A black & white US film from the 55s to 65s

Tools    

Hello everyone.

I'm looking for a US film, in Black and White, that I saw on a French channel at the end of the 80s, but which dates, in my opinion, from the period 55-65 (not before, probably not after).

Beautiful black and white image, west coast US region I think (but not sure). The sea is not far.

More of a thriller atmosphere, but not 100% tense.I only saw the last 20 minutes: a tall, strong blond guy, like Sterling Hayden, who is more or less on the run and ends up in a big house (not far from the sea?) where a woman comes to give him advice (to surrender? To do or not to do a particular action?...).
There is also a history of rivalries (male around this woman, or another woman?)

The most significant thing is the atmosphere: humid, it's hot, windows half open, curtains flying in the wind, large ceiling fans spinning,... There is an unbearable heat which also weighs on the characters and in particular the guy in the house.

Something else: very striking Caribbean/Afro-Cuban music.

The very clean Black and White and the Afro-Cuban music make me think it's from the early 60s.

Last clue: the film that most resembles it is Kubrick's "The Ultimate Raid". But a lighter finale I think, and it's a rather minor film, but complex and quite interesting.

A little idea?...

Why are you certain it is not before 1955?

Because of the afro-cuban music in the background. I think it was "fashionable" after 1955 (I may be wrong). The aesthetics of the images too (even if it was black and white).

It is a long shot, but maybe "The Chase" (1966) ?

Most everyone in town thinks that Sheriff Calder is merely a puppet of rich oil-man Val Rogers. When it is learned that local baddie Bubber Reeves has escaped prison, Rogers' son is concerned because he is having an affair with Reeves' wife. It seems many others in town feel they may have reasons to fear Reeves. Calder's aim is to bring Reeves in alive, unharmed. Calder will have to oppose the powerful Rogers on one hand and mob violence on the other, in his quest for justice.

I could be very wrong, but I don't see a West Coast movie having Caribbean music. I think that points to maybe SE USA(Florida) or a Caribbean island.

Here's the soundtrack to The Chase 1966. https://www.soundtrack.net/album/the-chase-john-barry/ I didn't hear any hints of African or Caribbean music in this soundtrack.

The OP might be confoozed so I'm going with I Walked with a Zombie.

Human Desire with Glenn Ford fits the bill. Gloria Grahame and Broderick Crawford are the other leads. Also FYI Carribean music has always had some popularity in the US. I’ve heard it and seen popular South American performers in even older Hollywood movies.

The OP might be confoozed so I'm going with I Walked with a Zombie.

That was going to be my suggestion too!

Hello and thank you for your answers.

The Chase : oh no, It’s a much lesser known film. And The Chase is not B&W. And there is no really famous actor or actress in this film.
Human Desire : no, for the same reason (no actor really famous). And the ambiance of the film I research is very more recent/modern
I Walked with a Zombie : not either. It is not this ambiance, and this period. Really more recent.

Think about the film "The Ultimate Raid" (1956) from Kubrick. Or "The Last Picture Show" from Bogdanovich (1971). I think the film was maden between these two...