it up. I make a little "Black List" of all the Hollywood people I can't stand. Luke Greenfield is the worst director to crop up in 2000. I agree with Holden's nomination as well. He came up only once for me and that was with the movie Armageddon but after looking him up again, I see he also did Pearl Harbor. Ew.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Wes Craven and John Carpenter are by absolutely no means sell outs. They have continually made movies they've wanted to make. A sell out would do it for the paycheck. They do it for a challenge.

Paul W.S. Anderson on the other hand...

I See You When You're Sleeping
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Michael Bay
You got there first.

I would make him watch Peal Harbour whilst sitting on Ben Afflecks' chin.

i say Michael Bay also. all i have seen from him are bad boys 1 & 2 and pearl harbor and i hated all of them

I don't see where such disdain for Michael Bay comes from. He sets out to make cliche ridden action romps and I'd say he is actually pretty damn good at it. I don't have a problem with cinematic cliche's being overly used if they fit the context of the movie. I feel like if I'm going into a Michael Bay movie, I know what I'm gonna get. He doesn't lie to the ticket buyers.

I've never seen Pearl Harbor though, but I can assume that mixing those cliches with something as emotionally intrensic as Pearl Harbor probably wasn't a very good thing. But, as a possible defense for why so many people liked it, Bay's original cut of it was rated R. That isn't to say that an R rated film is automatically better than a PG 13 movie, far from it, but it could explain why it isn't a very good movie because the director, for the sake of sales, had to slice out alot of his original vision for it. I think there are actual plans of having his R rated cut released on DVD, so it'd be interesting to see the reaction to that...

Sidenote, did anyone know that Michael Bay directed that Levi's commercial with the invisible people making out...the one with the girl in the red top strattling the guy. That commercial was pretty steamy.... But that isn't why he shouldn't die.

I'd save Michael Bay shouldn't die over someone like Paul W.S. Anderson because he simply doesn't lie to the audience. He doesn't pretend like he is doing something with these films that they aren't. Anderson, on the other hand, is a lying piece of ****. He makes ****ty movies and then makes up excuses for why they were so ****ty.

...um. The movies of which you speak where Bay doesn't "lie" to the audience...are horrible movies. I did not waste my money to see any of them in theaters and I suspect he wonders why he never has gotten an academy award. I'll betcha!

Originally Posted by OG-
Wes Craven and John Carpenter are by absolutely no means sell outs. They have continually made movies they've wanted to make. A sell out would do it for the paycheck. They do it for a challenge.

Paul W.S. Anderson on the other hand...

I did think after i worte the reply it would sound like that, i know Carpenter and Craven aren't sell outs and was referring to John Woo and sells out in general being killed....

I'm all for Paul W.S. Anderson, although Event Horizon scared the crap outta me and i am glad to have seen Resident Evil, Mortal Kombat and AvP on screen, regardless of how good they were. Although i assume if he were dead, then some other director would mash up the video game franchises etc anyway.
Micheal Bay, i enjoyed more of his films than i despise. He gives the audience what it wants.

Originally Posted by OG-
I'd save Michael Bay shouldn't die over someone like Paul W.S. Anderson because he simply doesn't lie to the audience. He doesn't pretend like he is doing something with these films that they aren't. Anderson, on the other hand, is a lying piece of ****. He makes ****ty movies and then makes up excuses for why they were so ****ty.
You mean Bay admits his movies are crap?

Yeah, that's what I meant actually. Nice, Pid.

You mean Bay admits his movies are crap?
That assumes that his movie are indeed crap, when half the time they aren't. They're supposed to appeal to the basic of pleasures and they do a pretty damn effective job of doing so. What do you expect out of a movie about mercenaries who take over Alcatraz? What do you expect out of a movie where drillers have to become astronauts? What do you expect out of a movie about two off the wall cops who like to blow things up? The only Michael Bay movie I can think of that would have let people down with having high expectations about actual content would be Pearl Harbor.

I see your reasoning, P.
However, I don't think Bay makes those movies with such low expectations. You're talking about what drives the people to go see them, not why Bay makes them. He doesn't make those flicks with the intention of just serving the masses some entertainment. I can safely assume he makes them because he thinks they're really good.

Originally Posted by OG-
That assumes that his movie are indeed crap, when half the time they aren't. They're supposed to appeal to the basic of pleasures and they do a pretty damn effective job of doing so. What do you expect out of a movie about mercenaries who take over Alcatraz? What do you expect out of a movie where drillers have to become astronauts? What do you expect out of a movie about two off the wall cops who like to blow things up? The only Michael Bay movie I can think of that would have let people down with having high expectations about actual content would be Pearl Harbor.
To tell you the truth, I have only seen one film by the man: Armageddon. However, I thought it was complete crap.

I know what you mean, I think. You talk about Bay's films kind of like the Mac Donald's of movies. People know what they get and definately get it too. But films aren't fast food but something much more artistic than that (I'd like to believe). Just like fast food films like Armageddon are only being made to make as much money as possible as fast as possible. They are being made after thoroughly calculated formulas with just the right amount of Bruce Willis, Aerosmith and 20 minutes of spectacular computerized special effects. The will to do something original is close to zero while the commercial potential is optimized.

I know too little about Bay to kill him off, but Armageddon is pure crap to me.

[EDIT] Oh, and one more thing. Your post implies that if Bay was killed people would actually be robbed of something they really liked. But I think that the people who like Bay's films probably don't see them because he's the director but because they like the actors that are in it. And if Bay was killed I think there are dussins of other directors that could fill his shoes. No one would miss him. Not even his "fans".

And just so you don't think I don't respect your view:

pft.
Softie.

I can safely assume he makes them because he thinks they're really good.
Knowing more about the director than you do, I can safely say he makes them because he thinks they're good at doing what they do. Which they are. :P