The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

→ in
Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by redotizen
Thanks Sedai Good point about the spoilers; I had clean forgotten about it.
Ohhhhhh, not to worry, I had to have some of my posts edited when I first came as I just unleashed a bunch of comment and spoilers. Takes a bit to get into the groove. Another caveat...I would steer clear of the name-calling argument threads that a few members seem to always mire themselves in, I have read a few of the threads and they really just leave a bad taste in my mouth. The other side of the coin being, the reason I like these forums, really more than any forum I have been on, is that there are a slew of good folks here as well. Also some DAMN intelligent folks with a great eye on the world and the world of film. They keep me here. I think you might be this type of person, if your posts are any indication.

Sedai
On a mission to help improve overall content at MoFo

I just saw this - finally. I had no expectations going into this, altho I did enjoy the first two installments. As in the others, there were some scenes (as has been mentioned by others) that I didn't feel were needed at all but I do have to admit I ended up enjoying it nonetheless. I don't think I need to go into further detail as I think most people have already covered everything in past posts.
IMO, cinema at its best: Ben Hur had its time, LOTR now has its.

Loved them all,loved this but thought it dragged out for to long.

One thing that i wondered was where was everybody after the battle.Every one seems to disapear.We didnt see that many people die and there were not that many bodys on the plain.

And when they marched on modoor there were hardley any troops.????

There were no injured soldiers rolling around calling for help or dying in agony.

All we seen were the films main characters all meet up relativley close on that huge battle field.Strange.

yes I felt that while in The Two Towers the battle at Helms Deep was so personal and you felt such a connection because it was so up close and it was so hopelesss, and then at the battle of pellenor fields, which should of been even more personal I was terribly dissapointed with that aspect. and as far as finding out more on what happened to the characters I would suggest you read the books, the movie missed out on a lot of stuff.

Originally Posted by JOELCORE
Loved them all,loved this but thought it dragged out for to long.

One thing that i wondered was where was everybody after the battle.Every one seems to disapear.We didnt see that many people die and there were not that many bodys on the plain.

And when they marched on modoor there were hardley any troops.????

There were no injured soldiers rolling around calling for help or dying in agony.

All we seen were the films main characters all meet up relativley close on that huge battle field.Strange.

I seem to remember Theodin dying in a field full of bodies in a great scene with Eowyn....

Originally Posted by Sedai
I seem to remember Theodin dying in a field full of bodies in a great scene with Eowyn....

You remember well my friend. Straight out of the book. Many people died in that battle, I don't know what JOELCORE is talking about. (no offense JOELCORE) Lots of Rohirrim were killed by the Oliphaunts, and many Gondorian soldiers were killed by catapults(sp?) or Nazgul.

WARNING: "The Return of the King" spoilers below
Theoden's death is played out better in the movie that in the book IMO. The way Theoden dies in the book, is his horse Snowmane rears up, gets shot by the Nazgul, and Snowmane falls on Theoden. The fell-beast lands on Snowmane and begins to eat it, then the whole Eowyn scene follows correctly in movie/book.

So there ya go. . .
And found he was eating his shoe.

Originally Posted by led_zeppelin
You remember well my friend. Straight out of the book. Many people died in that battle, I don't know what JOELCORE is talking about. (no offense JOELCORE) Lots of Rohirrim were killed by the Oliphaunts, and many Gondorian soldiers were killed by catapults(sp?) or Nazgul.

WARNING: "The Return of the King" spoilers below
Theoden's death is played out better in the movie that in the book IMO. The way Theoden dies in the book, is his horse Snowmane rears up, gets shot by the Nazgul, and Snowmane falls on Theoden. The fell-beast lands on Snowmane and begins to eat it, then the whole Eowyn scene follows correctly in movie/book.

So there ya go. . .
Now that I have spoken to more people about the film, It seems a lot of people are mentioning that the scene is so exciting and kinetic, that a lot of things kind of whisk by folks and you really pick up on a small percentage of what is going on, so some of the deaths may have gone unnoticed. I just seem to remember lots of bodies on the field and many slayings. After more viewings (which will occur of course ), I'm sure we will notice more of the events that occcur during this incredibly dynamic and wonderful scene.

The Strongest Girl Alive
I've seen it twice so far and the second time around I saw so much more, I was surprised!

The Adventure Starts Here!
Originally Posted by Django
Comparing LOTR with the original Star Wars trilogy, I think Star Wars has more of a plot and character development than LOTR ever had. The plot of the Star Wars movies is hardly arbitrary, because the motivations of the characters are quite explicit and the characters are also more fully explored and developed. So... in short, LOTR was fun... but still, kind of superficial, ultimately.

Just my opinion, though!
I'm sorry, but I'm still laughing over this comparison. Has anyone in his right mind ever accused the Stars Wars trilogy of plot depth and deep character development? Ever? Isn't that one of the basic flaws of the series -- that the plot and characters are fairly flat and two-dimensional? It's a fun, campy series that we go see for some basic reasons (special effects, ongoing basic story and characters we enjoy), but we don't go to these movies for epic tales of glory and deep emotionally moving scenes.

To try to say that the Star Wars movies had these things AND THE LOTR SERIES DID NOT is, to me, the height of absurdity. I looked for the smileys that would indicate you were kidding, but I found none.

Having said that, I'm still laughing at your comparison.

By the way, no one has mentioned the obvious comparison of the LOTR series to Wagner's RING opera. Tolkien acknowledged this debt, and this alone would dump LOTR into the mythology category, since it's easy to compare it to, ummm, a MYTH in an opera.

Just a few stray thoughts this morning....

The Strongest Girl Alive
I am actually really surprised that there are ppl who think these movies lacked a plot or that Star wars is in anyway better! I loved Star wars but I wouldn't even put it in the same category as LotR (I wouldn't put any movie in the same category as LotR). as for character developement well considering there are few static characters in this story due to their experiences I don't see why anyone could pick at this.
oh ya! as for the books... I also had trouble getting through them. They kinda trudged along at a slow pace and there was too much walking. the council at rivendale was painful. but in the end it was completely worth it cuz I know everything that wasn't in the film.

The Green Lantern
Awesome movie!! Loved it. The ending was long and slow. Just awesome!!
Let Those Who Worship Evil's Might.
Beware My Power...Green Lantern's Light"

--Green Lantern Oath--

"The Green Lantern Corps has battled against the forces of evil and chaos for a millennium. To serve is the ultimate honor."

In my opinion this part was poorest part of all movie. I loved the first two parts, and i harly could wait to see the third part. Probably my expectations were to great. I liked this third part, but i preffer the first two

"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Very cool.... thanks for the info Slay...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I can't wait till get outs on video and dvd anyone know when that is?No I did not get a change to look it up yet!
Sorry!Anyway I am going to buy it as soon as it comes out!Can't wait!See you around!JM I think this might be my favorite of all three of them!
Favorite Movie of all time:Star Wars!
Online offline boyfriend:AdarkSideJedi(brad)
Other Sites I belong tooeathcurse.com Darkmark.com and StarWars.com and Adult Swim.com!

I think the theatrical version is supposed to be released in May.

Originally Posted by projectMayhem
I think the theatrical version is supposed to be released in May.
Yea it is coming out in MAY?Cool that is just a couple of months away and It is also my b-day!I can ask for it for my birthday!Cool thanks!See you around!JM

crying shadow in the darkness
I saw it on new years eve before 12:00 and it was the perfect way to end a crappy year. I never thought it would end, dam it was long, but there's a good , all reason for that. But yea it was great, all the ends were tied up, ended perfectly.

"I know she's out there, I just need to look beyond the horizon, past the dark clouds in the sky, but in reality she only exsits in the real world, and not this horrible dream."

There seems to be some confusion about the faramir/denathor scenes.
It doesnt explain it all in the film, but hopefully in the dvd it will show why denathor lost all hope and went mad.
Also frodo went to the west with the elves as a reward for carrying the ring, where he will live forever.
I tought it was a great film, hopefully made better when the extended dvd comes out.