Favorite crappy movies from the olden days

→ in
Tools    

Fortune befriends the bold.
Well, when I think of old and not so crappy movies that I liked I think of like "The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad" and "Jack the Giant Killer." Back then they used alot of stop motion photography that looked hokey yet cool at the same time. This was the beginning of a new age in special FX, especially "Jason and the Argonauts." These are old movies and may be considered crappy by todays standards but like I tell my daughter, "Just because it is old doesn't mean it sucks and just because it is new doesn't mean it's good." A true film connoisseur appreciates the old and the new. I saw one called "The Giant Spider Invasion" when I was like 12, I liked that one also but it most likely sucked. Old and crappy means different things to different generations for obvious reasons. Have Fun Tomcattwist

Originally Posted by Tomcattwist
Well, when I think of old and not so crappy movies that I liked I think of like "The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad" and "Jack the Giant Killer." Back then they used alot of stop motion photography that looked hokey yet cool at the same time. This was the beginning of a new age in special FX, especially "Jason and the Argonauts." These are old movies and may be considered crappy by todays standards but like I tell my daughter, "Just because it is old doesn't mean it sucks and just because it is new doesn't mean it's good." A true film connoisseur appreciates the old and the new. I saw one called "The Giant Spider Invasion" when I was like 12, I liked that one also but it most likely sucked. Old and crappy means different things to different generations for obvious reasons. Have Fun Tomcattwist
I couldn't agree more.
But I think you'd have to look pretty hard to find someone who thinks Jason and the Argonauts is "crappy." And while the Seventh Voyage of Sinbad isn't as good as Jason, it's still pretty good. Of course, both of these films were made with the talents of Ray Harryhausen, the undisputed king of stop-motion animation. (Of course, Clash of the Titans also had Harryhausen's work, but it's not nearly as good a movie).

Oh, and I enjoyed Super Marios Bros,. even while I acknowledge its crappiness. Ut's a movie that knows it's pretty bad, and doesn't take itself seriously for one second.

Attack of the Killer Mosquitos, was pretty crappy

Originally Posted by carlB
Yes it is, but did you like it

There are those who call me...Tim.
Originally Posted by carlB
Sounds like a laugh to me.

I haven't seen many prior to 1960, and I don't consider anything later than that to be the "olden" days. The ones that I have seen, I thought were great. "The Phantom of the Opera"1925; "The Three Faces of Eve" 1952; "Casablanca" 1942; "Citizen Cane"1941; "The Grapes of Wrath" 1940; "Rear Window" 1954; "The Wizard of Oz' 1939; "David Copperfield"1935..the list goes on

Turbulence 2: Terror in The Sky
Turbulence 3: Heavy Metal

Don't tell Robin I'm here!!
Olden days!?? OLDEN DAYS!!?? Not all of us could afford to watch movies in the olden days, you rich, selfish, prick!!

Some of us were out saving mankind, but do I ever get a "Thanks, Gothamboy"?? Noooooooo. Do I get a, "Hey Gothamboy, way to go, do you want a cookie"?? Noooo! Well ya' know what!?? I DO want a cookie!! I freakin' love cookies!! I don't ask for much, just some love, affection, money, adoration, adulation, congratulations, moderation, pasteurization, magnification, and cookies. Oh, I've veered off the topic, haven't I? Sorry, Sunday's tend to drag sometimes.

I remember walking out of the theater when I went to see "Josh and S.A.M." with my brother. It was about two brothers and for whatever reason, one of them was a robot, and apparently they conspired to make a very, very crappy movie together. It sucked and I hated it. But dont' tell S.A.M., cuz he'd be older now, and who knows what he could be capable of. Not that I'm afraid or anything.....I'm Gothamboy, ya' know?

Randomly visiting for now
Originally Posted by gothamboy
Olden days!?? OLDEN DAYS!!?? Not all of us could afford to watch movies in the olden days, you rich, selfish, prick!!

Some of us were out saving mankind, but do I ever get a "Thanks, Gothamboy"?? Noooooooo. Do I get a, "Hey Gothamboy, way to go, do you want a cookie"?? Noooo!
If I knew a Gothamboy I'd give him a cookie for saving mankind sure, but I'm not going to feel guilty for watching movies, because someone called Gothamboy is saving mankind. If everyone was trying to save mankind and be a superhero then they would all just get in each other's way.

Plus even poor people in my town get to watch movies at Moonlight cinemas in the city. so I'm going to sit here and eat all my cookies and chat on Mofo.

p.s. Super Mario Bros. was good even though it seemed crap, while quite similar in many ways to a bad movie, there's certainly something compelling and appealing about it.

Ya gotta love the old Ed Wood Movies... I mean nothings better than Bela Lugosi in the water with a fake octopus killing himself with it's tenticales..

The Reaping 7/10
Transformers 8.5/10
Flight of the Living Dead 6/10
The Invisible 6/10
Return to House on Haunted Hill 1/10
Planet Terror 8/10
A Mighty Heart 7/10

Don't tell Robin I'm here!!
nebbit - You're welcome, and if I recall correctly, I rescued your cat from a drainage pipe in 1997.

SpoOkY - If that's the way you're gonna' be, then maybe I don't want a cookie from you. But one day......one day, my friend, you will find yourself in peril, and you will search the depths of your brain for a name to call out, and the only name you will uncover will be mine. Gothamboy. But unfortunately for you, I just might not hear you over the crunching of decade's worth of delicious cookies. How do you like dem apples?? Or in this case, cookies??

how about, Jason and the Argonauts. Pretty Crap.

A system of cells interlinked
All that Harryhausen stuff is enjoyable to me. The Sinbad stuff, Clash of the Titans..

People should also consider that all the movies we think are crap nowadays were enjoyed much more in the year it was made, because we have seen movies that have CG and huge stunts. Whereas back in the day movies stood out for being original, such as Jason and the Argonauts, might not seem as good nowadays but does show some CG and what lies ahead for cinema. However lots of old movies are still good when watched nowadays such as Halloween (1978) although I'm going into a different topic altogether now.....