Movie Tab II

Tools    

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Robocop 2 - On first glance this is a pretty worthy sequel. It's got the same sort of satire that the first one did, and plays out like a libertarian nightmare (the entire city of Detroit is privatized and bought by the corrupt Omni Consumer Products corporation), but it isn't as gonzo bugnuts crazy as the original, and the script is jut a bit...off. The part about the kinder, gentler Robocop is both funny and really off the mark, as screenwriter Frank Miller (yes, that Frank Miller) seems to love the sort of jackbooted fascism that would put a character like Robocop on our streets in the first place. Just read any one of his graphic novels of the modern era. Good but disconcerting.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Hey, Mark, did you ever give us your film totals for 2014?
He will when he finishes counting. That will be in 2023.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

The House of Small Cubes (Kunio Kato, 2008)

Glad you liked this short film. I also found it very poignant, an anime film that looks and feels very much like an European/French film. Reminds me of Chomet.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
These were the films I ended last year with and started this year with.

Walkabout

Spiderman 3
(REWATCH)
Porco Rosso

Love Story

It's a Wonderful Life
(REWATCH)
Onibaba

Goldfinger
(REWATCH)
The Abominable Dr. Phibes
+
You're Next
+
Alien

Summer With Monika
+
May
+

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Visually beautiful but overall not a story that I truly got invested in. Maybe it just caught me on the wrong day. But I liked the lead roles performance. I just never got emotionally invested in the film and didn't care about the characters enough. I'm a big character guy but I felt like the lead was saving the film the whole way. I'll have to see it again at some point.

If I Stay (2014):

Cold in July (2014):

What We Do in the Shadows (2014):

Starry Eyes (2014):

Maps to the Stars (2014):

Force Majeure (2014):

The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby: Them (2014):

Bronson (2008):

True Grit (2010):

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Kick Ass 2 - (rewatch) I liked this movie. It never got a fair chance in theaters with Jim Carrey disavowing it, and then the film being pirated more than anyone went to see it, but it's really cool. It's brutal, sometimes screamingly funny, and it should have led to Kick Ass 3. Now we'll never get that.

Kick Ass 2 - (rewatch) ...and it should have led to Kick Ass 3. Now we'll never get that.
The story of Kick Ass 3 exists but as for the third film, you never know what time will bring. Sure, Chloe Grace Moretz isn't up for playing Hit Girl but Aaron Taylor-Johnson can somehow renew his contract eventually. Plus, Moretz could or could not change her mind. Again, you never know.

Or, they might make a third (or not) with different people. Although if they do, that would be a horrible move.

City Slickers (Ron Underwood, 1991) (Rewatch)
+

The Little Mermaid (Ron Clements and John Musker, 1989) (Rewatch)
-

Wolf Children (Mamoru Hosoda, 2012)
-

An American Tail (Don Bluth, 1986) (Rewatch)
+

Ernest and Celestine (Stéphane Aubier, Vincent Patar and Benjamin Renner, 2012) (Rewatch)
+

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

The Matrix Reloaded (Wachowskis, 2003)

Carry on Constable (Gerald Thomas, 1960)

Andrew Bird: Fever Year (Xan Aranda, 2011)

A Boy and His Dog (L.Q. Jones, 1975)
-

Near post-apocalypse Phoenix, teenager Don Johnson and his much-smarter, female-sniffing dog (voice of Tim McIntire) scrounge for survival until they encounter an attractive female [human] (Susanne Benton).
Boyhood (Richard Linklater, 2014)
-
Requiem for a Heavyweight (Ralph Nelson, 1962)
+
Final (Campbell Scott, 2001)

American Hot Wax (Floyd Mutrux, 1978)

Disc jockey Alan Freed (Tim McIntire) coined the phrase “rock and roll” and helped many acts get started, but the radio and cultural establishment tried to quash him for promoting “sex music”.
Anchors Aweigh (George Sidney, 1945)
+
Carefree (Mark Sandrich, 1938)

Escape from New York (John Carpenter, 1981)
-
Nothing Lasts Forever (Tom Schiller, 1984)
+

Gentle, charming fairy tale about struggling artist Zach Galligan who takes a bus to the moon (with Bill Murray as a suspicious flight attendant) and finds his soulmate Lauren Tom there.
The Master of Ballantrae (William Keighley, 1953)
-
Diatoms (Jean Painlevé & Genevičve Hamon, 1968)
+
Birdman of Alcatraz (John Frankenheimer, 1962)

The Miracle Worker (Arthur Penn, 1962)
+

Half-blind tutor Annie Sullivan (Anne Bancroft) comes south to try to teach equally-stubborn, deaf, dumb and blind Helen Keller (Patty Duke) discipline and communication.
Freshwater Assassins (Jean Painlevé, 1947)

Sea Ballerinas (Jean Painlevé & Genevičve Hamon, 1960)
-
Pigeons in the Square (Jean Painlevé, 1982)

Le vampire (Jean Painlevé, 1945)

Vampire bats can drain a guinea pig of blood in about five hours by attacking them on their nose, anesthetizing them, and slurping away.

Did you like Boyhood more or less this time around, Mark? I can't remember your initial rating.

Basically the same. It seemed better this time most of the way and then faded a little at the end. Before, I was more underwhelmed by it but gave it extra credit for effort.

Arabesque (Stanley Donen, 1966)
+
Remember? (Norman Z. McLeod, 1939)

Four Dragons (Clhor, 2008)

Alien (Ridley Scott, 1979)

An alien sure would make a nice pet or wedding present.
Clouds of Sils Maria (Olivier Assayas, 2014)

Serena (Susanne Bier, 2014)

This Is the End (Evan Goldberg & Seth Rogen, 2013)

Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex * But Were Afraid to Ask (Woody Allen, 1972)
+

A large breast and a supply of napkins sure would make a nice birthday present.
The Lorax (Chris Renaud & Kyle Balda, 2012)

Week-End Marriage (Thornton Freeland, 1932)

Cocoon (Ron Howard, 1985)
-
The Judge (David Dobkin, 2014)
+

Successful defense attorney Robert Downey, Jr. comes home for his mom’s funeral and stays to defend his estranged father Robert Duvall, a judge on trial for a killing.
More (Mark Osborne, 1998)

The Zero Theorem (Terry Gilliam, 2014)

Back in the Day (James Hunter, 2005)
-
Night Moves (Kelly Reichardt, 2014)

Green advocate and eco-terrorist Jesse Eisenberg feels his cause is just when he and his cohorts blow up a dam, but things continue to spiral out of control.
War Hunt (Denis Sanders, 1962)

Pasternak (No Director Listed, 1965)

The McConnell Story (Gordon Douglas, 1955)

Jeremiah Johnson (Sydney Pollack, 1972)

Filmed in majestic Utah, this tells the tale of a mysterious Robert Redford who comes to live in the Rockies, suffers loss and carries out a personal war against the Crow, all set to an expressive song score by Tim McIntire.

Hey, Mark, did you ever give us your film totals for 2014?
Didn't see this before. 2014 results (or pack of lies - you decide) 4095 movies seen; 1967 seen for the first time; 500 hours of sleep

The Fall Guy (David Barclay, 1955)

Lights of New York (Bryan Foy, 1928)

Point Break (Kathryn Bigelow, 1991)

Selma (Ava DuVernay, 2014)

Martin Luther King, Jr. (David Oyelowo) is tired of waiting to get blacks the actual vote, not the unenforceable lip service he gets from LBJ (Tom Wilkinson).
Sidewalks of New York (Jules White & Zion Myers, 1931)

Goofy Movies Number One (Jules White, 1932)

The Usual Suspects (Bryan Singer, 1995)

Force Majeure (Ruben Östlund, 2014)

An avalanche leaves a lasting impression on a family after the husband runs away from it, his wife and his children to avoid it.
Humans Versus Zombies (Brian T. Jaynes, 2011)

One False Move (Carl Franklin, 1992)
+
American Sniper (Clint Eastwood, 2014)
+
Whiplash (Damien Chazelle, 2014)

Bullying conductor/teacher J.K. Simmons tries to get a reaction from young drummer Miles Teller. Is it to make him stronger or tear him down?
Facing Ali (Pete McCormack, 2009)

Three Little Girls in Blue (Bruce Humberstone, 1946)

Unbroken (Angelina Jolie, 2014)
+
Birdman (Alejandro G. Ińárritu, 2014)

Down-on-his-luck, former movie superhero Michael Keaton tries to reinvent himself on Broadway, perhaps while undergoing a nervous breakdown.
Big Eyes (Tim Burton, 2014)

Ah, Wilderness! (Clarence Brown, 1935)

Into the Woods (Rob Marshall, 2014)

The Imitation Game (Morten Tyldem, 2014)

During WWII. lonely mathematician/puzzle enthusiast Alan Turing (Benedict Cumberbatch) and a group of assistants try to solve the Nazis’ Enigma code which will reveal their strategic movements, but there turns out to be plenty of other secrets involving the situation.

Whiplash FTW